Wednesday, April 9, 2014

trailer relocation 2

TRAILER RELOCATION 2

Before we get to today’s topic, a short detour. Okay, first off, I’ve never gotten my grubby little paws on a tactical sling. I’ve never seen close up pictures of them either. I’m winging it of spit and prayers here, so if it makes you feel better think of this as opening a discussion with those more experienced instead of me preaching or teaching. If I’m not totally showing my ass here, a tac sling holds your rifle in front and right side up and makes bringing the thing into position much easier and quicker. Re-inventing the wheel, I saw a “utility strap” in the dollar store, two straps for a buck and six feet long each. This are used to cinch together a stack of boxes or bags and easily carry them with one hand. I figured it was a cheap and easy experiment.

*

The plastic clip holding the two halves together was flimsy, so I didn’t want any strain on that piece. I slipped the loop into the buttstock sling ring ( I’m trying to dredge up ancient remembrances of parts nomenclature here so bear with me as I use “thingamajig” and “whatsyamacallit” ) and tightly stretched the excess strap to the hand-grip part of the stock, wrapped it around several times and then tied the excess strap loop pointing up. Slipping the loop strap over my head and under my right arm, the butt plate of the rifle hung about six inches from my throat. I was able to easily and quickly shoulder and site the rifle and the strap did not hinder my grip. Now, I won’t say this was comfortable as it is basically a ten pound dumbbell on a necklace. But for short periods, patrol or perimeter duty, it might be feasible. And it was under a buck.

*

Back to trailer relocation. I can already hear you protesting. But, if I’m renting a small lot I can’t grow twenty three bushels of asparagus to eat on after the collapse. I can’t have my own firing range to test out my arsenal of plastic black carbines, nor do I have a place to stockpile one hundred cases of MRE’s. You can never afford a Yuppie Survivalist Mountaintop Concrete Bunker, yet you won’t leave your dead end job in the metroplex area, commuting two hours a day from suburbia, because all you have read about survivalism preaches twenty acres in the wilderness and battalion size arsenals. You won’t compromise, which is a nice addiction to perfectionism and not incidentally allows you to do nothing at all.

*

Modern farmed grains are a miracle you are stupid to ignore. Just as you can’t NOT rely on modern firearms and irreplaceable ammunition, you are better off stockpiling grains even if they can’t be replaced. In what other fantasy can you have enough calories to live on for a year, with only two and a half days working a minimum wage job ( only two if you don’t calculate storage container cost )? Compared to buying a farm, buying grains are tailor made for poor people. Stocking ten years worth is less than a years property taxes on even a small farm. Rent yourself a storage shed close to your rented trailer spot and even if it isn’t all that cheap, you now have food storage even for the smallest trailer. It isn’t perfect, elegant or long term, but it will do for now and is far better than nothing.

*

I’m not sure were the notion that only perfection must be sought after ( although we are all guilty at one time or another. Only lusting after Playboy quality gals, or Harlequin romance hunks as the case may be . Not wanting to be armed with anything other than the perfect weapon. Not willing to work at a “lesser” job ). A lot of that has social status baked into it. Which is why I tend to harp on that a bit- if you can see why you are doing something, sometimes it shows you that the action is suboptimal. If you can lower your sites to a decreasing rung on the socioeconomic ladder you can sometimes find happiness. Or surprisingly simple answers to otherwise confusing puzzles. For instance, I know that your typical gal equates your job with your worthiness. It doesn’t matter what you owe, what you own, it is all a matter of status. Since an assistant manager in retail is the minimum prerequisite for attracting the lowest level employed female, the probabilities are good that unless I’m attracted to a incurable drunk or drug user I’ll never again have a relationship. Unless one can smell out success if my writing starts getting a serious paycheck. Which isn’t very likely in an imploding economy. This insight will keep me from foolishly seeking online dates or other silliness.

*

Okay, a bit off topic there, although I’m sure it all fits together somehow. Ignoring Yuppie Survival advice, advice that is only feasible in a growing economy, and having a willingness to accept lower order solutions, however imperfect they be, is your road towards survivalist happiness. You want a quick and cheap solution to relocating, there you have it. Whether you have the gumption to pay the non-monetary price is a different matter. I still say it is better to go with junk land, but I’ll also admit that reduces your options. Renting both a spot to park a trailer and a storage area sets you up for eventual failure, but there are other solutions than simply owning or being homeless. It is risky, but if your area isn’t too god awful crowded you can squat on public land after everyone else is doing the same. Or perhaps then a buddy down the road will be willing to “rent” you a parking spot paid for in storage food. “Experts” don’t always have the best solutions. In part because they are protecting their economic interests, not just yours.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

3 comments:

  1. A tip from a whitewing dove hunter waaay down south. Tie yourself a loop of cord (not bungee unless its all you have) and run it through your belt. Rest the heel (top of stock butt ?) inside that loop on your thigh and you have a rest that takes a lot of the weight off your arms until you are ready to shoot. I'm no where smart enough to invent this - I've used this for many years as have others.

    Saw a nifty setup the other day along the road. Someone had sawn plastic 20 - 25 gallon barrels in half the long way (half moon shape) and placed the halves on a stair-like platform. This took up less floor space than having them on floor and (I'm guessing) allows any water runoff to water barrel underneath it. It was not tall - the highest barrel top (3 rows) was about 48" off the ground. No idea what was being grown, but I thought it was pretty nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the Bundy ranch standoff is in your area. How near is it to you? Looks like a part of America at least is starting to take notice of the big bad fed.

    ReplyDelete