Thursday, April 3, 2014

2 of 2 today-frackers part 2

FRACKERS 2

My mind, rarely a fine tuned German engineered piece of machinery in the best of times, was whirling at high RPM as I pondered how to overcome the latest two obstacles of my life which I admit are probably overdone and more drama than real issues ( or, as you might remember from before, what we term White People Problems ). But, as the wife and I are yet again split up ( I think it might stick this time since my libido is actually cooperating this time. The Little Brain was only too eager to take a vacation for once after decades of harassing and tormenting me ), I have WAYYY too much free time on my hands. The peace, quiet and tranquility are very nice, but unfortunately just as nature seeks to fill in all empty spaces with some form of life, my brain needs to always fill a pause with some distraction. How am I supposed to both gain a measurement of validity to my efforts writing AND have a back-up plan in case the thriving metropolis of Elko is thrown into another boom town growth spurt from frackers?

*

I went looking on E-Bay for land yesterday and I have to admit to massive failure. Yes, it always takes weeks of looking before that perfect property comes along. But just a casual perusal tells me that while there is plenty of land available to you poor schlubs still held captive by landlords in the big city, compared to where I’m at myself the pickings are sub par. I didn’t see much that matched the price I paid, in a friendly zoning area, with surface water close and jobs an easy bike ride away. I have little desire to go to East Texas which has unfriendly weather, unfriendly ghetto neighbors and unfriendly employment prospects ( I could get on with Wally here and then transfer, but I don’t like Dallas a hundred miles down the road with a million people )( if that appeals to you, I’m still willing to sell the double mobile home lot for $300 plus transfer fees-utility hook ups at the lot edge. Five miles to Gun Barrel City ). What is a brother to do?

*

If Elko starts growing again, and again this is only a possibility not guaranteed, another idea is instead of moving out of town, I just quit working full time. This way I avoid the crowds of hostiles more often than not. I’d rather quit completely, but for that I need a smidge more income from writing. So I’m going to give a concentrated push on writing a new novel and see what kind of response that gets. Sad but true, you get more recognition from fiction ( I‘ll try to finish Loco Gringos this month ). If I have to feed the need for entertainment ( actually, distraction from reality is more like it ), and it earns me enough money to go hermit, I’ll go that direction. Yes, I know, my fiction is an acquired taste. I’ll just remind my haters that when I started writing non-fiction I was no where near as good as I am today. My fiction will improve with practice. So, the month of May is it. I give myself one month to bang out the bulk of the book. I can’t start now as I have a vacation visiting the folks coming up, and the weather is terrible with lots of overcast. I can’t write nightly without enough sun the next day. I’ll tweek it, but I’m thinking I’ll post twice or three times a week. Just for the one month and then we go back to all weekdays. If it’s a dismal failure, okay. At least I have to try. Stay loyal, minions.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

19 comments:

  1. " I didn’t see much that matched the price I paid, in a friendly zoning area, with surface water close and jobs an easy bike ride away."

    That's just it James. I've often thought to myself just how unique of a situation that you're in?

    Everytime I've tried to look for cheap land, it was generally so remote, that it wasn't anywhere near any kind of work. You also often have the problem of having to be accepted into the community before anyone would ever consider hiring you.

    So I would have to say that Elko is very unique in this regard, and I would excercise caution before your next relocation? If there were a way that one could garner a living from the internet, then the choice of location becomes easy. But I think easier said than done?

    Do you still have that Elko land farther out? You could always "keep your ear to the rail track", and at the first sign of trouble, hightail it out to the more remote parcel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I moved here I looked like more of an idiotthan usual. Now, perhaps not so much? Jury is still out. Yep, kept my other lots and if fiction pans out I can go hermit out there.

      Delete
    2. I keep telling ya mon...jes go on up to Duck Valley and find a nice native american lady. You be fixed then bro....That place is frickin remote and I'd give at least my left nut to live there. It don't get more remote from the big city than where Duck Valley Indian Res is. I'm sure there's a fine local lady just waiting for yo pale skinny butt lol. Seriously ya'll need take a drive up to the Snake and back if ya'll never be up that way. Some choice areas all thru that strip ( Duck Valley has water) But for that matter so do Brunoe and Grand View on the Snake. But they are pretty small towns.

      Delete
    3. I've heard it is even colder there than here, however.

      Delete
    4. It's all realative after a certain point ain't it ? Hell anything below 70 anymore is artic to this boy lol. But it don't hardly matter much once it drops below freezing. 5 or 10 degrees don't make much difference overall. That's the problem ,any place that ain't crowed already is going to have drawbacks.....

      Delete
    5. Tru dat. 15 or 30 below, no biggie.

      Delete
  2. I love where I live: fresh water, few neighbors (most of whom I actually like) off grid. It's a nice place. However, if real estate ever goes crazy here again I'd entertain serious offers. I'd rather move than draw a line in the sand. If the area becomes over populated moving on makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could move to Idaho and join the Yuppie Survivalists.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy the fiction and you are funny as hell - don't let the haters get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta ask Jim, did she take the in laws with her or are they still stuck in the trailer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stuck with both her and the Outlaws. But as long as I'm left alone it is no big deal. I think of them as neighbors in a trailer park.

      Delete
    2. Interesting implication regarding SHTF.

      You let folks in, they stage a coup, and you're the odd man out. You could turn this into a great fiction story. Just use the real event but add in an economic collapse.

      A word of advice on your fiction, don't ramble. You have a great, quirky writing style that I enjoy. However, you think that if a little rambling is good , a lot will be better. Don't do it!! It's always better to keep folks wanting a little more than giving them too much.

      Idaho Homesteader

      Delete
    3. Honestly, I don't know if I can hold back rambling. It seems to be my norm. I hear you, I just don't know if I'm capable.

      Delete
    4. simple anti-ramble cure I was taught: read the paragraph. does the whole thing move the story along? (yes is good) is the paragraph 4 or more sentences long? (bad) or refer to 3 or more objects or verbs? (bad) or have you described something a lot (more than a name and 2 adjectives = bad)?
      You can sprinkle factoids and clarifying descriptions throughout the text as long as it is no more than a sentence or so no more than 2 on a page.
      Do say "it was an old worn lee -enfield rifle" don't say " it was a lee-enfield mk 5 with the peep sights and still shiney with cosmoline it had dents on the stock where it had been used to beat in an enemies head" UNLESS the latter is really necessary to the story - imagination provides the details a story needs, and a story should be about the people and their actions

      Delete
    5. Okay, see, there's the problem. Not only did I like the second version describing the Lee-Enfield, I wouldn't have minded even more such as the description of the enemy and a short political commentary on his country. And then I would have gone on and on about how great the Enfield was, how it reflected the greatness of the former English Empire, etc. You see too much information and I see an opening to dazzle with more, MORE!!! After reading my last book, my dad essentially said the same thing to me about lack of continuity. And that was non-fiction which has fewer openings for that sort of thing.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about the troubles - though having time and tranquility sounds good...
    My solution: write a long (ish) piece every week and concentrate on your fiction.
    As to the fracking - Martin Armstrong repeats almost every day in his blog that, in his model, which explains "everything", the Final Collapse will come in Fall 2015. Perhaps your area won't be wrecked until then...

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out this Martin fellow-never heard of him. I really would like to focus on the fiction. Perhaps once a week would work-I'll ponder.

      Delete
  6. Maybe someone will offer to put a well on your acre ...just start raising a huge stink.

    C in KS

    ReplyDelete