Thursday, March 6, 2014

torture

TORTURE

It wasn’t not all that long ago ( as measured in Old People Time ) that while I knew the basic core of anthropological teaching ( it is all about the food, stupid ), I didn’t know any specifics. After a little research and a lot of pondering I’ve gotten most “abnormal” behavior viewed from an evolutionary standpoint, and it mostly all makes sense. Battlefield rape, far from being reprehensible and incomprehensible ( it is, granted, from an individual standpoint, but not from a species survival standpoint ) makes perfect sense if you understand that is the way the genetic material in a closed society is replenished and the stronger traits of victors are passed on. Killing the attacked village infants might seem cruel and heartless, but it serves the same purpose as the male lion killing off the new females litter spawned by a different mate. The stronger males genes survive. And, in the great scheme of things, far better to spare the suffering of a child slowly dieing from starvation and exposure. This is not to excuse bad behavior but to explain it. Because when an action is caused by our programming, it is going to happen again and again and you had best prepare for it.

*

I haven’t figured out why torture has been so widespread and pervasive throughout history. What evolutionary purpose could it fill? I understand the cultural aspects. Torture against sub-species is not viewed as wrong by most ( our use of monkey’s in science experiments ), and in an environment where ALL outsiders are sub-species it is seen as “no harm, no foul”. When you capture enemy soldiers or leaders, the desire for revenge is strong. Plus, it could be a motivation by your own leaders. Fight to the death on the battlefield or you will soon wish you are dead as you are being tortured by your enemies. Now, while I understand that the typical survivalist fantasy of “I’ll be the sole survival and become king of all I survey and I shall lead the righteous to victory and be leader of all the lands in my kingdom” is escapist nonsense, let’s play the game anyway. How do you prevent unpleasantries of war such as torture, rape and infanticide?

*

Your best bet for protecting your civilian population is a bug out location with food stocks and seeds ( the village is attacked to steal all the crops ) and an early warning system hopefully not dependent on soon to be repair-less or power-less electronics. Aside from that, and village militias, consider the extra cost of retaliatory measures. This also works to help stop the practice of torture on your troops ( massive retaliation on one hand, and your troops practicing civilized warfare on the other ). If you are willing to direct a disproportionate response ( they destroyed a village, scorch earth three of theirs. They tortured one of ours, we take out a whole village ), every time without fail, regardless of cost, your very big stick should force compliance with your neighbors as far as conducting war. Remember, you have to force people to act good, good times or bad.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

12 comments:

  1. hello mr Dakin.
    im young but wen I grow up I wanna be like you a survivalist
    my qwestion today about tourture because mommy is tourtoring daddy every nite I can here emm at nite. I caug mmomy sayin to her sis (aunt mary) I ate my husband all nite long her sister (aunt mary) said to her that she used to doit all so logn tim ago . are they aliens?
    im gona run away and be like you a survivalist. im gona live in a hole like you

    is my mom a canabil? is my daddys organ was eating? wate we don't hav an organ. don't understand.

    Can I get a buicuit?

    boy survivalst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad Minion! BAD! No biscuit for you, making me wade through all that misspelled uncaped sillyness.

      Delete
  2. A young man was wandering, lost, in a forest when he came upon a small house. Knocking on the door he was greeted by an ancient Chinese man with a long, gray beard. "I’m lost," said the man. "Can you put me up for the night?"

    "Certainly," the Chinese man said, "but on one condition. If you so much as lay a finger on my daughter I will inflict upon you the three worst Chinese tortures known to man."

    "OK," said the man, thinking that the daughter must be pretty old as well, and entered the house. Before dinner the daughter came down the stairs. She was young, beautiful and had a fantastic figure. She was obviously attracted to the young man as she couldn’t keep her eyes off him during the meal. Remembering the old man’s warning he ignored her and went up to bed alone. But during the night he could bear it no longer and snuck into her room for a night of passion. He
    was careful to keep everything quiet so the old man wouldn’t hear and, near dawn, he crept back to his room, exhausted but happy.

    He woke to feel a pressure on his chest. Opening his eyes he saw a large rock on his chest with a note on it that read, "Chinese Torture 1: Large rock on chest." "Well, that’s pretty crappy," he thought. "If that’s the best the old man
    can do then I don’t have much to worry about." He picked the boulder up, walked over to the window and threw the boulder out. As he did so he noticed another note on it that read "Chinese Torture 2: Rock tied to left testicle." In a panic he glanced down and saw the line that was already getting close to taut. Figuring that a few broken bones was better than castration, he jumped out of the window after the boulder. As he plummeted downward he saw a large sign on the ground that read, "Chinese Torture 3: Right testicle tied to bedpost."

    Thank you for the post.

    Dr. Shitfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good crap, that was funny! Thank you for the chuckle.

      Delete
    2. No biscuit?

      Dr. shitfinger

      Delete
    3. My apologies! TWO biscuits for that one ( the extra is for all that typing )

      Delete
    4. That was an awesome joke - thanks for typing that out Dr. SF.

      Torture was probably a revenge for the hurt inflicted during the earlier battle. The winner probably lost some friends, and / or family and watching the killer dying in pain helped him cope with the loss.

      Delete
  3. you don't understand torture?

    you write crappy book reviews.

    your minions understand torture.

    your wife understands torture.

    your underwear and bike seat understand torture.

    tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I understand torturing others. I don't understand torture from an anthropological perspective.

      Delete
  4. aas one of those "sub species" tortured "for fun" from time to time, it is remarkable the species whom tortures us freaks out when they get tortured back

    I am an alien

    am proud to be me

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously the days of interesting and informative comments are gone. Where is Vlad when we need him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Vlad suffers fools gladly. Which makes me wonder why he keeps reading me...

      Delete