Friday, March 14, 2014

SBJABOBno16

There will be guest articles this weekend.  Also, I'm taking a vacation day Monday so I won't get to e-mail or comments until Tuesday morning ( a Monday article will be pre-posted ).  Be safe, minions!
*
SBJABOBno16

ANOTHER BUG OUT BOOK

NETWORKING

I’m not positive it was Don Paul of Green Beret derived books fame that came up with the concept of a professional “A” team of survivalists, but his works ( not too bad for a beginner survivalist but I’d caution those of you whom are not on your first rodeo to be advised his stuff can be rather rudimentary ) were the first place I encountered the concept in the mid-80’s. You know what I’m talking about, every group should have a doctor and a mechanic and a martial arts dude and so on and so forth and ad naseum. Now, don’t get me wrong, when you are visiting Super Happy Place Land where all your wishes come true and even something as unpleasant as the near mass extinction of our species can be viewed through the Pollyannaish lens of the optimist ( we get to be king of the hill! ), this is the kind of fantasy that gets filed right up there with the mandatory twenty acres with field and farm and babbling brook and concrete bunker stocked with a half million rounds of ammunition. Way back in the day it was certainly possible for only the worthy rich folk to afford this kind of dream and to have the right connections with all the above mentioned professionals. Today, it is just a remnant of a militia masturbation based on an affluent society begetting this needed level of surplus, before it began disintegrating.

*

The sad truth is that you will NEVER find a group of professionals that are survivalists. If, and this is contingent on success, IF you can afford to shelter, feed, and arm a group, only then will you be able to attract the needed skill sets you think you need. Me, I think a mechanic is going to be a dying need as parts disappear. Doctors, while certainly one of the highest skilled individuals you will ever meet, are trained in Petroleum Age medicine and will have limited utility outside emergency surgery ( I don’t discount that need, I just wonder how many of us will survive the doctors retraining with more primitive tools ). A communication expert is just as limited once spares and electricity become extinct. All these skills are just a wish fulfillment to keep our Industrial Age going after the apocalypse. You WON’T find them, you can’t afford to bribe them and more likely than not you can survive without them. You are on your own during the die-off, and you won’t rebuild society until after the population re-sets to solar energy resource levels. And if you do get a chance to do so, you won’t need most of the old age’s professions based on petroleum infrastructure. Once you give up on the networking/affluence age reconstruction dream you can go about building a realistic affordable bug out location.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.


9 comments:

  1. You are right. I'm on special med's, those med's wont be available come TSHTF. My significant other is on insulin and needs refrigeration, besides she only gets a three months supply at the time. That's one of the reasons we don't prepare much. After TSHTF we wont last that long.

    signed.

    Noe schitt
    from some F'up place in the blue planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of the medical issues Noe. I've heard that some diabetics may survive with the radical diet changes that would come but am no expert.

    Jimbo, Ironically i have a group of neighbors including 2 doctors and a vet. A diesel mechanic, a gunsmith, and a retired Army guy with lots of experience, I bring retired LEO, and military comm and NBC we have a well rounded group. I am working on the food production and I have a long way to go but we have a pretty good skill set.These are all folks that know whats coming and are on board with different levels of preps. We have 300 acres between 4 joined properties and huge tracts of hunting land bordering us.We have a good start.t.

    Also have heavy equipment and some serious solar in the group. We have all this going for us and Im still realistic. Things will be ugly. Most of us are well equipped in the guns and ammo department.

    I know most won't get that lucky but I met a married pair of doctors that were preppers and we bought land together.And I sold a chunk to another prepper.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either you know how exceptional you are, or I'm totally wrong and most groups have such good OpSec you never hear about them.

      Delete
  3. I remember reading about the whole "group thing" in Rawles first novel, and though it sounds good on paper, most of the people I know are unreliable screwballs that I cant count on in times of crisis. Those that I can count on in times of crisis consider me too paranoid to start actively preparing for when SHTF.

    There is one guy that I know who is an active and level-headed survivalist, and he is 800 miles away.

    For me. Its about laying low during the die-off and then peeking my head up when some of the remaining quality people are easier to spot...and then approaching them. My local opsec is pretty extreme.

    Again, if you can make the group thing happen, more power to you. However, nobody has met my criteria yet, and I'm reluctant to start fishing for leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, it might be a little late to expose yourself now.

      Delete
  4. Jim, if they want my single shot 22 with a bent barrel and my half case of MRE's they can come get it. Yes OPSEC is a concern especially locally. I've tried to make most of my firearms and ammo purchases without any kind of paper trail. Only one of the Doctors knows most of my cards. Besides, your the only one here that knows where I live and that is one heck of a bike ride to get to me,

    Is my situation Ideal? Heck no. We don't know how things will go down. I've made an effort to get out of town in proximity to a great neighbor and asset. Found a spring after I bought the land. Had another good like-minded friend who moved back to the area and we worked out a deal to where he is likely a neighbor for life. I have alot to get done. Working on the less expensive tasks now.

    This article is why learning skills is so important. Try to cover as many bases as you can in your group. Take up hunting and fishing, gardening, you know the drill. Surfing the internet won't be a needed skill some day. (Guilty)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @anon I think there is some reading material on making insulin from sheep pancreas? Dunno the whole process involved. But, def worth reading up on, you know while the new diet kicks in and while the world wide information database still has its servers collecting all of our data.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still got it Jim. Good one.

    YKW
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-15/if-you-are-considering-buying-house-read-first

    Lots of good comments with this story. ZH comments are not what they used to be. Nice to see.

    Shocked to find out that living in a home and being off-grid is illegal in FLA.

    Gil

    ReplyDelete