Monday, March 31, 2014

nuke option

NUKE OPTION

I just got done reading the bulk of a very expensive package of books and I can’t really pretend to be all that excited. “Under A Graveyard Sky” by John Ringo was a kick ass military action sci-fi novel I devoured quickly and with enthusiasm, but it was NOT post-apocalyptic by any measure other than plotline ( and even then zombies could have just as easily been little green aliens ). “Decline And Fall” by Greer was not really about the collapse of American Empire as much as another argument for slow collapse we will all happily survive. Oh, it was a great treatise on the history of empires, the “wealth pump” he blogged about, and other subjects, but I came away feeling I’d been somehow cheated. I want population decimating decline and I get a Great Depression II hinted at. Okay, this is actually my fault. I know how Greer views doom and gloom. And most if not all the book material was posted on the blog so I knew what I was getting. I guess I just had too high of hopes for my paranoia being vindicated. I do want to counter one argument made, and that is Greer’s argument that nuclear war is probably NOT going to happen. I’d like to disagree.

*

Greer does not state that nuclear was is absolutely positively not going to happen. He says it probably won’t because it is irrational for the attacker. I think it is quite rational myself. His argument is that the cost of even minor retaliation is so horrific that no one is going to contemplate attacking. He gives an example of us nuking China over a Taiwan dispute. He assumes that we wipe out 178 of China’s 179 missiles ( going by memory here, I might be off some ). Only one gets through and glasses over San Francisco. 800,000 dead and untold billions of dollars. We might have “won”- China is an entire country glowing in the dark- but to do so we paid this terrible price. Or did we? Let’s go visit New Orleans, shall we? We certainly didn’t lose a lot of people ( although if I’m not mistaken it was certainly more than 9/11 ), but we didn’t “lose” billions either. The money was entirely corporate welfare, and it wasn’t taxpayer money but computer either units of currency. It is just more debt that is literally impossible to pay back. We never fixed or replaced New Orleans. It was a write off, only the most visible tourist attractions given a new coat of whitewash. And nobody is going to say it because of political correctness, but almost all casualties were not of the correct skin tone to worry about. We wrote off a city. Detroit is the same. It is being torn down one building at a time, or vandalized or weathered beyond structural safety. In a very short time it will become an actual ghost town. And we also don’t care about the casualties, one Black homicide at a time.

*

If no city actually produces anything anymore, if they are just filled with consumers, what does their passing cost an elite? If you are in charge of empire, and your coliseum full of welfare entertainment seekers collapses in an earthquake, would you care? None will make soldiers, or farmers, or pay taxes. Who gives a crap, in macro terms? Now, I can’t predict when the urge will be to our leaders to go nuclear. I know it will be out of desperation. When there is perceived to be no other choice. It was a glorious time in the Cold War when the huge cost of nukes paid their own way, because mutually assured destruction was really a thing. But that was back when everyone everywhere was also worth saving. When the country was chock-full of resources we needed. Nowadays? Not so much. After the palace is looted, all the artwork shipped overseas, does the fleeing king care if the sucker burns down? It might have cost a gazillion dollars, but it ain’t worth much anymore.

*

You don’t think so? Our entire infrastructure, untold millions of tons of copper and steel and concrete that no longer exist for replacement purposes are being allowed to rot so that the elite in corporate suites, D.C. and state capitals can keep the money rolling in. They are destroying city after city anyway, in another fashion. If staying in power another year has a price tag of a sagging dirty metropolises full of pillow biting fags being blown to bites, our leaders wouldn’t hesitate two seconds. Greer uses the example of Hitler never using poison gasses for fear of retaliation. And? The dumbass also made a lot of other strategic mistakes. NOT using them didn’t hurt him. He knew that gas wasn’t going to win the battle, let alone the war. Not using them had the secondary benefit of lack of retaliation, but he never had an issue buying victory with the bodies of soldiers. If gas could have won the war, he never would have hesitated. When using nukes is perceived to be about survival, or is thought to be the key to victory, they will be used. And as we no longer can afford a military, nukes look more and more like a relatively cheap weapon. In exchange for one of our cities? Sure, why not? What have they done for me as your leader, lately?

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

9 comments:

  1. Strange to think that Greer is the optimist. That in itself is a measure on how bad things have gotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really always has been an optimist ( our collapse 300 years like the Romans ). You don't make a decent living selling pure horror unless it is fictional.

      Delete
    2. Exactly James, no one wants to hear the real deal.
      Nice bit of script ya put out today with a whole lot of pure cold fact.

      Delete
  2. In all honesty.

    I don't give a crap. As long it does not affect me personally.

    I stay away from politics.

    They can kill themselves. I'll come back later to clean up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are already breathing in Fuki, used to breath in Nevada and Cherinobal. A little more shouldn't hurt

      Delete
    2. Shoot...I figure growing up in southern Idaho as a kid in the 50's , probably breathed in my share. Luck being the draw there, whole lotta my relatives have gotten cancer from that area around Twin Falls. So far not me .....
      But that be life eh. Live till ya don't, try to make the ride nice for however long it lasts.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you like John Ringo - he makes writing look easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think this one was written BETTER.

      Delete
  4. Greer does have some good stuff. I enjoyed his 3 or 4 part series of ameican collapse last year. Military defeat leads to etc and so forth. It was a good scenario. He doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that the free shit army Jang going to simply go out and get a job once the teat of government dries.

    ReplyDelete