Monday, March 3, 2014

grid down book review

GRID DOWN BOOK REVIEW

“Grid Down Reality Bites” was the first in the series, followed by “Grid Down Perceptions Of Reality Vol. 2 Part 1”. The next in line is the “Perceptions Of Reality Vol. 2 Part 2”. If you ask me, and nobody ever does until it is too late and they are stuck in a nasty divorce living under a bridge or just handed a pink slip after they took on twenty years debt for college tuition and then the caterwauling and moaning is heard “why, oh, why didn’t Jim warn me in time?” but of course I did and how is it my fault nobody ever listens, the second and third book should have been, also, Reality Bites, and then followed by the volumes and numbers. But, this might also be an intelligence test diabolically set up by the author to see if we can keep the order straight on a series of three books and if that’s the case I probably already failed and if I wasn’t so old I could rejoin the Army and be an officer because not only can I pound round pegs into square holes all day long, I obviously can’t sequence a few books properly, either.

*

Bruce “Buckshot” Hemming can write a darn good book. Don’t get me wrong, his style is far from smooth and he’ll never be a writer of classics. But however rough his presentation is, he gives you a story you don’t want to put down. And along the way you either learn a lot or are reminded of little essentials you might one day look back on and say, hey, thanks Buckshot Dude for throwing that thought my way cause it sure just saved my life in this suck-ass little apocalypse we are having. Some post-apocalypse books are information dumps, and that is great in its way. Some tell a great story but at the expense of realism ( Super Ninja Man stoop up from concealment and sprayed the advancing column of mutant biking communist un-American terrorists with his Big Bad Mighty And Righteous M-60 Rambo Killing Machine, laughing uproariously the whole time, knowing his Deluxe Survivalist Cave held many millions more rounds of ammunition along with an underground waterfall powered generator keeping three industrial size freezers humming providing him with five generations worth of Hungry Man TV dinners ).

*

Bruce’s books keep a bread crumb trail of helpful hints coming throughout the story, but not enough to be simply another instruction manual ( he goes for quality over quantity ). You are also propelled forward by the story. It might not be the most skillfully crafted, but it gets the job done. I kept reading and didn’t want to stop, so mission accomplished. And I would say that each of his books does improve on some front ( I would complain about the HUGE fonts in this book, needlessly wasting the diminishing Taiga with way too many pages, but I might be branded a Rainbow Warrior ). And I look forward eagerly to his next installment. If you like this series, the latest is highly recommended.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.


14 comments:

  1. "why didn't Jim warned me in time?

    To me, He did. I got my small travel trailer (used, cheap, vintage) work on it for a long time retrofitting it (everything works). I packed with food and of course my toys and when I was handed my pink slip my wife told me to take a long trip with no coming back. (see you in court, sucker!)..... I was ready and set up. Just pick up my fake BOB and walked out....Of course I never mention my severance pay and a little saving I had for incidentals.

    Only suckers that don't listen to the voice of experience "pay the price".

    Thanks Jim....." IT WORKED FOR ME."

    One of your minions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank all the gods AND their parents. Someone not blinding by "love", able to put together an insurance policy. Good job, keep on keeping on being a biscuit deserving minion.

      Delete
    2. That is nothing.
      I been divorced 3 times and survived every single time. Broke but horny for the next piece.
      Last one used to say. I married him for his money.
      I'll stay with him until he gets some.
      It never came true, finally I got her papers but there was nothing to collect.
      hahaha. she was the one working.


      My case is one of the tens of millions where we (the males) get to win.

      Follow my example not Jim's.

      Get them by the balls Ooooops , I mean get them by their upper mamaries.

      Delete
    3. Oooops. Do I get a biscuit too?

      Delete
    4. What, I'm made of money? Biscuits cost.

      Delete
    5. "Lord Bison"
      also known as:

      "EL CHEAP,OOOO"

      Delete
  2. I too am confused by the volume chapter thing. Perhaps us naval gazers could use some help. Overall, good books though. I would like to see a re enactment of the two chick duct tape fight scene, but the setting must include mud. I digress.

    How about an article about the usefulness of those snares or other "silent but deadly" techniques? Mine only make the occasional elevator ride more entertaining... For me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traps/snares are one of those things I have about zero knowledge on. Don't even think I could wing it. Very little wildlife here, except those rabbits with nasty intestinal parasites tht can kill ya. And even those are usually coyote/buzzard bait.

      Delete
    2. Traps and snares aren't hard and aren't expensive either. Just start with the extra large rat traps and start trying them out. They are definitely worth stocking up on even if you aren't using them yet- hard to replace the modern wire snares and spring loaded traps with found materials- especially without a good model or two.

      Delete
    3. I saw that the sportsman's guide had some snare sets that were reasonably priced. The spring loaded traps cost a lot more. You could always add some wire to your preps in order to fashion your own snares; the size being dependent on what size animal that you wish to snare.

      http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/search/eSearch.aspx?SearchTerms=snares&eMode=

      Wayne

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the link. Not sure of the price differance, but also Amazon. Which of course you buy through my link so I get paid.

      Delete
  3. I thought you were a little over the top with the Super Ninja example. But the blew off the top of the volcano when the featured weapon was the M-60.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I can't claim credit for that one. Heard it in the Green Machine whilst humping one of those metalic turds.

      Delete