Friday, March 28, 2014

100th monkey

100th MONKEY

Before we begin today’s electronic message of wisdom, a few odds and ends. If you run across a cheap rental or a disc on sale, or see it offered on cable, consider watching the movie “State Of Emergency”. I picked mine up for $2 at Family Dollar in their used DVD’s for sale bin ( along with a Rapture type movie that was surprising good- and now couldn’t remember the name of if you put a gun to my head ). It was your standard zombie apocalypse and not a whole heck of a lot happened, but it was relatively well made and, hold on to your jocks sports fans, the rifle the main character used was a Lee-Enfield!!!! Okay, it was sporterized, but still and all it was a friggin Smelly! Let me just tell you, sphincters were tingling. Okay, on to other things. Last week Bank Of America e-mailed me. Surprise, thanks for your two decades of patronage but we hate you and your money and have sold out the Nevada branches to some dump you’ve never heard of ( which makes me wonder how solvent they are, one of the Too Big To Fail banks, if they need to raise cash ). So now I have to go through the dreaded process of changing banks. This entails, among other things, changing all my credit card info at all the places I shop online and paying for all new checks. Well, I figure since I’m getting near Obammy level humped here, I might as well bite the bullet and also change my e-mail. I’ve been avoiding this for awhile even as I’ve been displeased with the company.

Old mail:

jimd303@netzero.com

New mail:
jimd303@reagan.com

I want to thank last weeks generous donor-there was only one and you know who you are-as I was easily able to pay the year up front ( with enough left over for plenty of bike parts bought cheaper online than locally, and even a treat for myself with some Pink Floyd and Stevie Nicks CD’s ). The good news, despite the literally hours and hours long waste of time the change-over is consuming, is that my e-mail costs are down to a third and my bank account is now one sixth the cost in monthly fees.

*

Yesterday was Laundry Bitch Day and I get home about 2:30. It is too nasty to stay above ground so I decide to watch a DVD ( about the third one in six months ) and chose “Collapse” with Michael Ruppert which I hadn’t seen again since I first watched it years ago. I respect the hell out of the man and if you enjoy geopolitics I’d highly recommend his first book “Crossing The Rubicon”. But as intelligent as he is, he also seems to have a blind spot, having his ego a bit too tied up with his career ( a failing I believe commonly shared with his generation ). He cares way too much if his message changes the world. And he fails to see why it won’t. He tells the story of the 100th monkey, where a group is trained to wash coconuts and when the 100th monkey is trained, suddenly thousands of others simultaneously start to do the same thing. I’m sure it is just anecdotal, but illustrates the tipping point of a meme. The problem is, you can’t teach anyone to go against their own economic interests, even if the obvious path is to destruction.

*

Some of us have no problem scaling back financially. But even then, it is because we believe that benefits us personally. As stupid as the masses are, the one thing everyone is capable of is calculating their own best interests. An otherwise drooling idiot can leap great mountains of intellectual reasoning to ascertain what is in it for them. You think Bush and Cheney were just greedy dictators? Their wars were popular because everyone knew it was about the oil. We all know what side of the bread is buttered. And this is the same reason Carter’s message to the masses was never accepted. To be the one to cut back and sacrifice just benefited others. Reagan came along with the right message-burn more oil and get rich. And every last swinging dingus was invited to the party. Ruppert wants us all to decentralize to save ourselves, yet this is exactly what can’t happen as it destroys too many peoples self interest economically. Stop trying to save the world and just save yourself.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.


15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the big bold letters. I don't have to use a magnifiying glass.


    Old Fart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine the novelty- text overwhelming the ads.

      Delete
  2. Hey there Lord Jim,

    Not exactly on today's subject - but check it out anyway.

    It'll help you sleep peacefully at night.

    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/silveira146.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. And while I'm linking things - and since you once again mentioned your undying love for the Enfield in today's writing - here's a bit of info on something similar. Made in India from 1963 to 1975 and still in use today in some areas.

    With your vast and vaunted trove of knowledge you probably are already quite aware of it, but here it is anyway for those who might not.

    What's not to love about an Enfield that fires the oh-so-common-but-increasingly-expensive 7.62x51 or .308 cartridge yet comes in a magazine fed bolt action configuration? .308 is still cheaper and WAY more available than .303.

    I have one of these and love it. Slick action (VERY fast for a bolt), way accurate and the cool factor is off the charts.

    What's not to love?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishapore_2A1_rifle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The part I don't love is the sites. Leaf and post crap.

      Delete
    2. Say what? They're effectively the same as the Lee Enfield.

      Sliding ramp rear sights, fixed-post front sights.

      Delete
    3. No. The WWI issue was the No.1. The WWII issue was the No.4. The No.4 has a rear peep. The No.1 has a rear V/U type. I've owned both and while the No.1 has the better bayonet, the No.4 has far better sites. I don't shoot all that great to start with so the improved site is a must for me. I can't remember about the scope mount, I owned the older rifles mid-90's.

      Delete
  4. In reality people trying to save the world only do it to make themselves feel better.
    just self-indulgent ego stroking - look at me, I'm saving the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two (and only two) reasons why anyone does anything. Reason number one is that it makes them feel good. Reason number two is that it DOESN'T make them feel BAD. Of the two, reason number two is more important.

      Delete
    2. And yet I'm an asshat when I act selfish.

      Delete
  5. I mean come'on, do these people on there oldtimers,cancer,save the whale walks really think their doing anything other than paying the organizers salarys?
    it just a social event and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are buying salvation, making it okay to hump others in business and make money. Bitches marry gold-dgger style and feel guilty their magic fem box is being paid such a huge salary. Give a local bum $5 and it is okay to kill small brown children overseas so we can steal their oil and drive our SUV's to buy a latte. Screw all that! Why feel bad? Our turn at getting exploited as a nation is next. My only regret is grandpa got all the riches from colonialism and all I get is a die-off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 100th Monkey - Humans also appear to go through the same sudden 'every body knows' thing- I am just wondering when it will happen for the realization that we are on the downward slope of - well, almost everything in our civilization.
    When we reach that point THAT is the final tipping point, that is when the little dribs and drabs become the massive gum up the works patties start hitting the rotary blades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the whole poathetic sad propaganda campaign is to keep the "10th Monkey Tipping Point" from happening.

      Delete