Tuesday, February 4, 2014

the sun also sets

THE SUN ALSO SETS

Every year here in northeastern Nevada in Elko there is some Gott awful Cowboy Poetry gathering. I do my best to ignore such embarrassments, my thoughts along the line of “way to gay up cowboys”. Which got me to thinking of England where, according to myth if not fact, there is more fudge packing going on than in a Christmas confectionary. And since I was just immersed in the natural order of empires I naturally got thinking about the British Empire where the sun was never supposed to set. The thing to keep in mind about empires of the last five hundred or so years was that most of them collapsed in another fashion entirely than was historically the norm. They didn’t use up their environment and crash from lack of resources but rather where eclipsed economically by their competitors. England was one of the first to figure out how to create an almost perpetual banking system ( we copied that, or perhaps the old English bankers brought it over to us when they bailed ship and they keep up the appearance of a domestic central bank for American consumption- I’m sure we’ll never know ) and they stayed on top of the heap of competing empires long enough to be crowned as the winner.

*

Now, you could say that jolly old England bit the big one in World War One, crushing the empire financially. To some extent this is true. After the war the economy was a pathetic shadow of its former world dominating glory ( you could argue that the American bank helped give it a little push as it teetered on the edge of the cliff so as to assume the mantel ). The Isles had the Commonwealth to help with troop levels, but they were also just as handicapped as Germany with a two front war. Germany to fight both the east and the west ( helping create the Bolshevik Revolution sounded like a great idea at the time but it did come back at them in the next war. Although it probably didn’t matter if they fought commies or czarist forces, they still had to fight Russia one way or another ) and the Brits had to fight both in Europe and the Middle East ( yes, also elsewhere, but they could short-change elsewhere with less danger ). One could argue that the lack of oil was what ended the Empire ( remember how Germany perfected the artificial nitrate problem prior to the war- they in effect had circumvented the English natural nitrate from India advantage. Meanwhile, the Brits had to transport that nitrate back home and the Krauts had its production in their backyard ).

*

American Empire was founded on oil. We’ve run out. The Empire is all over but the official recognition and mourning period. And not only do we collapse financially, mirroring the last five hundred years of empires, we also collapse from resource depletion, mirroring the last twelve thousand years. We get a double collapse.

END


The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

19 comments:

  1. Is always the same cycle. You prosper and at "almost at the end of your life cycle" you decline. " was a good run " but it had to end. Business, health, religion. " all the same ".. You'll be lucky if you get to see it for 2 generations.
    Ahhh " the cycle of life "

    I'm not pessimist, optimist but, yes, Realist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever find out who pissed in your glass?

      Delete
    2. Did you ever found out who was the person who say: " Can he put 10 rounds of .308 or 25 .22 l.r. or 10 12 ga. shells like me?? Is he still living in a trailer after so many years? If he does, then He Is a Loser...
      I guess he is right..!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads my drivel. I'm not living in a trailer anymore, but the Pit. The trailer is the sun room and storage.

      Delete
  2. everthing occurs in cycles

    when will amerika invent another world war to restart its econmy?

    maybe sooner than you want...

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A world war won't be possible, on our end. We'd disrupt our oil supply. And our artificial fertilizer supply. Not to mention lack of ore, lack of oil and lack of money.

      Delete
    2. I agree that we lack the resources to win another global war. BUT another war of pseudo conquest (like we did in most of our past dozen decades) in our regional back yard might work out providing more resources than it sucks out. In my book it will be against the drug cartels we created in mexico - we will be 'asked' (after some prompting) to move in, keep the peace, and administer governance. The increased efficiencies will allow for some looting, and the loss of life on both sides will relieve some population pressure. It will also secure our southern border. The mexican states will be our new continental puerto rico politically, and economicly we will strip mine them of everything we can.
      What to do about Canada though, Sigh, They are to arrogant about how 'nice' a nation they are- we need them to be invaded so we can rescue them (aka counter invade)....

      -Grey

      Delete
    3. I don't know- we can't occupy Iraq. Would Mexico be any easier? Especially with third columist latinos in our forces and citizen support up here from the latino population.

      Delete
    4. Why would they resist? we would bring stability, and end to lawlessness, a reduction in corruption, and the could end up with the same benefits peurto rico gets (all the citizens benefits with no chance of being drafted and lesser taxation...)

      -Grey

      Delete
    5. Mexico has its own corruption, we have another. The kind they have is what they are used to and can deal with. Which is why they wouldn't want to change it.

      Delete
  3. Wars can be great population control in this day and age of NBC type warfare.
    Thereby reducing demand for depleted resources....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuki is sure taking long enough.

      Delete
    2. Yup, it sure is...it will take the rest of our lives in the end if things aren't soon resolved over there...

      Delete
  4. Gentle reminder - please give us more of the adventures of Loco Gringos and the Apocalypse. John and Randy need to get the ladies and feed store grain before they're both gone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an outline for the rest of the story, and I even started on the next chapter. And then I petered out ( again, no off colored jokes ). I need to get my stuff together so I can finish this one up and move on to the next. Gentle reminders are fine, and actually needed. Sometimes I just don't think about it for awhile.

      Delete
  5. Lord James of the White Trash Irregulars...Have you received my humble order for your wisdom on thumb drive? I sent you an even twenty even though your works only cost $17. I am waiting by my mailbox your Lordship..

    Hows that for sucking up? Can I be promoted to a Vlad underling now and get a sprinkle of sugar in my gruel? I'm also still waiting to order my Team Bison wife beater t-shirt. Couldn't find the Amazon link.

    Keep it up James. Keep posting till the bastards shut down the internet.

    Nightshift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it hasn't shown up yet. Sufficient sucking up, I approve. And frankly, I don't know how I keep keeping it up ( please, no off colored jokes ) or why everyone still reads. But I'm not going anywhere.

      Delete
  6. I'm feeling lazy so I'll let Mike say it:
    “If we are lending money that ostensibly we don’t have to kids who have no hope of making it back in order to train them for jobs that clearly don’t exist, I might suggest that we’ve gone around the bend a little bit.”
    - Mike Rowe
    Spend that money - its free!

    ReplyDelete