Monday, February 10, 2014

SBJABOBno13part2

SBJABOBno13part2

ANOTHER BUG OUT BOOK

Junk Land, part two

Now, normally I’m considered quite frugal and you might be looking at me askew from amongst a cloud of befuddlement, wondering how I might be insane enough to spend three grand on a lot when there is oodles and gobs of perfectly good land going to waste as government parks, corporate forests or abandoned to back-tax private land all over the place. Besides being unemployment insurance, junk land is also a legal squat. You own it, and the cops won’t tazer you to remove you from it unless it is a really nice piece of land a politician can make money off of. Which is the whole reason to get land no one wants in the first place. Which is why it is cheap. And secluded. Junk land is tailor made for survivalists ( I understand the asparagus growers simply MUST have a mortgage on twenty acres of pasture, ten acres of gardens, forty acres of forest and a year round river running through it. Good luck keeping them as the economy keeps tanking and you lose your job ).

*

Junk land is a smidge of a gamble. All real estate is of course. You can always be taken by the seller. Personally, after six lots purchased ( three were mere hundreds of dollars each and I wasn’t sure where I was going to be living at the time ) I’ve had zero issues. But, you have two concerns. One, the owner sells on a payment plan and before you take over the deed he goes bankrupt and they take the land and you’ve wasted your money. Or, the land was illegally subdivided and you have a court situation on your hands getting your money back since you can’t have the land. I buy on E-Bay, although nowadays there are other Internet venues. My only criteria besides price was the availability of a road to the property ( erases the easement issue ) and in the West, is there a source of natural water nearby so I don’t need a well. And, obviously, is it close to where I am or I want to be. You can find your lot of land out there. It might not be exactly where you desire. None of us can buy Hawaiian land on a budget. But it will be YOURS in a short time and you will never have a worry as far as being homeless ( and germane to our discussion here, a place to bug out to ).

*

One of the great things about buying land on payments ( it is really difficult to find one under a grand anymore, so cash on the barrelhead is a thing of the past for most of us ) is you don’t need credit. The seller finances you, so your credit score can be 99 for all they care. I loved the fact I declared bankruptcy years ago- the bad credit was an insulating factor against my greed and sloppy finances. Bad credit ratings are your friend! And now you can own your own land regardless of credit. Also, you can usually pre-pay early with no penalties. This is very good, as you want that sucker paid off pronto. Because as President Bush The Younger famously quipped, “this sucker is going down” when referring to the economy.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

12 comments:

  1. I had an accident and been on disability for 2 months. Friday the 24th/jan. I received a notice that the plant is closing. My wife open up the mail and by Thursday the 29th. a man came to the house and deliver the summons for divorce. She is fast !.... Well I didn't go the way you did (travel trailer). My buddy was selling his motorhome for a couple of grand and on an impulse I bought it. Still works !...Is now park on my other friends 2 acre property. It is pack with everything I need that it will keep me going. Haven't even register the coach and I'll will do it after the divorce.
    I should have listen to you about "junk land".. too late now. Even if I get it now I would have to split it with the ogre.

    You are def. right. Do it now, not when tshtf.

    No matter what, have your BOB at the ready.


    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have a place for a legal squat. Second best thing. People, please learn from others. It's why I tell you all my dumbass mistakes and why replies like this are so important. Yes, you can get screwed, no matter now special you are.

      Delete
  2. HI.
    Just here to tell you that you're beerGiners haha. I been in the same spot three times. It's not the end of the world. Firs time you suffer a lot, second time you suffer a little, third time it makes you stronger. I'm now enjoying accommodations (in every respect of the word) from this widow. Rent free and occasional meals. Before you put me down ,I must tell you that I'm acting just like the opposite sex. Meaning "a free ride from the significant other"...My money goes into my savings account. Bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get that money out of a savings acct. The bankers think it is their money, and King Kenya agrees.

      Delete
    2. definitely you are right. if women want equal rights then they got to play the game. they can do whatever they want to men then men can do whatever they want to women. EQUAL RIGHTS BABY.

      Delete
    3. All genders are created equal but the law treats some more equal than others.

      Delete
  3. Junk land? Well OK but I would only buy land that some sort of tree will grow on. Even if it is only the lowly Boxelder tree. Trees will make your junk land not so junky. Growing trees from seed is free and generally easy.

    The best time to plant your trees?? Twenty years ago. The second best time?? Right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other lot has a sage brush bigger than me. All alone. I could put a lawn chair underneth and pretend it is a real tree.

      Delete
  4. James, got the thumb drive today. Looks good. Looks like all my free time is taken for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four business days seems to be about the norm to get the package. Of course, the postage went up ( about $2.12 to $2.32 ) so I'm glad I stuck to my manditory one pay-per book per order. I hope you enjoy. But remember, even if it totally sucks you still get to keep a 4gig thmb drive.

      Delete
  5. I guess a title search/insurance would be too expensive.

    Is there a book review in there somewhere? The title of the post made me think so but I seem to be missing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title search/insurance on my TX lot cost more than the lot, then the pricks ripped me off and never delivered ( American Title ).

      Delete