Thursday, February 27, 2014

more dead than alive- article 1 of 2 today

I wasn't really sure if this article sucked or not.  So I'm also putting a guest article out today.  Just in case.
*
MORE DEAD THAN ALIVE

I’m not a huge fan of old-timey westerns. The newer ones, from “Wyatt” to the Spaghetti Westerns are cool ( with “Duck, You Sucker” aka “A Fistful Of Dynamite” being, in my humble opinion which might be construed as blasphemy, the best one of the lot ) but anything before that is usually lame and Not Of My Generation ( the earlier ones celebrated the Great American Myth. The later “the great American dystopia” ). But occasionally one grabs you as an aberration of the typical John Wayne era folklore. More Dead Than Alive, with Vincent Price as the cheesey gun show hawker being the only face I recognized, a ‘68 film was one I really never had heard of, merely stumbling on it one late Saturday night on a channel for low budget oldies shows. It was a bit dark and made you think on it for a time afterwards, a conditions most movies strive mightily to avoid.

*

This is one that, if remembered at all, might be over-analyzed to death in a stuffy quasi-professional school for cinema, so I’m merely “Lucy’s 5 cent psycho-babbling” it here. This could have been a case being made for corrections reform, in which case it was just more Flower Power bullspit. Or it could be making the case for vigilantism, a powerful box office draw at the time ( and so, merely prostituting itself like Hollywood usually does ). It could have been lamenting the demise of autonomy in a modern fascist state, remembering back to a time you could remake yourself by crossing state lines ( or, conversely, making a statement that the modern state doesn’t forgive or forget ). It could just be a cool flick that makes you ask all these silly questions, for the sake of asking silly questions. I know I certainly have devoted WAY too much time to it, as evidenced by this writing a month later after viewing the movie.

*

What has this to do with my usual Survivalism topics? Not a damn thing. Yet, life is a lot more than prepping for a possible apocalypse ( oh, it WILL happen. I guarantee a massive ugly die-off. The question is merely one of timing, as in Will It Happen To Me? ). Every once in a while, it behooves you to devote some time pondering the inconsequential and irrelevant. You want to be a much more rounded individual than one who studies wild berries, cannibal anthropology and ballistics tables. The farther afield you wander, the easier you can see the big picture, More Input! As a cute little robot was wont to proclaim.

*

Nothing is really a waste, as far as toning up that tiny floppy brain of yours. Even learning reams of baseball statistics, in and of itself useless, at least exercises your grey matter. So I say, anything that gets you wondering is a good thing. Even social statement movies ahead of their time.

END


The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

 

14 comments:

  1. "I’m not a huge fan of old-timey westerns"

    At least with the old Westerns, you're not dealing with ridiculous PC crap, such as feminist gunslingers, multiculturalism, pacifist Indians, etc, and so on. Along with all the other nonsense that leftist producers insert
    into a 19th century period piece, that never actually existed on any real level in the real 19th century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the worst one was the Sharon Stone one where they kept having shootouts in a contest. And she didn't even show ant crotch.

      Delete
    2. Regarding (very loosely) the concepts of PC and the ant(any) crotch:

      So two guys were at a baseball game in the lower bleachers when one turned to the other and said, "Hey! Look at that chick in the skirt sitting in the top row with her legs apart and black panties showing!"

      His buddy turned and looked and replied, "Hell man, that ain't panties that's pubic hair!"

      They argued about which it was for a while when one of them said he would go up and get a closer look to settle it for once and for all.

      He worked his way up the bleachers to a seat in front of the young lady and then casually turned around to see what he could see.

      Then he suddenly let out a shriek, stood quickly up, lost his balance and came tumbling down the bleachers to land moaning next to his friend.

      His friend looked down at him and said, "See, I told you they were panties."

      His moaning, injured pal slowly shook his head.

      "You mean it was hair after all?"

      The poor crumpled dude slowly shook his head once again.

      "Well, then... what the hell was it?"



      His friend looked up and groaned. "Flies."

      Delete
    3. :) I didn't see the end coming. Hilarious

      Delete
  2. Unforgiven. Best damn western since 1990. Followed closely by Lonesome Dove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't argue with that. I was saying out of the Spegetti ( sp ) Westerns which was best. Basphemy because Clint usually gets the cudos.

      Delete
    2. "He should have armed hisself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

      Amen

      Delete
  3. Ant crotches are hot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Escpecially with a magnifying glass

      Delete
    2. Since when do ant crotches have magnifying glasses?

      Delete
  4. I love the intelligent banter on this site. Lord James Rocks. LOL Thanks for the laugh Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The remake of 3:10 to Yuma was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete