Monday, February 3, 2014

insurance plus

INSURANCE PLUS

( I'm on a vacation day.  No comments or e-mail.  Catch you all tomorrow, and thanks )
*
The life insurance analogy is an accepted strategy at winning new converts to our cult of survivalism ( and it is a religion-witness the necessity of unquestioning faith in a pessimistic future and the objects we worship such as AR-15’s [ the Redneck Irregulars are a splinter group disagreeing with this false icon, at least according to the self appointed deacon who will probably be struck from all future texts ] ). It all appears quite rational and hard to argue with. “Well lookie here partner, you gots your house insurance and your fire insurance, why this is just food insurance. And well gollie if your neighbor is hungry you can give them your $6 a day freeze dried baboon testicles like Glen Beck says instead of throwing the schmuck two quarters and telling him to go buy a pound of rice like that disagreeable Bison fellow tries to tell ya!”

*

Basic survival insurance is all very swell and wonderful and it sure would be nice if everyone had it. But 99.99956% of the population uses Uncle Obammy as their survival insurance and the rest support a couple of companies in Utah that sell overpriced processed pseudo-food to the gentiles. Of course, the last laugh will be on them because while it once seemed like a great idea to sell out their principles and change church doctrine for Union statehood, one of the requirements was for open borders and now every swinging dingus imaginable is crammed into a corridor by the Lake and come general unrest will overwhelm all the pampered soft Yuppies who thought they were prepared. Anyway, even if you have it, food insurance is basic and not at all sufficient. Most survivalists have a few firearms, some ammo and enough food for six to twelve months. And that is it. Oh, don’t get me wrong- in and of itself that is wonderful. More folks should do it. But they are really only prepared for a low level disaster/calamity. They aren’t ready for a collapse or a disaster where basic infrastructure disappears. They certainly aren’t ready for a die-off which is inevitable somewhere on the graph where upwards population meets downward resource availability.

*

A years supply of food and some guns is the same as basic financial life insurance. You pay ten bucks a month and your survivors get ten grand. Enough to pay to bury your ass. That is the level of most of our preps. But a funny thing happens when our insurance holder gets terminal cancer. Suddenly, they know they need a lot more insurance. How will the wife live after you are gone? She can’t work due to age, there is a car payment, credit card bills and medical costs. Now ten grand doesn’t seem so hot. You need half a million. So you sacrifice a lot on the budget to buy more coverage. You sell off assets and get rid of a lot of debt. In other words, your mortality actually gets real instead of abstract. I hope most of you get “real” long before the shortages and mass unemployment start. In the words of our last President, Shrub, This Suckers Going Down.

END


The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

10 comments:

  1. Lord Bison of the Great Basin and King of Coiffure;

    Today's post is the best version of Preparation = Life Insurance analogy I've read thus far in my sorry existence. I would be able to use the conjecture, that if there are 300+ million firearms in private hands in the United States, according to conservative estimates meaning that between a third and 3/5th's of American Households possess at least one firearm (and its associated ammunition) in the home. This would be to borrow another analogy the "Bronze Plan" of insurance, with it's unfair premium and its high deductible. Unfair premium being the cost with the firearm (see the Gun Control Act of 1968 for details), the high deductible being that in order to ensure said survival of oneself and their associated dependents, one must be ready to use said firearm to secure the necessary items required for continued survival against other armed individuals/groups, violence being the necessary mechanism for the securing of said supplies. The rub being if one just has the basic insurance plan, if the worst case scenario occurs, then now the basic plan holder, is really behind the proverbial eight ball, since those with the "Sliver", "Gold" & "Platinum" plans, by their very nature are more ready to deal with the basic plan holder than the basic plan holder to deal with them. Either way someone is going to meet their violent end through not being able when times were relatively good and survival supplies relatively inexpensive to secure said supply through the legal channels of organized trade/exchange of goods & services by appropriate compensation. This is the primary reason why the White Trash Irregulars, advocate and urge everyone in the circle of their influence to take on a larger insurance policy to prevent the above mentioned violent end of the unprepared/basic plan holders.
    Keep keeping it real James!

    BTW: If someone wants to worship a AR-15, let em. Personally speaking I'd rather place my faith in my SMLE No.4Mk.1* Longbranch. It's a better instrument of respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, the AR is just my Whipping Boy for the cult of semi-auto and the head up ass ignorance of logistics. All minions who have a SMLE get a super decoder ring not available to other minions. This will be your pass as you travel thru my future realm.

      Delete
  2. Lord Bison - a great article. You lost me a little bit with the "Empire" series of articles, but now I'm back on board.

    As a relatively healthy 40 year old with no wife, kids, or home ownership - I have zero interest in conventional 'life insurance', as purchased through an insurance company. My girlfriend has plenty of savings, and I keep more than enough savings to cover the cheapest body-disposal possible (probably cremation through the county with a cardboard box of cremains being given to my gf and my immediate family).

    I do have health / dental insurance through my job, which costs me about $79 a month. I do carry insurance for the car, which is about $70 a month. Then I have renter's insurance (which I mainly carry because, when bundled with my car insurance, the whole program is cheaper) which is $10 a month. All told - my insurance picture is $1908 a year (for a healthy 40 year single white male that drives a car, rents an apartment, and has no dependents).

    Most of that expense is just to be "compliant" with the law. It does not necessarily help me sleep better (although it probably will if certain types of problems pop up). No, I sleep better because of bullion, guns & ammo, cash, stored food, and water. Oh, and having no debt other than paying off the vehicle helps me sleep too.

    My real 'life insurance' is also a hobby of mine - survivalism. If I had kids and a wife, maybe my outlook would be different though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My take on insurance, now, over the last few years, is that you are throwing money away since the insurance dudes are in with the bank dudes and the money is being sucked intoa black hole. Ten years ago, I'd have said conventional insurance was worthwhile.

      Delete
  3. Great! Now all I can think about is tossing Glen Becks's freeze dried balls at a hobo. Thank Crom Cruach none of my rice is freeze dried. Sigh - it ain't easy being the deranged minion of a Parked Trailer Overlord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. Hell, I work hard at being perfect- it just looks natural.

      Delete
  4. This morning I gleaned from the back stories a couple of gems: US cattle herds are at their lowest levels in 61 years, California is heading into a drought. Uh oh. We gonna hit the early 70's again - then disco will resurrect - got that - zombie disco... mommy!

    But anywho, both of the above, excluding disco, means another jump in food prices. Insurance is making sure you got supplements to offset the hit you're gonna take at the supermarket.

    Here is a concrete example: A while back I stated that you should buy one of those cheap Mora knives before they skyrocketed - oops. Last June I bought a SpyderCo Tenacious for about 35.00 off of Amazon, I liked the knife so much I went back yesterday to buy another for caching - morterforking bumofastitch - that thing is 50.95.
    Today I went to the grocery store an spent 252.xx on store-ables, then I spent 51.xx on Amazon for two #10 cans of Mountain House lasagna and stroganoff (those are better than hamburger helper without the hamburger;)

    Okay, I'm done sounding like one of Creekmore's prepper pack. But my main argument still stands - do it now. If nothing happens, you still can eat your mistakes (food-wise that is).

    Note: As far as I can recall the early 70's sugar, coffee and meat went through the roof. Unless you want to be a half asleep vegetarian - move it or lose it. History is probably gonna go Hollywood and remake itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes up 100%, falls back 20%, and the 80% increase is the new normal all other additions are on. Meanwhile, wages are falling.

      Delete
    2. Which is why your living in a pit (or travel trailer) on paid for land is sheerest genius.
      Me I live where there are no building codes, and have 40 acres 5 miles to town (but no road access), and another 10 miles to town (where I am planing to move to asap.) Both have at least seasonal water on part of the land and rolling hils on the rest - perfect for a south facing dug cave.
      not perfect but pretty good if you can survive the artic cold winters.
      I would love to use the last of our mechanized culture to further sculpt the land, build a house like cave, and install good fencing. But $ limits how much I can get done how fast. Hopefully I keep the job long enough to get those things done the easy way and pay down the creditors (no leins on the land- just student loans and credit cards used for life and death emergencies - litterally)

      Keeping the 2nd peice of land is a debate in my mind- is it worth keeping hard to access bug-out land or sell it for a loss and use those funds to improve the other peice - It would probably only sell for @5k if I were to rush the sale. And getting a road to it to make it worth more would easily cost double that...
      Hmmm...

      -grey

      Delete
    3. Personally, I'd NOT sell the back up. Just go cheap on the first for your improvements ( ie- fencing might be a waste if lawlessness is not too far away ). Of course, I own WAY too much land I never see/use, so I'm kinda retarded that way.

      Delete