Wednesday, February 12, 2014

homestead happenings

HOMESTEAD HAPPENINGS

Not a whole lot happening in the big wide world I’ve heard about at the time, so today we’ll just talk about me. To start on a hilarious note, a happening which is STILL tickling my funny bone, making me pee just a little every time and making me wish this was a tangible item I could actually frame behind glass, the step-daughter is having an issue with crapping in a bucket. She can’t. There is a mental block preventing her and hence she was going on six days of constipation. And it STILL isn’t resolved as she used a flush toilet in town at a store. The thought of using a disgusting public toilet prevents me from NOT using a bucket, but to me crapping in a bucket represents freedom and economic salvation whereas the step-D is a city folk who can’t quite figure out how people lived prior to John Crapper’s invention.

*

More unseasonably adverse weather. The first two weeks of December were typical to our area- overcast, highs in the teens and lows in the singles and below zero’s. But after that we’ve had a VERY mild winter ( suck it the rest of the country- I never hear you crying for me when the roles are reversed ). A week ago it gets above freezing and the ground thaws out and then Saturday it rains for twenty-four hours or so and even though it wasn’t a torrential turd-floater the ground couldn’t soak up anymore. I had built a channel for the water to flow off The Pit roof but that backed up and we had a dirt dam break and the bottom of the stairs filled up with a sea of mud. Still too early to tell if it damaged yet another battery ( my previous improvements helped but did not prevent some damage ). The last time the battery floated about tethered by its wires, whereas this time I just had a bit of mud wash over the top. This falls under the category Crap You Only Learn By Living On The Homestead Prior To Collapse.

*

Two other small items, ones you figure out slowly by experience, are minor but nonetheless important. One was a luxury, toast. Toast is not critical to sustain live, but when you mostly live on bread it is a nice thing to help break up monotony. The camper toaster, the one you use over the campfire or propane stove, blows rabid monkey testicles. Save your five bucks. It doesn’t make toast that tastes “correct”. And the bread cools so rapidly you are lucky to achieve butter melting point. I’ve been just making skillet toast, one side buttered and fried. It is limp from having just one side cooked, and it wastes a bit of butter, but I figure the cast iron skillet likes the oil anyway and it still is a taste improvement ( mmmmm, butter ). The other thing is moist matches. Come a time, ever match is going to count. And when you live underground everything stays humid. Get yourself a glass candy/sugar jar with glass lid. Not plastic which will eventually crack and I image is too porous. Yes, it cost $3, but every match no longer fights you.

*

I just did the tax return a few weeks previous and the writing income was about $1600. Yes, a drop. But who cares!? I spent a $100 a month on books and that makes me pretty happy. I thank each and every one of you, from the penny Amazon commissions to the five buck cash donations to the larger ( but not required ) surprises. Remember, you might think a buck or two isn’t much- but I need very little and appreciate it all. $5 is over a ten days of wheat I can buy ( last purchase the price was down slightly from $15 to $13 and change ).

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

16 comments:

  1. where do you dump your full buckets of poo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. get the "humanure" free online book for composting toilets

      Delete
  2. I been using buckets since I (was a child) remember. Don't get used to all the civilized world , its costly and painful when you lose it.
    Your fifth wheel is about twice the size of my present accomodations (140 sq. ft.). The only benefit is that I can move that thing with a regular size pick up truck.

    Yours truly.

    I. P. Yellow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I don't have to worry about moving again. Better or worse, here to stay ( at least pre-collapse. And afterward, I needn't live in a 5th wheel. )

      Delete
  3. I think that another handy item for the homestead James, would be one of those cast iron popcorn makers, of the variety that are held over an open fire. Popcorn is cheap and filling.

    Though I know that you're dealing with a scarcity of firewood in your parts. I wonder if anyone has tried to make popcorn using a solar cooker?

    I have seen some very nice flushable porta-potties, but look to spending close to $200.00 if store bought. Thetford makes some very nice, full size units.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having grew up in a Georgia swamp I know humidity, and snakes. Here is a trick I use in 1 gallon pickle (glass) jars: get a cheapo coffee filter put in 2 tablespoons plain rice and salt each, and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Bundle it up and secure it - twine, staples or Elmer's glue. Drop it into the jar and it will be good for about a year.
    As for pooping in a bucket - tell her she's lucky she has a bucket; my memories of my grandparent's outhouse back in the sixties is this - just opening the door could rearrange your genetic code. Kack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she thinks the old timers didn't walk through snow to school, uphill both ways, barefoot

      Delete
  5. re: Get yourself a glass candy/sugar jar with glass lid.

    Why spend the $3? Just re-use a pickle jar or something similar.

    You Know Who
    AKA
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pickle jars are plastic, right? I'd stick with a less temporary item ( yes, I know glass can break )

      Delete
    2. Actually Jim, pickle jars still come in glass. Also, I am not trying to be disparaging when I say that I find it sad that a guy living literally in a hole still pays taxes. Yes, I understand the reason(s) you do it but ....

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I meant to say "pickle jar LIDS". I didn't take the other remark as disparaging.

      Delete
    4. Mount Olive pickle jars come in glass with metal(corrosion resistant)lids. Hope you like dills.

      Delete



  6. McDonalds has just introduced the Obama Meal Deal - you order whatever you want and the guy behind you has to pay for it. They call it the AMA the (Affordable Meal Act).

    I.P.Yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that act required extensive oversite, regulation and taxation of McDonalds, then when people were starving they were required to pay for the meal anyway, at double the old price.

      Delete
  7. HEY JIM
    You can buy 100 metric TONS of brass per MONTH here:

    http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Brass-ingots_145093787.html

    HOW MANY TONS DO YOU WANT?????????

    Brass shortage my butt!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Come on out of the cave!

    You Know Who

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be my fault. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Not shortages per se, but the end of abundent and affordable. Just like oil. Seen it much below $100 for the last few years?

      Delete