Friday, January 17, 2014

you can never look back

YOU CAN NEVER LOOK BACK

The other night I was watching Nova on PBS. I don’t tune in a lot but I do enjoy the show when I run across it. For the life of me I couldn’t understand their uncharacteristic vicious snotty attitude, painting the WWI Germans in such a light as to infer they were worse than Stalin, Ida Amin and all Muslims ever combined. I suppose that a Rothschild was financing this years productions. But besides that, the episode on Zeppelin “terror attacks” was really fascinating. The hydrogen gas bags were made from cow intestine ( it took a quarter million Bessies per ship ) which were flattened, and fused together by doing nothing more than wetting them and allowing them to dry. To supply the fleet, for a time sausage making ( the intestines are the casings ) was forbidden. Well, it was bed time and I missed the part on how it took the Brits almost three years to figure out how to shoot the damn things down ( I think someone came up with a tracer bullet ), but the next day I kept thinking about how cool it was that the Krauts, master engineers ( they were the ones who figured out how to capture nitrogen from carbon fuels ) could also come upon the simple solutions needed by mining Mother Nature. World War One was surely advanced warfare, but it was also age old war in a lot of ways, logistically. It still relied in part on solar energy. Cows and grass and cow gut bombers, sun and grass and animal fodder shipped to the front to supply the army of mules needed for supplies from railhead to front lines.

*

WWI and its trench warfare had a lot to do with the imbedded infrastructure of the time, rail. Rail was great for moving the tons of armaments needed, but tons of armaments wouldn’t have been needed if the rails themselves didn’t encourage fixed lines of conflict and hence a war of attrition that became inevitable. The belligerents of the next conflict somewhat alleviated the trench warfare problem by stretching out the front from the rail with petroleum and motor vehicles, but as each solution spawns its own problem, this solution led to the necessity of controlling the globe to control the fuel that allowed freedom of movement.

*

Which brings us to today, the US and its imbedded infrastructure. We are 100% motor vehicle dependent and really have no way of alleviating all the problems this entails. The global control of oil is an old one and obvious to all, even the Frack Fags. Our dependence on a frail economic prop of the Petro-Dollar is old and obvious. The only solution is decentralizing the Empire, and it will happen soon enough. What you should keep in mind is this vulnerability locally when it comes time for the inevitable civil wars as the nation breaks up. You must be independent of the roads and motor vehicles to survive, as this will be the enemies weak point. I know this flies in the face of all those Gay Motor Head Yuppie Scum And Their Wonderful Flying Machines. I’m sure I’ll get pounded by the Semi-Brigand also. Well, let it ferment over an extra long weekend. I’m taking Monday off as a vacation day. I’ll pre-post an article, but I won’t be here for comments or mail.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

20 comments:

  1. Yes Lord Bison, I feel you are spot on as usual. There will be a rapid reduction in motor vehicle transport, stretched out for a time by Government control of the trucks and the elites. As fuel gets stupid expensive, most of us wont be able to buy the precious gas to even run a small motorcycle.

    Interesting history on the zeppelins. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have expanded on tactics in the civil war, but I was really enamered with the airships. Perhaps another article one day.

      Delete
  2. Balloons, and by extension, dirigible and zepplins, are the least infrastructure dependent flying devices. Hang-gliders come close, but are not as stable a platform for observation. I expect that as fuel becomes more scarce they will try to make a come-back, failing of course because people are unwilling to wait or take the low-tech shortcuts that they will need to be profitable. HOWEVER once the collapse is done and feudalism re-occurs (under what ever name), being able to make and maintain non- or minimal- petroleum based airborne reconnaissance of some sort could make you very valuable, so if you have the money to burn there is a hobby to pursue (making hot-air balloons or hang-gliders with primitive materials and tools).
    Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sci-fi series "The Lost Regiment" deals quite a bit with this subject, as well as other Civil War era technologies from scratch.

      Delete
  3. If you have interest in WWI I recommend listening to Dan Carlin's Show 50 - Blueprint for Armageddon I. He's a great story teller and the history is accurate as far as I can tell. I'm waiting for the next installment. It's a long show, you can download it at work to USB and listen to it when you get back home.

    I'm going to watch that Nova show on their website this weekend.

    If you do listen to the show or any of his other ones let me know what you think, some of the podcasts might give you posting ideas. I like the shows about the Mongols and Romans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Podcasts are a time sink I won't get into. Plus, I retain the visual word better than the spoken.

      Delete
  4. One of the most annoying and repeated phrases is "Don't reinvent the wheel", been doing that since the thing was invented. Now comes the reverse - can you make a wooden wheel for your cart? Lack of rubber and pneumatic tubing can be a problem.
    Mmm ... tough titty, baby's gonna have to chew.
    So, there is the rub - how to reinvent. For any old geezers out there - remember, about 90% of the gadgets James West used in the 1960s TV series The Wild, Wild West were actually invented in the 19th century US. Suck on that James Bond!
    But can we reinvent them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't reinvent an economy based on near surface, near pure ore and carbon fuel, once those are gone ( hint, already happened ).

      Delete
    2. Agree on the economy, but I'm talking about junkyard technology. My grandparents told me about HooverMobiles: people would strip their Model T Fords down and hook them up to mules. Same purpose, different engine.

      Delete
    3. It's Greer who is big on the Junk Tech Phase. Me, I don't think there will enough quality stuff left to make it work.

      Delete
    4. One man's trash is another man's treasure. A 55 gallon oil drum is a start on a steam engine.

      Delete
    5. Got to agree somewhat with the finely folicaled one- things age and deteriorate, no problem if you have the energy- you rebuild, or build new or build a better replacement. But even junk yard tech takes energy to repurpose things- welding and cutting take energy and man-hours, you don't have to spare when you are hoeing turnips and hunting pigeons and hoping the local lord doesnt take the whole harvest this time and thinks your 'ugly son' is getting hunched back on the front. When are you going to have time and energy and supplies to do junkyard tech? And do you really think the good usable supplies and tools havent been seized by the local lord? - or not been used up on the descent?

      Counting on or expecting Junk Yard tech to be able to fill a need post collapse is unlikely at best- get your 'junkyard tech' in place now, and expect the future to consist of what you can extract from your land.

      -Grey

      Delete
  5. I used to watch Nova and usually liked what I saw. Anything concerning WW2 Germany/Nazis is sure to draw a large audience and demonize the krauts. Personally I think Hitler did not want war with the U.S. and opening a two front war was disaster. Did you know that the top WW2 Air Aces were almost all German? I guess the military channel may have overlooked that in favor of "Hitler's Bodyguard" which I believe is shown everyday. Nova probably wouldn't have covered that either if they were discussing WW1. The wrong side won WW2. Look what we have reaped, destruction of Western Civ. Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Western civilization was doomed at the death of colonialism. Once our oil colonization is complete, the last leg propping it up falls. Watch out below!

      Delete
  6. The 2nd Reich Germans were bad actors by any stretch of the imagination. But after the Third Reich, it all seems pretty minor. Of course, we ourselves today use behavior pretty much on par with the 2nd Reich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With arbitrary arrests and holding indefinately without charges, as well as "preventive" invasions, I would argue we are Third Reich.

      Delete
  7. Hang-gliders are problematic if you live in Kansas. Ultra lights are a possibility while there is fuel. Worked for the lunatic on Mad Max. Not exactly stealthy though. I think most of us will be limited to terrain to hit higher ground. Roof tops, trees, hills. Depends on how clear a view you have for effectiveness. My two cents

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's this hang up about freaking fuel ? It can be manufactured in many different forms. One just need learn the science.... Nothing manufactured today is beyond the scope of a true survivalist ! Only the ignorant need do without.
    Course if one just started yesterday.... unlike myself , I've been at this game since the early 70's and have been cramming how to's in my bucket of mush since lol
    Prepping is o so much more than mere food, no need to do without...anything !

    ReplyDelete