Wednesday, January 15, 2014

slow collapse same as old collapse


SLOW COLLAPSE SAME AS OLD COLLAPSE

One of my oh so many incalculable immensely numbered nemesis’, the Druid Dude, is rather entrenched in his stand on slow collapse.  His disdain for doom and gloomers is known by all and sundry.  It needs little elaboration here.  So let’s play a game.  Let’s pretend that he is correct, that the end is never nigh, that we will all peacefully slowly contract into eco-villages.  I won’t argue why this is sentimental craptrap here, as we have other fish to fry.  I won’t accuse him of pandering to wish fulfillment here to sell books to the Birkenstock wearing Volvo driving female armpit hair weaving tie tied Hippie pukes.  Let’s just play this game nicely.  Suppose he is correct.  We won’t plunge off the abyss, nor will we experience a huge and relatively quick die-off.  We just keep contracting.  Perhaps along the lines of the last eight years or so.  If our dying Industrial Age ( we never really had an Information Age insofar as the bill of goods we bought into.  Rather, it was merely a Financial Derivatives Age piggybacking on to the Chinese Industrial Age resting precariously on the Saudi backed Petro-Dollar Age ) is going to get steadily worse we can reasonably ( I hear you snickering- “Jim, being reasonable-HA” ) assume several things.  Almost all of us are now in positions of employment that are for most intents and purposes unnecessary and easily disposed of.  Please don’t get me started on your hero worship of First Responders ( I’m not arguing that they do a great job- I’m arguing our ability to support them ).  Fire fighters on high salaries and expensive pensions can be replaced by volunteers and the police can, if you think about it, be replaced by a $300 shotgun and a few boxes of 00 buck.  And most of our military are overseas imperial outpost sentries.  They might be necessary for our empire but not for domestic public safety ( they might be needed for government safety but that is another matter ).  National Guardsmen are merely regular military reserves on the cheap.

*

So, yes Virginia, unemployment is definitely in your future.  Unless you do something to sever your ties with your unfriendly central banker, homelessness is in your future.  Being carless is most likely in your future.  Shopping for more than the bare necessities to keep you alive is dead and buried.  Disposable income?  What disposable income?  What income, period?  In short, although I might belabor the point further if this article needs more padding, you will be nothing more than a worthless oxygen breather who has no prospects and little hope.  At some point very close to now, you won’t be able to do anything to change this bleak future.  You won’t be able to purchase cheap land to alleviate homelessness.  You won’t be able to purchase a bicycle to transport yourself, and at some point shoes for walking will be problematic.  You won’t be able to purchase food reserves for when the daily supply is interrupted.  Or ammunition to protect yourself.  A slow collapse is just like a fast collapse, preparation wise.  If you prepare yesterday, and that is why frugal survivalists will be the only ones prepared because Yuppie Scum Survivalists will still be saving up for their first years’ worth of freeze dried yak testicles while you have five years of wheat stockpiled, you are prepared no matter what kind of collapse we see.  I know I’m right, but isn’t it nice to know even if I’m wrong you are still all set?

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

21 comments:

  1. Jim Dakin wrote, "I wouldn't try to piss off Vlad, he is about my longest suffering minion. Been with me forever. I think I actually knew him before senility and incontinence set in."
    Jim is not yet fifty. That seems young for him to be senile and incontinent. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just call it "skid marks" for awhile, covering up your bodies abandonment. Once I need a diaper I'm not leaving the house.

      Delete
    2. Great comeback Vlad. Simple yet effective. Lord Bison, with all due respect, The master gotcha!

      Delete
    3. Even I acknowledge that the initial zinger was far superior to my comeback.

      Delete
  2. Druid Dude has some great historical analyses, but his disdain for preparedness/survivalism seems to be based mostly on narrow stereotypes of what that life philosophy is about, along with a keen avoidance for anything that does not seem subtle, mellow, and taking-it-all-in-stride (plus maybe some gun phobia... just a speculation). What I don't get is that he has mentioned in one of his historical analyses that the Mayan empire collapse probably involved about an 80-85% die-off in urban-like areas. Okay, maybe it happened over a few decades, but holy crap! I think that is worth some panic as historical events that have happened and could happen again.

    The general shape of the future of our industrial society is interesting to talk about and useful to consider as a context, but does not mean that much for what I need to do individually. Lots of variability around what happens in general. Even if he has a 98% chance of being right, I'm putting some money down on the 2% chance I need emergency long-term housing, food supply, etc. Using the James Dakin approach, it is actually affordable insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I would guess that the drought conditions that ended the Mayan are being repeated now. Hope I'm wrong.

      Delete
  3. Jim:

    You are inching closer to the wisdom my wife has.

    You just know everything.

    But I got your advice beat longer than you been in the net.

    I got most of the stuff you preach including the land, trailer and bikes. spare parts for everything in all the places BOL's (3), my other home away from metro areas (with the other wife), my van, my motorcycle, my junk land in the desert and mountains.

    You are just beginning,

    The problem with you is that you think you are in heaven in that trailer and have no back up plans or other BOL's. and only one wife.

    That the advantage of being a Mormon and multiple wives and homes.

    Everyone of my wives work and have a profession, all of my kids are working in their professions and help out even if we don't need (wich we don't) any help.

    Do you get any help from your children?

    Do you have a way out (BOL) out of that trailer?

    Before you give any advice, take your own.

    Yours.

    Angel Moronee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do I know that moniker? Was that a song?

      Delete
    2. "Where do I know that moniker? Was that a song?"

      The angel Moroni James, from the book of Mormon, who first appeared to Joseph Smith with his revelation about the new testament of Jesus.

      Misspelled here, but I'm going to guess that this is on purpose?

      Delete
    3. I swear there is a rock song, somthing like "blah, blah moroni, all night long".

      Delete
    4. The Who - Bony Maronie

      I've got a girl named Bony Moronie
      She's as pretty as a stick of macaroni

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnIwYZkq9c0

      bigunsfan

      Delete
    5. Really, The Who? Sounds like they were on more dope than usual.

      Delete
  4. Lord Bison of the Great Basin and King of Coiffure;

    This is a gamble, but what a great gamble it is! Of course it is the disfranchised and the malcontent who actually want a collapse to render the monopoly of force of the violence of the state impotent once and for all. Well I reckon that is all of us White Trash Irregulars out there, that have finally figured out the secret to happiness isn't the convenience of Petroleum Lifestyle, but the essential notion of having the power of life and death over one's self and one's immediate environs without the intervention of the state upon one's neck at their mere whim. Of course with seven billion fellow competitors, this is a hard notion to accomplish, except when the convenience of the Petroleum Lifestyle comes of a grinding halt, then the notion becomes possible in a given time frame.

    Keep, keeping it real James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a passive aggressive anarchist at heart

      Delete
  5. Orlov is singing the praises of nomads... right up your alley
    http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2014/01/in-praise-of-nomads.html#more
    TMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there was a reason I liked that communist.

      Delete
  6. I'm gonna stick with the Collapse Theory 101: "Collapses happen slowly, and then suddenly). I think the origin of the quote is about bankruptcy, but it holds.

    Let's look at some spooky stuff: Wal-Mart has posted "disappointing earnings", so has Family Dollar. Traditionally stores like these do bang up business during down times, but they're not. Why? Their core customer base doesn't have enough money to spend on even cheap Chinese crap. Cheap Chinese Crap!

    To play a fortune cookie Confucius let me say: The wise man buys candles and matches before the lights go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand Wal-Mart. They want to be Target and have "targeted" middle class. Which is shrinking. Dumbasses. Family has better prices and better quality than Wally and so gets their customer base of poor. HOWEVER, for now at least, Dollar Tree can compete with most items except clothes ( and that is what thrift stores are for ) and so can steal customers from Family.

      Delete
  7. Makes a lot of sense - the bottom isn't likely to fall out all at once. Ferfal's blog writes about what it was like during the Argentinian economic collapse - its worth reading. He has a book out in Amazon that is definitely worth reading.

    Basically - what you have in your pile around your house is your currency. Barter these items for necessities. Barter your skills (repair, build, whatever) too. Get used to being in the dark after the sun goes down (night skys are going to be much more vivid). Water and fuel are going to be much harder to obtain because of competition with others. In short, its going to be a world of suck for a while.

    Get used to it. The pictures of our ancesters past the 1950s weren't nearly as happy as the 'selfies' we take today. Our pictures are dinners and entertainment, vacation destinations and large groups of family get togethers.

    Their pictures are much different.

    Grim faced, work clothed, taken at home. The women were stoop shouldered from the years of carrying water by bucket from a water source EVERY DAY. They cooked in wood stoves fueled by ax cut, gathered and hauled EVERY DAY to their homes. Meals took hours to prepare EVERY DAY. The menu - what was in the cupboard, barn, pasture or garden ? Or what you traded your neighbor for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My issue with Argentina collapse is, it was surrounded by normalicy. This skews the picture. When the whole globe goes down, there is no otside supplies, or outside currency, etc.

      Delete
  8. Arguably, we have been doing the slow collapse since 1974. This would mean that at least up to this point the Druid has been correct.

    But I am with you on this one. Rome in its entirety may have collapsed over centuries, but locally it came very quick. Roman Britain went into the Arthurian dark ages pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete