Tuesday, January 14, 2014

SBJABOBno11


SBJABOBno11

Another Bug Out Book

Fuel And Distance

 

When you are young and foolish, zipping along at fifteen miles an hour on your pimpin bike ride, weaving in and out of traffic, veering around shuffling geriatrics, the whole world was your oyster.  You had energy and pep and most likely in general were a flaming dumbass.  You could give a crap less that the world was about to end, you were invincible.  Many weary years later after being beat down by ex-wives and children and tax collectors and one too many baying jackass bosses whose idea of a business plan was to defy the laws of physics, you knew better.  You knew you had to be ready for even more abuse and plundering from others.  But by now you are in sorry ass shape from the previous few decades.  You might average about eight or nine miles an hour on your bicycle.  Which is fine.  You don’t bust open a heart valve, and slow and steady wins he race.  Now, having visions of arriving at your retreat one hundred miles away in a mere single day of pedaling, stop dreaming.  At a minimum, triple that estimation.  Remember, you are going to have to creep around corners, depart into the woods for a stretch here or there, avoid road blocks, double back in parts and etcetera.  It isn’t as important how many miles your journey takes as it is how much fuel you are going to burn getting there. 

*

Pedaling a bike consumes fifty calories per mile.  Not bad at all, right?  A can of cola will power you almost four miles ( I ignore for now the differences in calories, how not all are created equal, how a calorie of animal protein is so much more efficient at stroking the furnace than a calorie of sugar is ).  The issue is, at the end of the day all those extra calories add up and you’ve doubled the normal daily intake of food.  In the next section we’ll talk about the foods you want to use but for now you need to focus on having enough fuel.  I imagine quite a few of us won’t actually endanger our body if we went a couple or three days without food and doing hard labor.  We have ample fat to burn as reserves.  But in a bug out situation, you need every advantage you can get and I’d stipulate that having fluctuating blood sugar and sagging levels of energy and a constant mental effort at ignoring hunger pains is NOT a good idea at this time.  Save the fat burning for the coming winter when you can slowly consume it over a season in a much safer environment.  Expect that three to six times journey ( actual mileage at fifty calories per, times six plus your daily two thousand calories ).  So a one hundred mile journey will take six days rather than one, and you will need roughly three thousand calories each day.  And that is a minimum.  Depending on the season you might be burning more to stay warm.  Depending on the level of conflict or avoidance, and if you are injured or not.  It gets a bit complicated when a Habeeb Mart isn’t right down the street, open 24 hours a day and accepting ObammyFood Cards.  But if you think this is bad, just wait for the first winter after the collapse.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

 

26 comments:

  1. I look at the motorcycle riders who ride in 40 degree weather and shake my head (damn, they gotta be freezing their cachungas off . . .) but riding a bicycle AGAINST the wind and adding snow / ice (with maybe some hills to add to the challenge) - hells bells, move down south! Thats just plain crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the South and wished I could have stayed. But I choose the arid depopulated West ( with its own set of problems just as bad ) because the South is crowded with displaced Yankee scum, who have also used race against the Confederates to help subdue them. Come collapse, even more, much more, Damn Yankees will descend on to the South in a second mass invasion to escape their own self constructed hellhole, and the uppity skittle eaters who have been goaded for generations ( I don't speak from a racial inferiority standpoint but a social instability resulting from mixed race or culture. It doesn't matter which race is on which side, they won't get along. Xenophobic societies get along better ) will arise.

      Delete
    2. Just a thought, (And I realise that it will be worthless in the long run, assuming a PODA situation.) but what about a 2 stroke add on bike motor just to get you out of Dodge quickly? There would be times when stealth would be a factor, but on the open roads or woods, assuming no one around to interfere, you could make pretty good time with a little assistance such as this. And after the fact, you still have a perfectly usable bike.

      A Moped might be a consideration as well? But having peddled one before, I noticed that they are very hard to pedal, so I actually think that a bike with an add on motor is better.

      Delete
    3. They are already descending. Though it should be noted - one week without AC or clean water and they will be deceasing. Deceasing so much that I'll have to bug out just to get away from the stench of their decomposing corpses.

      Delete
    4. I love the smell of decomposing Yankees in the morning.

      Delete
    5. Wayne, if the bike assist motors are anything like the Chinese crap generator I had, I wouldn't recommend them.

      Delete
    6. Inna local China-mart day afore yestidday dey had dem 36volt electric bikes that normally sell fer almost 500$ onna sale fer 299$..25 mile range supposedly...Hey you could go to work early and charge onna bosses nickel....

      Delete
    7. I have thought about them- but too cheap ( I mean me being frugal, not the product being inexpensive )

      Delete
  2. Winter after the collaps. Another reason why I think that staying put down in the sunny southwest isn't too bad of an idea. (As long as the local incorporated areas are a good ways off ...which is basically in the swamp lol .)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim:
    Stay down there in Elko.
    We don't want you down here.
    You and I know that you look Mexican but you are not.
    You just don't have it to survive.

    Thank you and good bye.

    Your most loyal troll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, bitches. How many other writers have loyal trolls? None. Just ordinary trolls. I rock.

      Delete
    2. Where's his signature B. I'm suspicious.

      Delete
  4. I am only 81, but take it slow and easy on my PAV3 to the StopNRob for coffee. It is three miles roundtrip. The PAV3 tips easily and is unsafe at speed so I no longer whizzzzzzzz down hills at 26+ mph as I did on the two wheel Schwinn.
    It may take the prudent senior five or six days to do 100 miles on his bicycle or granny bike
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SFJbeJy0qQ
    or Worksman PAV3 3 wheeler rated 500 lb GVW
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwkU6T1MtU
    Eat proteins and fat to adjust low blood sugar.
    3.25 oz Crown Prince Kipper Snacks (smoked
    filet of herring) has 19 grams protein 13 grans fat.
    Stuff 40 kippers in your pack and you have 100 protein grams and fat per day for seven days. You may need to hide out to decline a free trip to FEMA camp. My 10-22 with EABco 1-in-9 twist 20 inch barrel and folding stock shoots Aguila SSS 60 gr 22LR IN 3/8" at 50 yards. It is not much louder than CCI 22 CB Long. Just right for taking meaty little critters for the soup pot. I am told that it is effective against people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't we talking about something like 15 pounds with the can weight? Just for one item. Of course, a bit less weight every day.

      Delete
    2. Careful Jim, don't piss off Vlad as he is my favorite of all your minions.

      Delete
    3. Well, 15 pounds of kippers + 5 pounds of beenie-weenies + 1 pint of whiskey = a resilient, and happy boyo,

      Delete
    4. That would give new meaning to "fart sack"

      Delete
    5. I wouldn't try to piss off Vlad, he is about my longest suffering minion. Been with me forever. I think I actually knew him before senility and incontinence set in.

      Delete
  5. This falls under the heading of - when you bug out, don't go buggy.
    Quote:
    An Iranian man has broken the world record for the number of years spent without bathing. He spent the last 60 years without a bath. The Iranian News Agency (IRNA) recently published pictures of the 80 year old man.

    In its report, the agency noted that the man, Amoo Hadji, lives in the village of Dezhgah in the Dehram district of Fars province in Iran.

    The man eats dead animals, and his most prized possession is his pipe, which is 3 inches in diameter, in which he smokes animal dung. Amoo Hadji lives in a stone shack built for him by his neighbours and he rests in a hole in the ground resembling a grave.

    The news agency also noted that when he feels cold, he wears a helmet and lights up several cigarettes at a time.
    End Quote
    Remember - Cigarettes aren't cheap. But going batshitcrazy is.
    https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/blogs/lifestyle/9136-iranian-man-goes-60-years-without-a-bath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm civilized, taking a bath once a year whether I need it or not ( I can't remember which royal this was attributed to- and the quote might be slightly off )

      Delete
    2. "The man eats dead animals"

      Well hell, they're a lot more cooperative about getting eaten than live ones.

      You don't by any chance eat live animals, do you?

      Delete
    3. I think it was meant more along the lines of carion.

      Delete
    4. Friend of mine once picked up a dead rattlesnake - still don't know which one was more surprised.

      It took me ten minutes to post this comment. I just sat here and watched. According to Firefox's status bar this page was loading more google.this and google.that than I have ever heard of. Good morning NSA. I'm thinking we should use encrypted smoke signals(*grin*)

      Delete
    5. I'm finally being noticed? Hey, Feds, hit my Amazon link to pay me commission every month and I'll lie for you guys. I'd like to "retire" from in town work and can be cheaply bought for a grand a month after taxes.

      Delete
  6. Anon 10:14 here - good point on the potential race conflicts. I've lived in south Texas all my life (when you are born stupid, its for a long time :^) and the gringos and mexis get along pretty well, at least when compared to years past. All about making the money I guess.

    Its the Mexican drug cartel violence spilling over that makes it dangerous. A lot of it is along the border, kidnappings, home invasions, gang violence - most of it due to drug cartels fighting over the smuggling routes. When I travel the rurals, its armed - you can no longer take any chances the illegal alien you see is law abiding citizen, MS-13 gangs keep it real. The Guatamalans and El Salvadorians are particularly vicious.

    Vlad - damn man, you put the rest of us to shame. No rocking chair for you, you have a plan and the means to accomplish it - way to go man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Reconquinista thing is largely overblown, at least past large urban areas, but I would be VERY cautious about Black and White conflict soon.

      Delete