Friday, January 31, 2014

empire part 4

EMPIRE PART 4

All the neat stuff that kings get to do, from building armies to gain and hold land and irrigation systems to grow food from the desert to coining money for foreign trade for items unavailable locally, there is a small cost and a big gain. Over time of course the costs rise and the benefits shrink, but that is just the cost of having an empire. You run out of wood and your armies suffer defeats and you just had a famine. Well, growing pains and no one ever said this stuff was without problems. You need a money system for trade, you need a centralize hydraulic system for a growing population. You need clerks to keep records for taxes and property deeds and you need courts to keep the squabbling to a minimum and police ( or, soldiers diverted from the field to police ) to enforce the courts edicts because while, yes, that is all there to protect the government from its citizens, it also is a net gain to the masses or they never would have gone along with the whole program.

*

But because no empire can expand on a sustainable basis ( anyone that tried would be defeated by a neighbor who mined their principle resources rather than skimmed the interest off, so to speak- there is always the need to draw down the water table, grow more than the soil can take, chop down too many trees and hurry up the mining extraction and fish catch ) eventually you run into problems. You start running out of critical items and you have weather problems and you suffer setbacks. You have no choice but to start cannibalizing the body of your empire, just as a starving body uses up all the fat and then has to move on to muscle. All empires are doomed the day they are born just because they must grow to survive and you can’t grow indefinitely in a steady state system. ALL empires destroy their soil and silt up their harbors and mine all their ores and chop down the trees on the hills. The only difference between now and then is one of scale ( “we”-several nations sharing power- now have a global empire and any spot capable of feeding us or fueling us is to the point they are ripping the carpet off the floor in the once beautiful McMansion ).

*

Any damn fool spewing nuggets of mental drivel on how if we just did this or that or the other we could save ourselves, from voting them out of office or abolishing corporations or staging peaceful rebellions have their collective heads so far up their asses they can’t reach daylight in time to save themselves. First, empires don’t voluntarily abolish themselves. And second and far more importantly, empires MUST continue on their course for the population to survive. In the long run, the population is doomed, just like the empire itself ( they are one and the same ). The very systems dragging down the empire are what is feeding the population at their current levels. Any change in the system will starve far more right away. It is really that simple.

END SERIES

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*

My books available on thumb drive:



Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

17 comments:

  1. thk god this series ended! More mindless drivel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More mindless drivel, okay. But at half the price!

      Delete
  2. Hello Mr. Dakin.
    I like this post, better than yesterday's.
    I recently view a CD from a survivalist trainer , my friend took it secretly to pass it on to others friends, without paying for the session. The funny thing was that one gent. ask about YOU. The trainer did not say anything bad about your blog. But, what he said and challenge to compare or think who (the gent.) will follow in case of any eventuality.
    He put it like this. I'm no armchair commando. I don't give advice to get a 100+ years old weapon which the ammo is hard to find. I'm no cook I'm a cert. gunsmith I have almost three decades of hunting and trapping. I'm a historian of human events specially war and it's tactics. I have lived off grid, done this, done that. I have a small farm, know animal husbandry (whatever that means) I'm self sufficient. I do have utilities but, I can do without and continue. I can fight anyone (being Black belt Karate instructor as well a firearm expert [sniper] and tracker).
    I did what that guru (means YOU) living in tents, trailers, caves, old mines and survived. Can he claim that? No. He just got a trailer and got stuck in there riding a bike to work. he's got an old .303 bolt action a couple of bucket of wheat and that is it. Picking up a rifle, he pointed to the firing range and empty 10 rounds in quick succession and said: can he do this? pick up a .22 rifle and empty 25 rounds pretty damm fast, followed by a shotgun and empty 10 rounds also pretty fast and said "or this"? No!. He said, " He (meaning you) will tell you to buy a single shot in order to save ammo.
    Well, he goes on and on telling not bad things about you, but, comparing the differences between you and him. and saying who will you follow? Him or me..
    According to him you follow the trailer way of living that he suggested, which I think that is the opposite. HE FOLLOW THAT, YOU SUGGESTED IT
    One of the things he said that unlike him. you did not manage to overcome the pitfalls of a little divorce, He went thru that and worse!.
    One thing I see is that you never speak or write with ambiguity and never say bad things about him, on the contrary you always give an olive branch to others.
    I don't know if it is unlawful to copy that thing and send you a copy, but I don't want you to believe me. You should request your minions to send you one of those copies anony's way to verify this tale.
    Mr. Dakin. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

    Great post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is priceless that anyone feels so threatened by my common sense teachings-which was 50% Kurt Saxon and 50% making dumb ass mistakes first myself- that only attract a thousand readers. Thank you for taking the time to detail all that, I'm frankly giddy over it. And thanks for the post thumbs up. I know most didn't care for it- the fewer comments usually means the fewer approvals. But I wanted to get in out there, mostly as a response to yet another wishful thinking piece I read. Plus, it was nice for four days to do away with the need to come up with another subject each time. I won't repeat the experiment too often. Be cool.

      Delete
    2. Are we talking about who I think he is talking about? Someone in Tennessee? Who praises trailer living? Hmmmm Jim said it first. If jim wasn't in the desert he might be growing food, ect.. As he often preaches...the life of the desert rat. If he can get a little water he will survive. If it is the owner of the other blog that cant write his own stuff i am disappointed.

      Delete
    3. I didn't want to jump to any conclusions, especially in light of the war between that certain unstated party and another unstated party in Idaho

      Delete
    4. C'mon Lord Bison,Nightshift. Please tell me you're not falling for that load of crap.

      AnonymousJanuary 31, 2014 at 9:52 AM is a troll.

      stunned minion

      Delete
    5. But both of them will pray for you. And, I resent that crack about armchair commandos - I use a lawn chair myself.
      “If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.”
      - Woody Allen.

      Delete
    6. I normally dislike Woody Allen- but thats a darn good one.

      Delete
    7. 507-really? I mean, sure, it COULD be a troll. But what are the odds? They usually don't put that much effort into comments.

      Delete
  3. did you hear that the US is now the world's largest producer of oil and natural gas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know that is BS? We are SOOOO large of a producer we import from Canada and SA? Come on!

      Delete
    2. didn't say we had become energy independant,we just got more from fracking..still not enough for the US

      Delete
    3. Oops, sorry if I was snarky. I jumped in without being calm. We were 5mbpd oil, now with fracking 6mbpd. I'm pretty sure if my memory is correct Russia does more. If not the above for oil only, surely with NG figures thrown in. I usually only pay attention to one or the other, not both together, so my memory could be off. I seem to remember us as oil producer #3.

      Delete
  4. Lord Bison of the Great Basin and King of Coiffure;

    Methinks you're absolutely correct along with other long-term minions, when the pattern is a few days of History of Mankind (or other subject that most semi-informed minions already know about) and then to the pearls of wisdom that all of us love and absorb like the sponges of the Aegean Sea. By the way I saw some great Boer War photos of No1Mk2 rifles being used by the Boer circa 1901, damn I love that rifle! Thank You for turning me on to it.
    Keep keeping it real James!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought that you might find these authors takes on bicycles, with regards to post apocalyptic fiction interesting James?
    “Where are the Bicycles in Post-Apocalyptic Fiction?”
    "Randall Parker hits on one of the things that always irritates me about post-disaster movies and books:
    I'm reading some after-the-electromagnetic pulse disaster novels where the electric grid has collapsed. Lots of people walking home or fleeing home on foot. In the vast majority of these novels there is no mention of any means of human transportation between a car and walking. So some guy has to walk home hundreds or thousands of miles across a post-apocalyptic landscape to get back to his family. Every person he comes across either is on foot or has some Mad Max truck fuel. What's with that?”

    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/28/where-are-the-bicycles-in-post-apocalyptic-fiction.html

    ReplyDelete