Tuesday, December 10, 2013

the journey


THE JOURNEY

Ah, another morning in paradise.  The regular forty-five minute commute has turned into a seventy-five minute one as I labor to breath in minus ten degree air and my bearing grease is half frozen.  This produces the pleasant effect of over-heating as I pedal hard, except for my hands which remain semi-frozen.  So I’m wanting to puke as bands of pain shut from my hands.  I tried out the new swamp boots this morning and they were a huge improvement over my Sorrel boots ( which only proves the reason they were available for trash picking ).  My feet did not get cold.  But when I tried out the new leather mittens, it was worse than my synthetic fur lined German military surplus mittens.  Tomorrow I’ll try a thicker wool insert, but I have a feeling leather is great for short term working in cold, but not so great as a long time period hand covering.  I’m running out of options for warm gloves.  Anyway, I don’t get to work until late, and after filling water jugs and nuking my bread I had only twenty minutes to go until I started work.  Hence, this late article.  Last winter I woke up thirty minute early to compensate for longer commutes, but I gave that up as the lack of sleep and extreme cold kicked my ass.  I’ll just have to learn to accept less gets done this time of year.

*

The best piece of wisdom I ever read was: life is a journey, not a destination.  In other words, don’t work a job you hate all your life thinking a nicely financed retirement will make up for a life of misery.  Don’t ignore daily pleasures for a future you might never see.  That doesn’t mean lack of planning or sacrifice.  It means you sacrifice for tomorrow, but enjoy that process of doing without. You might not be going on vacation, drinking $4 Starbucks latte’s, driving a nice car or living in a McMansion.  You are investing in other things important to you.  But while you do without, enjoy yourself.  Sit back and relax as your coffee percolator does its slow magic.  Enjoy the view from your cabin porch rather than the inside view of your bankers prison cell.  Almost any day I can still enjoy the peace and quiet of biking to work, enjoying the invigorating brisk morning air ( it stops being that way at about single digits, but luckily that is not often ).  I might not have a fifty inch TV with hundreds of cable/satellite channels, but I spend the same amount most people do on paid television except in books and I enjoy that as entertainment.  Enjoy your life NOW, because tomorrow is never a guarantee.  We could die without warning, be in an asteroid or far more likely a car accident.  All the preps in the world only increase your odds of surviving- they don’t guarantee a damn thing. Be afraid, certainly, but also live your days fully.  Bucket lists are for people who never enjoyed their days.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

6 comments:

  1. You must learn to accept.

    The banksters will never go to jail. Jail is for the people that issue checks with no funds. Banksters who take monies from pension plans will never see a day in jail.

    Face it. You are in the wrong business.

    Join the elite. become a bankster.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But its too late to sign up as a banker. You won't make any scratch before you end up hanging from a pole.

      Delete
  2. Dammit Jim, you're gonna need more socks!. By the way - down here in south Georgia: it was 82 with mild rain. Bastard that I am - I bought groceries in short sleeves and sandals today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet, I was admired by legions of shivering cotton hoody wearers as I strolled by toasty warm in my rabbit fur commie-cap. I am the one eyed king of my valley of the blind!

      Delete
  3. Griping he handle bars with plastc bags over your hands gives another windproth/waterproth layer to your hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I should try that one time to see to what temp I can do that before it is ineffective

      Delete