Friday, December 27, 2013

SBJABOBno?


SBJABOB

Another Bug Out Book

Repairs And Parts

 

Murphy’s Law dictates that no matter what, crap is going to happen, in an unplanned manner and at the most inopportune time.  So let’s just assume ( assuming, rather than making An aSS out of U and ME, is prudent and wise IF it is done in a paranoid manner ) that your bicycle transportation is going to suffer some sort of mechanical breakdown.  Now, this ain’t a car.  You can’t provide for every contingency and stock every tool.  You would think this is common sense, but most folks planning on Bugging Out somehow think they can carry a battalion size quartermasters amount of gear on their backs.  Better to have it if needed, I’d rather carry the extra weight, etc.  As if want and need trump simple laws of physics.  Even highly trained, young, prime specimens see degraded performance by carrying too much gear.  And civilians ain’t usually in shape, young or in their prime.  Yet they want to carry the entire bomb shelter PLUS the kitchen sink.  Idiots.  I can only imagine how much crap they think they can fit on to a bike.

*

Newsflash, Einstein.  You are still the motor.  You have to propel all that crap up hills, while staying fit to pedal many more miles, while on the lookout for enemies and traps.  You want to minimize your equipment, not maximize it.  I would concentrate on two main potential repair points, the chain and the tires.  For tires, if at all possible, I would buy airless tires ( airless tires now dot com ).  Yes, they are fifty bucks and so a set is almost as much as the bike itself.  But if you look at it as a replacement item, they aren’t too bad at all.  A regular tire costs $20, and a thick green goop tube costs about $12, so the costs aren’t too dissimilar. If you have a set, flat tires aren’t an issue.  If you can’t afford the airless, I would have the thick green goo tubes.  They really do work well up until the point you hit a nail.  Another tactic is both the goo tubes AND a can of Fix-A-Flat.  I nursed a huge overloaded travel trailer with a flat across the Nevada deserted desert fifty or so miles with a can and one stop to re-inflate with a hand air pump ( don’t forget one of those miniature air pumps for your bike tires ). 

*

As for the chain, get a quality chain pin tool.  The $5 Wal-Mart crap is pot metal and will work for about three tries before the metal breaks at a weak point.  Spend a little money on the tool from another retailer.  And, when you buy a replacement chain, beware that the chain is for a child’s one speed and they are about four links shy of an adult size chain ( don’t have one unopened one-have two ).  You can have a replacement chain sized and ready to go, using the master link that doesn’t need the tool, or you can carry the tool and several spare links.  I’d weigh both and decide your yourself. 

*

Other things can break, but with the above on a single speed bike, MOST of your bets are covered.

END
The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,
Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

 

 

 

22 comments:

  1. I still say a small motorcycle is better for bug-out purposes. They can get 75+MPG. That is a long ways on a gallon of gas.

    Come the apocalypse I will slow down when passing you though, Lord Bison. So as not to kick up too much dust in your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accidentally ordered a load of stuff from Amazon and forgot to use your links. Felt bad afterwards, Donation sent via paypal.

    Happy holidays Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was sure nice of you. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Dear LB I have a book review request. The book is Behind the Green Mask: UN Agenda 21 by Rosa Koire. If you're interested it would be my pleasure to buy it for you. I don't know how to send the book to you through Amazon so I'll send the money to you via Paypal and you can order it from Amazon. If you're interested let me know.

    Here's her website: http://www.democratsagainstunagenda21.com/index.html

    Watch this on Youtube:

    Behind the Green Mask - Rosa Koire

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDtCb45Lqt0

    bigunsfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you want to spend ten bucks on a k-book? I'll do it if you're sure. Just make a note about the book review in case I forget.

      Delete
    2. Paypal transaction complete on my end. Thank you LB. Have a great weekend.

      bigunsfan

      Delete
    3. Big Guns Fan;

      What do you want to know about the book? I own it and frequently refer to the text, specifically the notes for additional research and talking points, when attempting to convince people that the environmentalist agenda is just as bad as big business when it comes to promoting Agenda XXI to the public and governmental agencies. If you're asking is the book good and factual, I would state that it is, insomuch that the notes are accurate and uncovers a very large and very deep rabbithole that most persons would rather not deal with.

      I have a friend of mine who infrequently does presentations on Agenda XXI for the public, please see the following for more information.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDDWY7veVjc

      To all the minions: Keep keeping it real!

      Delete
    4. BigUns-in light of the above, do you still want me to proceed? I can return the PayPal donation. Don't want anyone wasting money.

      Delete
    5. Please proceed Lord Bison. Thanks again!

      bigunsfan

      Delete
    6. Bought it this morning, will start reading tonight.

      Delete
  4. When I used to do a lot of backpacking, I started with a 40 pound pack. Over the years, that got reduced to 15. That didn't compromise any safety. Much easier on the knees and back.

    Don't forget to have good hiking footwear for when the bike has a breakdown that can't be fixed. Those custom bike shoes ain't gonna cut it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weight kills-even as an extra large size ass.

      Delete
  5. When procuring the bike make certain that the tires are common sizes. I just recently found out that my wheels and tires have to be the odd 26 x 1.5 size. No airless tubes for me and the trying ruined the wheel - sigh- new wheel, new tire new tube and even new gears.
    I really need to figure out how to best convert a multi speed into a single speed. It should be doable based on the basic mechanics of it, and I seem to use only one speed at a time.
    Of course weather/enviromental conditions might preclude a bike bug out- a little snow is doable if it isnt too thick or too icy, as long as the temp is in the positive digits, but if you hit -40 you arent going far by any device that leaves even a little exposure to the elements. Because of this I have decided in my area of operations each resupply point needs to be within a 30 minute walk and contain fire starters and shelter materials sufficent for a 30 minute break before setting off to the next resupply point (30 minuets of exposure can cause frostbite or hypothermia due to any exposed skin in those conditions.

    I also recently heard about the 'kidney wrap' which is just taking a large sash or scarf of wool and wrapping it tightish around your middle - supposedly it you as warm as a light weight jacket, might be worth a try, easy to disguise under a sweater or jacket and a good source of an extra scarf or other utility if it fails to live up to claims. I will test this coming weekend (-5F predicted).

    -Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you just know that the bug out event will occur in the worst weather seen in 300 years.

      Delete
    2. But of course. When else?
      Just having resupply points on 2 or 3 different routes (with postive destinations in mind) will put one in the most likely group of survivors. Also knowing to avoid the 'authorities' and main travel routes. Finally being ready to ruthlessly take down any obstacles that are threatening your travel (such as highwaymen) if they cant be avoided.

      -Grey

      Delete
    3. I'd say you seem to be one of the few who will thrive on bugging out.

      Delete
  6. re airless bike tires
    carefully read this info re sizing, and measure your rims.
    http://www.airlesstiresnow.com/assets/templates/default/catalogpage1.htm

    I weigh 240, probably more than the average rider, and his gear.
    I put 26" airless tires on my Schwinn Impact in 2003. No problems
    yet. Think of the tire as a rubber band that must be stretched to install.
    Liberally apply liquid hand soap to the bead of the tire. Soap
    dries and does no harm. Fit tire to rim. Secure tire to rim with
    a cable tie. With a flat screwdriver lever a small part of tire
    into rim. Advance a few inches. Do it again until the whole
    tire is on the rim. Bounce and turn tire on the floor
    to seat all the tire on the rim.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzcqA1J0npE

    I don't know if ERW is presently available.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9SWIsY8rzQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. If someone owns an automobile, but is looking at a bicycle as a primary part of a fallback strategy, the cost comparison would indicate that buying a second identical bike is not out of the question: along with your very reasonable suggestions of course. Why are so many set on multiple rifles, but not multiple (way less expensive) vehicles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its all about image. Two baskets on a bike and you are Pee-Wee Hermen. Any rifle, and you are Billy Badass.

      Delete
  8. Just finished reading 'Behind the Green Mask" -- scary. I am glad I have no children or grandchildren... Maybe the collapse will be for the best.. lol

    NWsenior

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are probably humped. But then, I'll be accompanying them so it seems fair. I wish I could get them closer to me but they were raised in the South and don't care for dry and cold.

      Delete