Tuesday, December 3, 2013

property values


PROPERTY VALUES

Even as a pimpled ignorant youth with Seventies hair, I knew enough after a few paychecks that money was way too hard to get, and the last thing I wanted to piss it away on was a house ( followed by a new car- used ones at the time were still worth the occasional poorly thought out investment ).  And that was back when I could have afforded one.  I’ve pissed and moaned how everyone was making that mistake for years.  Sure, it’s your money.  All I’m saying is that in the end it would have been better served by investing in booze and loose women ( loose in the right way, of course ).  But even worse than the initial investment ( not to speak of the bankers extortion- and shut up!  The bankers created that money out of thin air ) is the game most of us play with “Property Values”.  Remember the game the idiots all came to believe back a few decades?  If a woman abandoned her children, and most likely her husband, and ran into the arms of altruistic good hearted corporate CEO’s, all their ills would cease, all their hidden desires would become true and giant fountains of glitter would shoot out of unicorn asses.  Remember the game of abandoning your grandchildren to golf in sunny climates, after you paid a nominal 5% retirement fee and those same children kept it up at 15% so you could charge your meds to them also? 

*

The games people play.  You were an idiot to overpay for a house ( or, at least you knew you were stupid but that’s what the wife wanted and all you wanted was the wife happy because twenty years ago she merrily shared with you what you wanted- not so much anymore but here’s hoping ), then you doubled down on your mistake by continuing to pour more money into improving its value you could only ever see if you could find a sucker to buy it from you but unfortunately for you the pool of suckers dried up years and years ago.  Yet, in the meantime, you are certainly paying property taxes which reflect MORE than what you hope the theoretical value might one day be.  And I’m not just talking about extra roof shingles or paint.  I’m not talking about keeping your investment alive in a literal sense.  I’m also talking about what you won’t do.  Like tearing up the lawn for a garden, putting a greenhouse on the south side ( some locations are so full of asswhores protecting property value that there are regulations against doing these things ) for extra winter heating.  Anything that reduces your energy use and makes you a bit less dependent is either illegal, or channels you into a whopper of an expensive solution ( the ones Mother Earth News is now full of ).  You won’t or can’t adopt inexpensive, home grown, hippy dippy funky near free solutions.  For the sacred god of property values.  You really think that stick built, Styrofoam and stucco box is worth your entire life.

END
The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,
Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

21 comments:

  1. "I knew enough after a few paychecks that money was way too hard to get"

    Spot on James. I remember that shortly after highschool, while at my first job, semi-jokingly saying to my mother, "that working wasn't working out". As I said, I was sort of joking, but I knew deep down then, as I do now, that working for a living sucked, and I needed to start ploting my escape back then! Had I had a mentor such as yourself back then, I'm sure that I would have been retired by no later than age 30? (Never married, no kids, would have been easy).

    When I read the book "How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle" by Charles Long, one tip that stood out from Mr Long was (I'm sort of paraphrasing here) "That to always think in terms of your purchases, in how much time spent at work to provide the money for said purchase". It gives one a better idea of just how valuable their own time is.

    I'm still working on that bit of advice, but if I can ever get it down, I think that it can only improve my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Long. I must have read that book at least a half dozen times.

      Delete
  2. not that it matters but not all house buying situations are the same. I bought mine a little over 2 yrs ago and will have it paid off in about 6 more yrs. I bought it during the decline when it was valued at less than half of what it had been previously with no money down 3 1/2% VA guaranteed loan and as a disabled vet, I don't pay property taxes. If you want to be one of those people who think my disability check is some kind of welfare payment, then my house is a gift from the government. I agree that most people buy more house than they need and finance it till they die but there are alternatives. I have a 15 yr loan and make damn near double payments and have shortened it to 8 yrs as a result.I am already to old and arthritic to live under a bridge and push a shopping cart. Utilize, adapt and overcome! the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I rail against all transfer payments, I'm not Rush bemoaning anyone else having money besides myself, living in a vacuum of RichBastardLand. I also realize almost all of us, rich and poor alike, are on the gov teet indirectly anyway. I try to hate equally.

      Delete
  3. .......box is worth your entire life.

    Amen, Lord Bison

    And don't forget about the other life sucking box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that why they say "it" has teeth? Like a vampire? I always assumed it just meant "it" castrated you.

      Delete
    2. Rat
      You have my respect, sir.
      I was combat rifleman one year in Korea, 250% casualties in my platoon. I retired with 20. Anyone who thinks,my retired pay and yours are welfare can suck my big red white and blue ass.

      Delete
    3. WOW!

      James said something witty!

      Delete
    4. 7:15- bow before me, puny earthling.

      Delete
  4. Don't know what else to do, it's either busy an overpriced ticky tacky box, rent an apartment, or be homeless. Maybe there are some remote areas where you can live in a camper or tipi but the way everything is structured it's very tough to get out of the system in any meaningful way.

    I'm looking to buy a house because I can't stand renting or living with abusive family. Everything is so expensive and crappy, will have to give the bankers 30 years of my life for some warping soggy boards and a tiny patch of dirt.

    Where is the escape hatch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You inspired today's article. If it didn't help, feel free to e-mail me for specific advice

      Delete
    2. 12:06; you might find this link to be useful?

      http://www.cheaprvliving.com/

      If you click on "Blog" there are a good many useful articles. One industrious bloke lived on the sly in the city for a few years in a box van.

      Delete
    3. I'm the same minion who posted about what to do about moving on "PEEno17 & coffee maker" almost bought that old shack but discovered one of the foundation walls bowing in. Maybe no big deal and it wont go any further but could be an expensive problem later. Sure I could dig out the wall, rebuild it, and then fill in with proper gravel but I'd have inspectors crawling up my rear living in yankee land.

      Delete
    4. Damn, you seriously need to post more often.

      Delete
  5. Jim a house is not most peoples Home. I have seen it wrote that less than 2% of homes sold are ever paid off.My home was bought 28 years ago paid off 15 years ago.The county has stopped and tried several times to get me to clean up or move things at the house siting zoneing and property value rules for the county.I have told them i was zoned A1 agri not residential property values incressed my taxes and screw them.I plan on dieing in this home in 30 years.The only people that benifit from increaced values of a house is Banks and local goverment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. here is a good related post you would love. http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-home-in-harmony-with-nature-why-thats.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually when you think about it, stupid (student) loans are about the same as buying a crackerbox and mud house (most of them built in the past 30 years or so).
    In both cases you are selling decades of your income for the ability to sit your @$$ in a box in front of a screen, in some level of comfort and stress.
    To bad I am stuck in both now.
    I listened to the 'advice' (with a bit of flattery "you sure are smart, you can really get ahead with this - degree/house).
    I highly recomend reading the following
    http://dollarvigilante.com/blog/2013/12/3/the-tribal-mentality.html
    It isnt too long and points out why our society is screwed and freedom is in doing as you wish - but only when out of sight of the masses....

    -Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The advice was sound. The problem was, it was assumed by all to last forever.

      Delete
  8. It would be tough to engineer a system better for voluntary enslavement to bankers, run down to the local bank and sign up for your manacles.

    Can't stand it when I see on the news everyone cheering for higher house prices, shouldn't stuff get cheaper over time from mass productions efficiency? They don't cheer when food, clothing, and health care go up in price. It's like a ponzi scheme but it's tough to stay out of because it's all around. New houses are built crappier than old ones were, it's the same as furniture from a big box store; it's all wood chips glued together into bowing dessicated boards waiting to suck up moisture.

    Don't want to sound like some old bitter guy but part of the reason is that most women don't want to live in a tar-paper shack or in a camper. Most guys don't care where or what they live in very much but to get a nice woman you gotta provide something better, better than what her friends have so everyone is out there one-upping each other on the gerbil wheel of trying to impress women. I'd guess 3/4 of economic activity is from placating wives and impressing girl friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being a bitter "getting older" guy.

      Delete