Thursday, November 7, 2013

survivalist or prepper?


SURVIVALIST OR PREPPER?

Yes, we tend to use the terms Prepper and Survivalist interchangeably.  Just like you use gun and rifle, even if it does give boot camp sergeants and reason to harass you unmercifully.  I’m certainly NOT preaching purism here, nor insisting “NO! maggot!  You are not a prepper!  Do you think you need three meals a day?  Do you think you need a hand warmer when it gets cold, a glow stick night light?  Does your mommy dress you in cammo underwear?  You make me sick!  Drop and give me twenty!”.  No, I just thought we’d devote an article to talking about the differences.  You can still use the two terms without worrying about the distinction as this is only a mental exercise.  It more explains my teachings than the faults of all others.

*

Preppers are, obviously, preparing.  Survivalists do the same.  The main difference is that Preppers are preparing for the end of the Oil Age whereas Survivalists are preparing for the end of western civilization.  Preppers are preparing for their luxuries to be disrupted and stockpile to make that happen as late as possible.  Survivalists don’t care overly much about toasting Pop Tarts after the collapse.  They are just glad to have a can of cold beans while savage bands of lice ridden rat fur wearing chunk of concrete rebar armed fools fight over the last haunch of Wall Street lawyer.  Survivalists are Mad Max.  Preppers are middle class concrete fallout shelter dwellers.  Survivalists are Rednecks whereas Preppers are Yuppies.  It isn’t so much money as attitude.  Preppers want to Thrive.  Survivalists want to Survive. 

*

Preppers surround themselves with The Nice Things In This Life and furiously stockpile oodles and gobs of Nice Things For After The Collapse.  Survivalists just send the Old Lady to the hairdresser on a quarterly basis and buy her a thrift store dress for her birthday ( after consulting daughter What The Hell Size Is She? ), using the old rusted pickup to do so.  Their preps are buying more boxes of ammo for the hunting rifle and always buying more beans and rice ( and snares for possum to spice those up ).  They don’t want Nice Things Now, they would not fit in with the mobile home decor.  And why buy a silly plastic poodle shooter if they can’t hunt with it?  They might spoil themselves with Sat TV to get all the football games, but they see no need for a thermal imagery scope unless Daryl the Dope Dealer buys one for him and puts him on the payroll part time as security.  Meanwhile, Pete Prepper is tearing out the last three hairs he has trying to juggle a mortgage and a retreat land payment while still paying the minimum on the trophy wives credit card bills and liposuction surgeries.  A survivalists knows he has a world of screw you due him any day and girds his loins accordingly.  A Prepper thinks he will die surrounded by all his toys and wants more.  He might be a bit shocked when reality intrudes.  In short, making due without luxuries, or not.

END
The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,
Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

26 comments:

  1. So true.

    I don't no how many times I heard; "I don't want to just survive, I want to thrive!" Like it's some kind of self-help mantra they learned on some late night infomercial.

    MICoyote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same place they learned, "there is no 'I' in team"

      Delete
  2. I guess child support from hell keeps me closer to survivalist than prepper but by your definition I guess I am a cross-breed. I do live in a single-wide and don't know if I will be able to build my "cabin" with the future looking as it is. The plans changed with the divorce. I have acreage but got it cheap. Im selling part of it to a like minded buddy and its a win for everyone. I do drive a new truck but it is a 4 banger Tacoma that should last a long time. The old beast that I was still making payments on was killing me on fuel and maintenance.

    I sold my last poodle shooter for twice what I paid for it. I have hunting guns that were handed down but have 8 commie long guns including AKs, SKS, M-44s. I think of the as first, second, and third string weapons.I have hand guns covered and pleny of ammo for all my major calibers. Yes I am gun heavy but I expect several folks to bug out to here.

    I dont have cable. Just internet. I have a mix of buckets of bulk grains, rice, beans, and some freeze dried to break up the monotony. I keep some chickens and a couple of poor producing fruit trees. LOL

    I do plan on a bit of solar in the near future but am kind of in a holding pattern on spending over concerns about the health care reform screwing that is coming.

    Living in the deep south I can speak Redneck with the best of them but my dog is too stupid to ride in the back of the truck.

    Great post Jimbo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only good thing about child support was the Return To Basics frugal living wise, plus improvements on it.

      Delete
    2. You plan to build a cabin.
      An earthship with bulletproof walls of tires packed with dirt is cheaper,and has many advantages.
      IIRC Dennis Weaver's earthship in Colorado has unassisted
      inside temp 50F to 75F...outside temp -30F to 100F
      http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2009/10/22/earthship-dennis-weavers-proof-you-can-build-greener/#.UnzbnKvTn- 8
      http://earthship.com/
      http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/earthship.htm
      http://www.earthships.com/

      Delete
    3. Of course, with an earthship, you are pounding the crap out of dirt in tires forever. A young mans game

      Delete
    4. Yes that is an idea Vlad, but I have some real code enforcement Nazis. Right after Katrina there was so much construction that they hired a bunch of inspectors, now that the building is sluggish they drive around all day looking for violations so the can write citation to pay their salaries. I've had them slow rolling my place after I built a 4x8 chicken coop.

      Insurance down here requires a slab. So I'm planning a good solid brick house and a metal roof. Will blend in but be be built better than code.

      I agree Jim, I don't want to do that much work if I can avoid it.

      Delete
    5. Earthbags are better for labor, still labor intensive but $ cheap too.
      Poly-Post-Shoring-Frame (like the the BPOD) is less labor but has the fact that the wood WILL eventually rot and has no intrinsic thermal mass or balistic protection.
      Combine any of the above with thin ferro-cement (chicken wire or other mesh + thin layer of fiber reinfoced concrete) for a smooth surface finish and perserving the structure below it.
      sculpt the landscape so that water is all directed away from the structure and entrances -BPOD had that issue and Jim has had to take extra measures to deal with it - (how is that going by the way Lord of Finest Hair in the Desert?)
      Structure can be the cheapest part of a home, if you use any of the above methods.
      Excavation is the most important,
      Systems (heat/cooling, power, water, sewer, cooking, ventalation etc) is the most expensive if you try to replicate our current modern systems, if you instead just find the cheapest alternatives the costs can be much less.

      -Grey

      Delete
    6. I won't know until another flash flood :)

      Delete
    7. "So I'm planning a good solid brick house and a metal roof. "

      Sounds like a great idea. A little extra work up front, but in the long run, the last dwelling that you or your decendants will ever need to build.

      I live in CA's Gold Country, and there are old Victorians all over the place. Many of them are well over a 100 years old, and still in decent shape. But there is one in particular in the town of San Andreas that really stands out, as it was made from brick. And I'm sure that a few hundred years from now when the others are no longer inhabitable, it will be.

      Delete
  3. Lord Bison of the Great Basin and King of Coiffure;

    Don't Know why North Americans are having a semantic struggle with the terms, however the majority of the population, think of them as kooks (or worse) in good times and as hard shells (with a gooey center) to take in bad times. Who really flipping cares what anyone would think about a lifestyle choice, provided it isn't outright immoral (i.e. pedophilia, snuff films & PHT outside of Nevada's 11 pro-prostitution counties), never mind legal.

    I enjoy your tirade on Preppers being the idiots who are attempting to live on Wise Company Foods into year eight of the Apocalypse, while the Survivalists are stocking ammo, knowing it will never be available again with copper jacketing. Priorities are just that a difference of opinion and we all got several. Lord Bison, please focus on how a poor sod like myself can defeat heavy armored vehicles set up at the Snap-TCP's coming to a theater or drive-in near all of us in the near future, with nothing more than gasoline, Tide Laundry detergent, 55 gallon steel barrels and detonators made from recycled mercury thermometers. You Know all about that stuff from the Great One, Kurt and his utter reliance upon Technical Manual 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook. Some of us understand the how, and most of us understand the why, please meld the anti-armor concept and get all of us dumb minions on the same page.

    Keep keeping it real James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thermometers aren't made with mercury anymore. I know the Finns upgraded from a flaming rag to an improvised detonator, but have little details. Also, 10% ethanol Molotovs aren't as deadly :) It does bear looking into, I grant you.

      Delete
    2. For those of you who are 100% recycled Kurt Saxon - those hand warmers are one step away from thermite grenades. Not recommending the use of such. Ahem!
      HELLO NSA.

      Delete
    3. If your glass bottles are still full of the original store bought food items, are they still "bomb making ingrediants"? How many rimfires are an arsenal?

      Delete
  4. All in the connotations really. Kind of like stockpiling. You see, I 'make prudent preparations', YOU stockpile...THEY hoard. Exact same behavior, just different emotional loading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, doing the same myself whenever I think of it.

      Delete
  5. Lord Bison,

    Excellent article, worthy of the tomes of Bisonia.

    Loyal Minion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous at 9:47 am ragnar benson (think thats right ps its a pen name) writes a couple of really good books that I believe might help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just beware his "filler/pap" books. Hell, beware almost any Paladin books.

      Delete
  7. The term "prepper" I have always taken as being synonymous with survivalist. Just as the term "retreater" used to be in vogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More of an excuse to hate on Yuppie Scum Survivalists than any attempt at nitpicking definitions.

      Delete
  8. It is about time that somebody stood up and told the truth about the difference between the two.

    Thank you, Lord Bison.

    Now if we can get all others to see the light and way of the one true path of frugal survivalism, that would be something! All these tommy-tacticals hanging out on message boards, professing to know the difference between a freeze-dried-pea and .38 bullet oughta be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just another set of labels for Redneck or Yuppie survivalists. Don't get too hung up on the differances you can't use them interchangeably.

      Delete
  9. My first wife told me that prepper sounds a lot like pepper, and that both are empty inside when you open them up.

    Smart woman, that first wife, and probably one of the reasons why we're still married.

    Preppers are politically correct "lite" versions of survivalists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, Prepper and Preppie are almost the same

      Delete