Wednesday, November 27, 2013

pass the gravy


PASS THE GRAVY

Tomorrow on Thanksgiving I’ll still post an article.  Well, pre-posting it today for tomorrow.  Today is Laundry Bitch Day and I’m out at noon and won’t return for work til Friday when I’m only working a half day ( if most of our donors had their wishes granted upon a falling star, I’d pick up seven days a week, 365 days a year, and be on call around the clock.  I’m not ungrateful, just weary of Job Security ).  I have no wish to be gone on a four day weekend, fighting asswhore weather and douchebag travelers, so just the one extra day off works for me for relaxation and recreation.  Now, the thing is that the article tomorrow is a Thanks Getting Day article.  In other words, be thankful you are getting anything at all.  It is long winded, and even I get a bit stir crazy by the end of it.  It was a piece I wrote several years ago, I don’t know exactly why unless it was another stirring to attempt fiction, and it has been lounging about on the home computer ever since.  I slapped a Forrest Gump ending on it and called it a short story.  No promises of quality are made.

*

You gotta love those fools who say something to the order of “those foreigners don’t observe OUR Thanksgiving holiday”.  Usually this refers to a Habeeb working at a quickie mart on that day, putting in normal hours to feed his family.  Like no other culture ever had a day bloating up for the coming winter/hungry times prior to harvest.  Thanksgiving was not our invention, just our interpretation.  The difference is that while more mature cultures feast in anticipation, or still acknowledge the very real importance of food supply as THE basic fact of life, Americans are busy worshipping their owners on that day.  We can easily eat five thousand calories on any other day, and despite food prices doubling you can still do so almost at whim with little financial pain.  And you can eat turkey bi-products any day of the year, also.  That one company really pushes all their bird meat ( turkey burger, turkey sausage, etc. ) as a one stop solution to getting some of that nasty fat off your carcass.  No, it seems that rather than giving thanks for being well fed, or even just for a special piece of meat in celebration, what most Americans are doing is engaging in one last orgy of debt slavery before that opportunity is over and gone.   Let’s travel long distances, on the credit card naturally, to visit family we hate.  Not for their benefit, but for ours as a vacation we deserve from working to pay that thirty year mortgage.  Then, after getting that daunting task over with, let’s get in line at midnight to claw our way over to an over-priced doo-dad that has been drastically marked down to its naturally reasonable price ( naturally, putting it on a credit card ). 

*

Me?  I’m eating my simple dinner at home, hoping this isn’t the last one that isn’t all wheat from my stores, and giving thanks for it.  Always pass the gravy as if this is the last time and be grateful for it.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

5 comments:

  1. Mr. Dakin:
    I just don't know how you can tolerate eating that much wheat. I tried to use wheat bread for some time now and I finally concluded that I don't want to see another loaf of wheat bread in the next ten thousand years.
    Another subject: I was raised living in a trailer. Not the big ones. You and I know there are secrets of trailer living. Would you pass on some of your secrets?
    Due to a divorce I end up in that old travel trailer from the 1950's. It only took me one hour to fully clean up. Now I'm about to restore that old dingy. I can perfectly live in it because I'm use to it. Some people get clausthrofobia and some other get respiratory sickness. They just don't know how to get use to trailer living.
    How did you get used to living in a confined space?

    Always your minion.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone has their one food they don't get sick of. I can go years without touching rice, but crave bread even now. I'll ponder on the trailer living as an article idea-thanks.

      Delete
  2. Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow ye shall eat rancid ramen and squirrel tails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the ramen will be a hard fought prize. I like your turn of phraise, sir-keep it up.

      Delete