Monday, November 4, 2013

it takes a thief


IT TAKES A THIEF

Planning for extra contingencies might strike some ( you know, the folks without a life who give up TV to practice kung fu and primitive archery ) as a roaring good time but to me it is just a pain in the ass.  I didn’t have a real long weekend- it was taking the wife into town time which chews up about 60% of it ( although I did score 30 pairs of high content wool socks for a buck a pair so it was almost worth it ).  After shopping I had about half a day to sit around and reread “No Blade Of Grass” ( I had ordered the DVD movie version which I’ll watch real soon and I wanted to compare the two ).  The only ‘sit and contemplate my naval” time was Sunday morning sucking on perk coffee and waiting for the temperature to get up past freezing before I went upstairs to the trailer.  And I got to thinking.  I don’t think we’ve ever talked about having to steal PRIOR to the collapse.  Well, I did write an article on the ways and means of work theft to finance preps decades ago, but what I’m talking about now is the intermission between the welfare state and the actual collapse.  If the power structure is still in place to selectively enforce their laws ( leaning heavily towards revenue enhancement ) but there are food shortages due to their policies, AND all benefits are canceled due to budgetary constraints, what can you do but become a thief?

*

It is a time when it is too early to kill competing ranchers for the water supply, or pull a Zimbabwe and take over minorities farms.  That stuff is easy if your tactical abilities are adequate.  But impossible if the police and military are still poking their noses about.  I’m not talking about the cops or soldiers being a competitive gang post-collapse.  They won’t be any worse than the Crips, Bloods or Hell’s Angels.  The military will fight, if at all depending on if the unit is combat or REMF, as if supplies are coming in immediately and the cops will fight as if they can’t leave their cruisers or the donut shop.  Both groups won’t be effective past the first engagement or two.  No, I’m talking about a time when they get funding and resupplies from outside, when there is still transportation.  You certainly don’t want to be in jail or in Gitmo if worse is to come and you’ve yet to see the actual Apocalypse ( being at the moment in a decline ).  Turning to theft while the entire structure of society is against you is suicidal.  The whole point of fighting after the collapse is to BE the new power structure ( mainly so you can eat as others starve ).  So, rather than risk jail, you might want to think about revolution rather than thievery.  Remember, this is at a point where the food supply is either non-existent or spotty.  If you steal, you starve in jail.  If you do nothing, you get malnourished and die of disease.  If you revolt, you might end up winning all the marbles.  Sure, you could die.  With a rifle in your hand.  The other choice is dragging your emancipated skeleton along the floor coughing up your lungs ( yes, your storage food is there.  We can talk about that tomorrow ).

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

10 comments:

  1. Not exactly on subject (any subject) but I saw this on a comment somewhere and thought you might like it.


    Optimist: My glass is half full.

    Pessimist: My glass is half empty.

    Realist: Who pissed in my glass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny as hell! Busted a gut. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. So, you've moved into the Pit of Doom for the winter? Do you cook down there or in the TT ?

    Stealing is kinda like last minute shopping during shtf.

    bigunsfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BPOD is the bedroom/kitchen year round. Trailer is living room weather permiting.

      Delete
  3. No Blade of Grass is a great book.
    Contemplate and dazzle us with your wisdom. Give us a useable observation from the book.

    You Know Who

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought something would come to me. Perhaps after I watch the movie and compare.

      Delete
  4. In "A Farewell to Alms" (historical non-fiction) the author notes that the upper class in medieval/renaissance England had a poorer survival rate than well off farmers. Too many deaths in warfare and intrigue I gather.

    So being the mighty lord battling for the very best may be fun for some, but it is not the best survival strategy. Granted its better than being in the impoverished group of your time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just sucks less. What we have to hopefully look forward to. I'll check out that book, thanks.

      Delete
  5. I envy your sock buying expertise. My local $ Store had only three pair in my size, I hate being part Sasquatch. As for stealing pre-SHTF - don't. A wise man once stated:
    "Don't steal, the government hates competition."
    As long as there is a power structure up and running around enhancing their revenue you don't want your revenue enhancement schemes to be in direct competition, laws are for their protection - as are the law enforcers. Post-SHTF: Opportunism Rules, got a shot at it, take it(as long as its not shooting back).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, you might need to force the issue if waiting makes you weaker and them stronger.

      Delete