Friday, October 25, 2013

sbjabobno3


SBJABOBno3
ANOTHER BUG OUT BOOK

Going Somewhere

Yuppie Survivalists huddle around their computers in their doctor’s offices or law firms and debate the merits of where in the country they want their one hundred acres with forests and fields and fodder and babbling brooks and underground concrete fortresses stocked with thirty grand in freeze dried MRE’s and twenty-three semi-automatic weapons per family member.  They also debate the bug-out plane, train or automobile, but we’ll get to that in other sections.   Now, this discussion has its uses, and you can certainly focus on where you want to go if you are planning on making a move.  Myself, I’ve always advocated working minimum wage jobs.  You have pretty good job security as long as you work a bit harder than everyone else ( not hard to do, as the idiots have no idea how bad the economy is and so aren’t worried about trying ) and don’t smoke crack on your break ( and it probably wouldn’t hurt to make goo-goo eyes at the old fat cow of a boss-they are all pretty much old/fat females as bosses anymore in retail ).  You can uproot at any time, go anywhere, and make the same money.  You don’t have to worry about pay cuts.  It’s easy- I support a wife on it, and I used to support the current and former wife both on minimum wage.  Anyway ( another topic for another day ), I know most of you won’t go for that, so we’ll shelve the “best place to go” and focus on getting gone near where you are now.

*

You have three choices of a bug-out location.  If you are really lucky, you find a piece of junk land ( go to E-Bay and find real-estate, enter Buy Now, put in $2,000 limit or whatever, see if anything is available.  Or search by state.  Or, county tax auctions, usually also junk land ).  Even luckier, you have family or friends with out of the way property ( you mainly want to get away from the mega-city.  You might need to compromise on a small town rather than a lonely rural property ).  Lastly, you can always use a National Park as a cache area.  Each has advantages and disadvantages.  Junk land, you own your own property outright which is helpful when the economy really tanks and you can’t afford rent.  Of course, good luck getting the wife to okay that one ( sell it as a vacation spot and an insurance policy.  Don’t sell it as her next hovel you’ll use to save money off rent ).  Tax auction sales have the remote possibility of having the original owner show up within nine years and trying to reclaim it under The Soldiers And Sailors Act.  With friends and family, you’ll have the price of admission buying their supplies for them.  And they could steal it all and not let you in come collapse.  National Parks are free, and readily available.  You do take the risk of having the caches discovered.  But, point being, you now have options.  It doesn’t take a hundred grand to move to the country to survive.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon ad graphics at the top of the page. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  For those that can’t get the ads because they are blocked by your software, just PayPal me occasionally or buy me something from my Amazon Wish List once a year.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

23 comments:

  1. I nearly purchase a one acre plot with no water ( $ 1,000.00 ), but I was out bid, I went to visit the area and I found in a better section with water, for $ 300.00 an acre, I purchase 10 acres.
    If you don't know the area, you must careful, some areas are being roamed by bikers destroying anything that is standing.

    About your Volcano Series, there is a blog that show eruptions, I mean BIG ERUPTIONS.

    www.bigandlong.tumblr.com

    Check it out.

    Brandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mind telling me where that was? You can always e-mail if you don't want the world to know. If not, no sweat. I'll check out the site, thanks.

      Delete
    2. OH CRAP! I fell for it. Don't look up that link. Dammit! And I thought I'd had enough coffee.

      Delete
    3. You claim to have other delights of profound wisdom???

      that is funny. Believe me . Those pranks are making you popular. here @ wk. more guys are coming to read your site daily.


      International association of bored workers.

      Delete
  2. Jim.
    Here in California there is a 2 bedroom cabin, stove, fridge brand new carpeting, beautiful view, and has been in the market for aprox. 5 years, they have lower the price to 15,000.00 That's 15k and still no body is taking it.

    Do you know what that means.....It means there is no MONEY......not even survivalists are willing to pay for a property in they have to pay taxes....I'm buying in case of TSHTF. I have the whole forest to camp and ride the storm. If they catch me I will just move to another area or another National Forest. After all I'm the owner, we all are the owners.

    A gov. for the people by the people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of taxes are they charging, if a property like that won't sell? Do you know the %?

      Delete
    2. Taxes are about, 1 or 1 1/2 % ..The problem is : insurance companies wont sell you a policy because is a HUD home, in other words uninsurable... @nd. item the kalifornia forest service charge you $150.00 a year for brush removal, You get some kind of discount and the minimum payment is $ 115.00- yrly. ..The Sanitation Dept. charge you around $35.00 monthly for the sewer if you use it or not also the trash co. charge you and this companies if you don't pay they will submit your debt to the county and the county will add that debt with interest to your debt plus give a fine for not paying. all of that in your property taxes.
      Your tax bill besides the general levy, got 8lea enforcement * deser mountain vector control, * co land use, * community college bond, * local unif. bond, *school state repayment, *paramedic service zn. , * local park asm., dwr contract-swp., regional wtr-stby.....
      I'm in social security, (that's something you hate), barely make ends meet and can not be late in payments because my payment will be more than 25% more , the first late payment, the second deadline will be much higher.
      Animal control came to my property to check on my unlicensed puppy, they left citation for 300.00 on wich I could not pay it., I was force to give him up and pay a smaller fine ($100.00). I hope he gets adopted. Dog license is high, and in order to obtain it the dog must be spay chipped and vaccinated. That does not include distemper shots. If you still interested in paying all that money, let me know.
      I know you are a smart man and you will not touch that property with a ten foot pole. Oh, sorry I almost forgot. In order to get water, you got to pay $ 50.00 for opening service and $24.95 a month for (I don't know how many units [volume] of water). The account will be in the name of the owner of the property and you got to take the title to them to make copy. ( nice people).

      Delete
    3. Good humping gravy! I'm soooo glad I left PRK twenty years ago.

      Delete
    4. Sounds a lot like my property in the PRK? It's in West Point CA, which coincidentally, was the home for a while of back to the land author, and godfather of the moon landing hoax, William "Bill" Kaysing.

      $7.5K to hook up water, and that's with the water already being at the edge of the property? A septic, assuming that it will not need to be engineered, as is often the case in the PRK, will run around $8K if I'm lucky? The county will not allow water hook up unless I already have the septic in place, and have pulled a building permit, and am in the process of actually building a home. In other words, you really can't even camp there for an extended period of time. Though one bonus is that the Mokelumne river is one mile away, and town is two.

      When I called the building dept, I was astounded at the regulatory hoops that I had to jump through just to build a simple cabin that was to be used only on weekends. In the end, I discovered that there is no such thing in the PRK, and it will end up being a fully permitted home, costing many thousands of dollars when all is said and done. I ended up building a 120 Sq ft cabin, which is the cutoff point before you need a permit, but it's really only big enough to sleep in, and store a few items.

      Best to get out of CA if at all possible, but a good compromise is to go so far out in the middle of no where, that Beaurocratic interference is all together avoided. Once you pull permits and "improve" your property, the taxes alone will kill you.

      Delete
    5. What they are telling you, channeling Murphy, is to "GET OUUUUUUT!!!!"

      Delete
  3. Bad news on the Amazon wish list front According to Amazon the k-book went to you, and the knife sharpener came to me. You need to check your wish list and see if the physical books and items are linked to your account. I could have caught this earlier if my ISP hadn't went into a two day coma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Got done reading the book last night. Most excellant! The ending was contrived, but the main part simply wonderful. I'm quite happy as it is. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Off topic.

    Here's an interesting article on Milsurp rifles.

    http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/2013/10/milsurp-rifles-what-they-are-and-what.html

    MICoyote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out. Not sure how anyone justifies the cost anymore though.

      Delete
    2. Only the MN is still got a decent price and ammo is still cheaper than 7.62 or 5.56.

      MICoyote

      Delete
    3. Read it, he said the same as I have. Newer is cheaper, as is its ammo. And most importantly, more accurate so you can make them count. A shame, I really like bayonets.

      Delete
    4. I did read it.

      1K of 7.62 is $550, 5.56 is $450, and 54R is $175 for 880.

      I already have a Savage Axis in 5.56, great rifle. Too bad spare mags are $40 a piece, when available.

      I'll be picking up another Savage in 30.06.

      MICoyote

      Delete
  5. You do realize that authors who are familiar with country living often have the country folk fleeing to the towns in a disaster. There are a lot of types of disasters (a lot more common than world ending apocalypses) where you would get more support in the cities.

    I don't think your idea is not with merit but you had better have a lot of food stockpiled, and a backup plan in case your distant woodlot burns up in a forest fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being an underground cache, a fire would only destroy your concealment and fuel supply, not your stored goods.

      Delete
    2. Not always. Our forest fires can burn 30 feet deep if the swampy parts (common in what used to be temperate rain forests) dry out.

      Local conditions vary.

      Do you find your stash location with GPS? Seems like landmarks can be hard to recognize after a big fire.

      Delete
    3. I see your point on landmarks. I didn't consider burning DOWN. My blindness being in a non-tree area.

      Delete
  6. One does not simply bug out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be getting to the part where you arrive at your pre-stocked cache. Don't you remember my earlier article summerizing this book?

      Delete