Friday, October 4, 2013

flashlights suck


FLASHLIGHTS SUCK
Many a time I’ve said to you, buy lots of LED flashlights at the dollar store or anywhere when on sale.  Far better to have thirteen $1 flashlights of crappy Chinese construction, their plastic brittle or their metal prone to rust, than two quality Imperial made one for $13 each.  Hell, do we even make LED’s?  We might import the parts and assemble them here, paying a temporary seasonal worker $7.25 an hour to put them together, but aren’t they Chinese parts anyway?  You know what?  Screw the 18 year old High School drop-out.  Buy Chinese assembled.  Just in case they take over the joint.  Anyway, you need a lot of LED’s.  Some to wrap in an old holey sock tucked in your cookie tin to protect against a solar flare, others around the house.  Some for future barter ( perfect future business- solar chargers and AA, AAA batteries that you recharge.  Rent the batteries, don’t sell them.  I think a minion came up with that one ).  Buying now since inflation and $300 a barrel oil will soon make them much more expensive.  Can’t have enough of the things one way or another.

*

That said, in one aspect flashlights really suck.  They are really bright, then quickly fade to a pale weak anemic pathetic barely seen glow.  For on/off tasks, they are great.  We have a dollar flashlight down in the pit I use getting up once or twice a night to pee ( I don’t know why I keep taking saw palmetto- ten years popping pills and my bladder just keeps getting old ), plus on weekends to see as I make the coffee.  A set of batteries lasts months.  But it is only on a half minute at a time or thereabouts.  Leave it on continuously and it wouldn’t take an hour to lose intensity.  I had ordered four solar flashlights just recently ( to get free shipping- otherwise that cost was almost equal to the product ).  They were out in the sun all day.  The next morning I went to work with them and it didn’t take twenty minutes before they were worthless.  The solar garden lights would have been better at that point ( I gave up on those.  Until I find one with the on/off switch they are just too dim with the constant clouds we are having the last ten months ).  Intense light, then fading to useless.  Some devices give a steady long lasting light.  Flashlights ain’t one of them. 

*

I still swear by the cheap LED flashlights.  Have dozens of them.  But I also have some specialty LED’s.  For in the pit, as a back-up to the 12v light, I have a AA powered LED lamp.  They cost under $10.  Not the greatest.  But for using it more than a few minutes, and for freeing your hands, or for not waking The Sleeping Giant, it works great.  For reading I have a clip on LED that takes AAA’s.  Also under $10, and also great for weekend mornings when I dare not disturb those who are sleeping their lives away.  Flashlights are far better than candles or no light at all.  But if you want a better light for specialty use, branch out a bit.

END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

10 comments:

  1. Your Lordliness,

    Regarding flashlights - these ain't exactly flashlights, but they are freaking awesome! (I hate the expression "awesome". So damned juvenile)

    Anyway, they're a bit costly (it varies depending on the model), but with a couple of tops and a supply of 9 volt batteries - you're covered for a long, long time.

    Just the thing for the midnight whiz routine.

    Check 'em out. I promise if you try it, you'll like it. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

    http://www.9voltlight.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't crap your favorite turd?

      Delete
    2. Well, as long as you put it that way, I suppose instead of my saying, "I wouldn't steer you wrong" - it might have been more appropriate to say, "I shit you not".

      Har har har!

      Delete
  2. Uvapaqulite products. No batteries to run out or electronics to get fugged up, simple glow in the dark technology. Think of them as a permanent glow stick. They recharge from sun or ANY LIGHT SOURCE - I've charged them up hanging by my incandescent lights and they are still glowing for proximity illumination after 8 hours. That was the UVlite mini - very compact.

    http://www.uvpaqlite.com/

    Inexpensive enough to buy several for kits, I like them more for long term use than a flashlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine didn't illuminate anything past an inch or two right out of the sun.

      Delete
  3. I've been picking up cheap candles at yard sales for pennies.

    We live off grid and sometimes you need a steady, low light so you don't run into the furniture.

    We also have oil lamps, propane lights, led flashlights and the old Coleman white gas lanterns.

    Each has their place.

    Idaho Homesteader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't hurt to have all those alternatives.

      Delete
  4. I strongly recommend you read this article

    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/trade-study-global-systemic-collapse

    Idaho Homesteader

    ReplyDelete
  5. How's the lack of sunshine affecting your solar?

    Gil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the panels/12v are fine. The $1 solar garden types don't do well.

      Delete