Tuesday, October 22, 2013

cohesion 2


COHESION 2

I might have gotten off topic just slightly yesterday.  Sure, the media’s whores are covering up a White House sanctioned race war which might affect you shortly.  And the media being whores is symptomatic of our lack of social cohesion as is other whores treatment of other countries.  My main point I was going to make yesterday and will today is, social cohesion is what helps or hurts in times of troubles.  And we ain’t got diddly to help us.  I’m sure you are all very much aware of this, yet still cling to vestiges of hope somehow.  I’m just trying to help you to realize there is no hope because the very last thing you could wish for to make that eco-village work is sorely lacking in our culture.  It is all very well to believe we will devolve peacefully as does the Druid Dude.  In societies that have social cohesion this might very well happen ( or have had happened in past collapses ).  In America it simply won’t.  We burned all our cultural/social capital bridges a long time ago ( mainly so we could use the flames as light to look for more treasure on the other side ).

*

I don’t know what trait makes us a bunch of greedy mother humpers as Americans.  You’d want to say “embarrassment of riches for so long it seems we are entitled”, but I don’t think that is it.  Our money worshiping was noted at the birth of our nation.  Whatever the reason, we only care about money.  This makes it alright to enslave people, repress conquered territory, place people in bondage for a term ( we hate “snakeheads” for working Chinese illegals for years to pay back the passage, but that is what indentured servants did in the Colonies ).  Okay, bad behavior is universal.  The most pernicious effect is it has made us very short-sighted.  I’m not just talking about ruining a products quality to gain one quarters profits.  I’m talking about ruining our society.  Oceans of physical and electronic ink have been wasted noticing the problem.  Marriages ending for profit, consequences to children be damned.  Old people farmed off to Florida and Arizona ( where poor folk can pay for their retirement since SS taxes stop after the first hundred grand ).  Mexican workers being encouraged to migrate and work to bust up Unions. 

*

The reason we are blind to these actions having costs is that we are so focused on greed of money, we can’t accept the simple notion that social cohesion costs money/capital/effort to achieve.  It doesn’t matter that Union jobs pay too much, IF the workforce is motivated, feels secure, and then agrees to cuts equal to management in times of downturn.  You aren’t wasting wages, you are buying cohesion.  Today, workers don’t care a fig.  They aren’t paid to.  They have zero job security.  Apply this notion across the board.  And then you see how only pockets of minorities who have paid the price ( Amish, other minority religions,  rural Southerners ) retain cohesion.  The rest of us will be trying to kill each other for profit or pleasure, and that is during decline, PRIOR to collapse. 

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

20 comments:

  1. I used to believe Druid Dude was talking about slow, peaceful transition based on gradual resource depletion and adaptation. If you read carefully, he just says what will happen next is similar to other collapses of societies; there isn't much special about this time around except that you and me are part of the process. This historical context includes the Mayan collapse in which it is estimated that only about 15% of the population survived the catabolic collapse of the society. This likely took place over many decades, not in a single, acute event. Druid Dude is just critical of the idea of overnight-apocolyptic-collapse-scenarios in which something special happens to our society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with "same as usual" collapse is that before, the soil gradually depleted with overpopulation ( throw in salinity, weather events ). Today, the soil is already dead. The only thing feeding a growing population is a dwindling oil supply. So I think the timing will be differant. And, as we've discussed, a solar flare or super volcano is highly probable. It might not be "next morning riots in the street" ( or, it may ) but it certainly isn't a long staircase downward. I love the Druid Dude, don't get me wrong. I support him by buying his books, even if I'm not too interested in them ( the economics book- haven't dusted it off since it came ) sometimes. He has been very helpful in my studies. We just disagree on a very fundamental point.

      Delete
  2. What happen?

    No Brenda today?

    Brenda, please come back.

    The most popular minion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have an Amazon wishlist???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, and its public. Not that I have any idea how one accesses it. Full name, perhaps?

      Delete
    2. Go to Amazon. Look up in the top right corner, says wish list. click to access the drop down menu. search for. enter James M Dakin.
      Just bought him a book. Now he knows my name is James M too. Also, just for fun, I bought the CRKT keychain knife sharpener. PS: the book on tomahawk fighting sucks, replace it with something by Kelly McCann or such.

      Delete
    3. Bless you, and may the might of my future kingdom come to your aid one fine day. I'll dump the tomahawk book ( I thought it was too expensive anyway ) and look into McCann. Thanks a million. Hint: all minions that can't get the Amazon ads because their computer sucks, please mimic above action. You can also buy from my Kindle wish list if you can't afford much. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. I think you may be closer to the mark there Elko....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit Jim, I'm a commenter not a blogger.

    Let's look at some of the cohesion of non-honky peeps: Have you ever mistakenly called a Puerto Rican a Mexican? Did you carry your balls home in a baggie? Have you ever called an actual African a Muslim? Same balls, different baggie.

    Now for the Tighty-Whities

    Before the Norman Invasion - the Irish and the Anglo-Saxons got along like the hillbillies they would eventually become. Married each other, killed each other -Hell sometimes simultaneously! Those boys and girls were the Real Deal.

    Now, why were they so close? They were rural, clannish, and intensely loyal to their clan chieftain (native Europeans & Native Americans, pick one). Then came the Vikings ... shit!
    I'll leave it that. I'm becoming boring and obsessive(*grin).

    Ask yourself this - Who do you feel closer to?
    (A) George Clooney
    (B) Audie Murphy
    Why?
    Social Cohesion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, perhaps I should not say "no" social cohesion, just that your tribe is disbursed and unavailable without long distance transport.

      Delete
    2. The US military spends a huge chunk of time and cash on building its Special Operation Forces - unit cohesion. Does it always work? No.
      Who do you feel comfortable with? I'm being intentionally incoherent for a reason - guess why ...

      Delete
    3. Um, guessing, Skittles Eaters? Our unit had its required quota of Blacks and Females. We loved the guy, but he was a complete moron. We didn't move him to the edge because he was Black, but because he was a box of rocks. Even drunk, hard to relate to ( and, no, I'm not saying he was dumb because he was Black. I'm saying he was dropped on his head as a baby ). We loved him because he tried to get along, unlike most who were extremely hostile.

      Delete
  6. Good post once again. Reminds me of a story about a small Jap POW camp were most the American prisoner were in bad shape while a small elite were waxing fat due to black marketeering and standover taptics until a heap of Aussie sailors turned up and beat the crap out of the crooks running the black market and redistributed the wealth resulting in most of the POW's survveing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that what King Rat was based on? ( a darn fine survivalist book, in its way )

      Delete
  7. I believe John Ringo mentions high trust vs. low trust communities in his book "The Last Centurion" (recommended). America used to be relatively high trust. Unfortunately, we've been subjected to liberalism's "take everything not nailed down and redistribute it" and dumping unwanted populations into what used to be safe harbor communities for so long being high trust is just plain wrong these days. This would be us reaping the whirlwind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Centurian. Liked it. Recommended it. Then, I went to read it again. Disliked it- it seemed he was in Rush Limbaugh mode half the time. I don't know if I was having a bad hair day ( right-come on! ) or if I hadn't paid attention the first time. So I'm torn now.

      Delete
    2. I haven't read it again so I can't say. I make notes at the back of the book of the parts that mean something to me and just revisit those. Too many new things to read to justify re-reading much. I don't listen to Rush enough to know quite what you mean. Ringo's main character does spend a good deal of time in his head explaining what he's thinking ... mostly about how screwed up things are. And all would be so much better if we'd only do what he thought. Just like everyone else thinks.

      Delete
    3. The second time around I just started noticing how a lot of his conclusions were based on erronious paradigms. That was the Rush dig.

      Delete
  8. Ah, thank you. Now I'm curious what I'll see if I revisit it again.
    And just what I may have fallen for ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A minor example. He goes on and on about farming and maximum efficiency, totally ignoring giant debt loads as an accumulative problem. All the maximum efficient machines ( milkers, hay rollers ) by themselves are a good investment. Combined, they are a weight on efficiency. I didn't notice any of the fallacies the first time around. Truthfully, I was enjoying a darn good read too much.

      Delete