Tuesday, October 1, 2013

black friday at high noon


BLACK FRIDAY AT HIGH NOON

I’m beginning to enjoy the writing on the novel ( it goes slowly-too slowly for my taste but it will get there so be patient ).  I can free my mind to wander without worrying too much about wrapping things up quickly and making a mind blowing point ( the whole thing will be the point ).  Which leads to today’s article which will slightly anticipate that story- last minute shopping after disaster strikes.  I’ve said it a hundred times and will repeat myself until I die choking on my bile- last minute shopping blows diseased monkey testicles.  Yet, sometimes it is also the least worst option.  Perhaps it is better to endanger yourself going for last minute supplies than it would be to watch your nephews and nieces starve.  They were warned, they weren’t invited.  Yet, it isn’t the kids fault but the parents.  Or, your old worthless parents show up.  They can contribute literally nothing.  But who would turn them away ( assuming they were normal and not hideous drug using physically abusing types )? 

*

 The worse thing about last minute shopping is that you are putting your life at risk, and you are gambling that there is going to be something for sale at all.  With our current system of Just In Time Inventory, no one is prepared for massive panic buying.  They only stock for normal times, with no transportation disruption factored in.  And don’t just blame the stores.  Most states charge taxes on inventory ( Nevada doesn’t.  I’ll bet Idaho does, those high faluten douches.  Their state has a few tress and some water and suddenly they are better than anyone else.  Where’s your jobs except in a few cities, huh?  What about that income tax, bitches? ).  Suddenly, in an emergency, every Tom and Richard and Harry wants canned goods and rice, shotgun shells and camping equipment.  Yet, prior to the emergency, one out of a hundred regularly bought such items ( or, such as with canned goods that everyone buys, instead of wanting a case each they only bought one can at a time ).

*

You can certainly increase your odds of finding something with prior planning, by using the now clichéd barter and by avoiding the worse hit places.  As with the collapse itself, you aren’t buying 100% guaranteed insurance with preparations so much as jacking up the odds in your favor for success.  Nothing in life is guaranteed.  Even way back in the day when divorce was only allowed for infidelity, the bitch could still cheat on you.  Bitches be loving the drama and intrigue, being predisposed towards those as a survival trait.  There is no guarantee you will find a damn thing on your shopping quest, even after taking a bullet for your trouble.  And don’t get me started on the Yuppie Scum who think three semi-auto’s and twenty magazines will guarantee them they can outgun all the competition and win them an SUV full of last minute groceries.  Tomorrow I’ll continue this and talk about planning and execution. 

END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

17 comments:

  1. Disaster last minute shopping is one of my nightmares. Maybe I'll do second to the last minute shopping, but in a real panic I'm staying home.

    I'm out in the woods for a reason. A trip into town during chaos is a really unattractive idea. Little Jimmy can eat cattails and tree bark before I face that mess.

    If dear old dad somehow shows up, that would be great. Yeah, he's old, but isn't a picky eater and still shoots straight. I've got to sleep sometime. Dad's up all night anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SixBears, you comment on your dad reminds me of my 70 year old buddy. His health is failing and so is his eyesight. He was trying to use red dot type scope and asked which dot do I aim with? I put a scoped rifle with a bit of focus on it and he grinned ear to ear. "Im back in the game". I told him I was gonna prop his old arse up on the porch to watch the road. He has unreal experience and although he is slowing down, his mind is sharp. Hes been prepping for years..

      Delete
  2. I agree on the nightmare part. The same with bugging out. But, just as with bugging out, sometimes you just don't have any choice. Which is the only reason I talk about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been poking back shell's since 1976 and before. some one wants to barter a few I have some ole paper hulled shotshells I'll trade when shtf.:-)Land has been paid for 12 years since last payment..Only trouble I have is I have more guns than kids and grandkids and great grand kid...have plenty of canned goods need another grinder or two...Got me a gen-u-wine Corona at a flea mkt fer 13$..gots all kinda tools an knowledge, bin a long time accumulating..jist don't have lotsa time left:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope most of the guns aren't semi's.

      Delete
  4. Lord Bison of the Great Basin and King of Coiffure;

    During most natural and some man-made disasters, most folks tend to do their last-minute supply runs during the eleventh hour, like during Hurricane Season in the Gulf Coast States. In fact the state of Florida launches a tax-free promotion every June on items like Plywood, Generators, Bulk Water and Tarpaulins, hence some governments promote panic buying before the start of scheduled disaster.

    This being said, that while it is always prudent and thoughtful to stock-up on expendables well prior to any sort of disruption, regardless of the source of the disruption, even the most hardened folk, always remember that three or four 'needed' items in the eleventh hour, thus being out there in the thick of it along with the locusts of society that will strip the land bare. So in the eleventh hour supply run, it seems logical to state that while the supply run might be necessary to account for last-minute arrivals (such as the proverbial in-laws or relatives one hasn't seen in the best part of twenty years), then those arrivals might be the one's actually doing the purchasing, while the prepared and their minions are pulling security on the establishment where the supply run is being made.

    Problems include the usual suspects of local/county(parish)/state(commonwealth)/federal government security apparatus showing up to throw a monkey-wrench into the mix, to well-armed/organized criminal/militia elements determined to do the same unto both the prepared and the last-minute arrivals. This means that prior planning is essential to account for this contingency, especially the egress/evasion/escape and delayed rally points at both the supply point and along routes used for both ingress and egress to the supply point. It would seem that you have a heck of a challenge ahead of you when writing this article about last-minute shopping. Keep keeping it real James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't pretend it will be a successful article. I like your idea on having the newbies do the shopping. Lambs to the slaughter.

      Delete
  5. In a panic -- If you must do a last minute shopping excursion, DON'T GO TO WALMART!!!!

    Hit the local corner market, feed store, office supply store, building supply store.

    These are places that have food that the average yuppie scum won't think about. Heck, go raid your offices coffee break room.

    Yeah, it overpriced junk food maybe with some bottled water but you don't have many options at this point.

    On a side note, I was in Sandpoint, Idaho at Walmart the evening of 9-11-01. It was as dead as a door nail. Everyone was home watching their Tv. The few shoppers that were there had normal every day items in their cart -- no panic buying.

    I was probably the only one with some extra supplies. I bought a case of Bushes Country Style Baked Beans -- my favorite.

    Idaho Homesteader

    PS I find our taxes very reasonable ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My snide comment on taxes was more me asking if Rawles "Idaho has much favorable business environment" is much more than just towards gun makers. It would seem if taxes on business were so low, there would be more and less unemployment. The Nevada no tax on inventory draws in a ton of warehousing.

      Delete
  6. Here's a good article for those folks who think that bugging out is the answer.

    It calculates how many squirrels (and other animals and plants) you would need each day to get enough calories to survive.

    Plus it calculates if the weight of your equipment is equal to the food value you could of carried.

    http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/09/living-off-land-delusions-and.html

    Idaho Homesteader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jumping Yeshua On a Pogo Stick. This boy loves him some camera time.
      Here is the gristle: I do not have Salmon: I got Catfish, Raccoon, Opossum, and Squirrels. I wish you Idaho boyos all the luck - your still screwed.

      Delete
    2. That article is geared toward those less capable than Dave Canterbury, or myself (snark)
      Yet the article is in fact so very true, those average joes whom think they can hunt and gather to survive will most very likely become casualties soon.

      Delete
    3. I plan on hanging out in the parking lot and trolling for some young hotties with enticement of my horn of plenty har har.

      Delete
    4. That site is an excellent explanation for why, for all its flaws, Grain and Potato farming is the way to go for long term survival and civilization.
      Both have their blights, droughts, and other issues, but calories provided vs calories used in production they are tops.
      Nomadic herding peoples could compete in only limited areas (not suitable for farming but sufficent for feeding the heards aka un-plowable grasslands) Deserts were too dry for much population of anything, and the nomadic herders there usually ended up being little more than nuisance raiders to the farming civilizations (they fed their herds at oasis and river ways- which has always been their vulnerabilty)
      Nomadic peoples actually starved more often than farmers, and straight out hunter gatherers only work out in the most forgiving or lowest populated enviroments.
      -Grey

      Delete
    5. What's wrong with being a nuisance raider?

      Delete
  7. Calories don't count. We need one gram protein per
    kg of bodyweight.
    http://www.lionsgrip.com/adelleprotein.html
    http://www.lionsgrip.com/adelleintro.html

    ReplyDelete