Monday, October 14, 2013

amazing flashlight

AMAZING FLASHLIGHTS

Normally my Kindle is for entertainment purposes only. Not that I’ve been having all that much luck with post-apocalypse fiction- I’m in a long stretch of duds. The most exciting novel to date since I stopped reviewing k-books has been a military sci-fi having zero survivalist connection. “A Private Little War” by Jason Sheehan was very well written and a divergence from the usual BS that is the genre. I mean, how many times are you supposed to read a variation of the theme “super deluxe weaponry described in detail which mainly boils down to duplicating ‘Doom’ video games wherein you have the code so that your ammunition never runs out, and tactics primarily depend on just hosing the enemy down non-stop” and it still remains exciting? The book takes a page from “Travellar” role playing and introduces the varying levels of technology to primitive planets so while spaceships delivered the soldiers to the planet, they use primitive WWI era bi-planes ( and 303 ammo!!!!! ) to suppress the stone age indigs. Recommended if you like this kind of thing.

*

Also, while we are talking about fiction, Turtledove is due out with his third in the Supervolcano series this December. I totally missed the second one from a year ago ( thanks whole bunches, Amazon Recommendations ) which I promptly ordered to catch up. If you remember, I had stated after reading the first one, I had no idea if this was going to be a “end of civilization” series or merely the usual turd of “the government survives and saves the day, making this just a disaster fiction like friggin the movie Towering Inferno”. As soon as I get the paper book delivered I’ll dive into it and let everyone know. See, this is where your hard earned donations/Amazon Commissions primarily go.

*

Every once in awhile I do order a Kindle book that isn’t just entertainment. There was the one where I got the “your chances of experiencing a super-volcano are 25-75% in your lifetime” article idea from. And here is another one, a 2000 hour flashlight. “The Amazing 2000-Hour Flashlight” by Ron Brown. It’s only a buck to order. The lumen output is low, but it is consistent for over two thousand hours. And it is so butt simple even I, King Non-Mechanically Inclined, could build it. There is no soldering, as it uses a conductive glue ( the most expensive part of a $12 project which includes the flashlight ). You are merely inserting a resister in one of the lights wires. The book doesn’t claim originality, having researched the Interweb searching “hacking flashlights”, but for a mere dollar the instructions are well laid out and surprisingly for a Kindle, the pictures are very clear.

*

The light is a big boxy 6 volt type, and even though he tells you where to buy a rechargeable type I don’t think in a grid-down situation this is ideal. You want to buy a six dollar replacement battery and just sit and watch it drain? This flashlight is better for off-grid life, not grid-down. But Wait! Seeming to anticipate my reservations, he also covers changing this from a 6v battery to several D’s or C’s. Obviously you don’t get the full 2000 hours then, but you get plenty anyway. Then you can have solar rechargeable batteries. An amazing little book. If you are too cheap, just research the hacks yourself.

END

The Old Bison Blog on CD
Over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment