Thursday, September 19, 2013

vacation daze


VACATION DAZE

Well, since a minion brought up the subject, and I can use it since it’s pretty good, and because if I do shamelessly solicit article ideas and then use them ( a lot of past ideas weren’t weighty enough to fill the old standard 1k words.  With only 500 now a lot of those are feasible ) I might cut my work load even further by not having to think all that much, today’s topic is taking vacations.  As I replied in the comments section when it was brought up, DON’T.  You NEVER, ever, ever, EVER, leave the perimeter.  Charlie is on the other side.  And in case all your dead buddies aren’t any clue, Charlie WILL kill you.  , Yesteryear Charlie wore black jammies, today Charlie wears a hoodie and eats Skittles, tomorrow anybody and everybody will be wearing rags and be trying to kill you.  Personally I think the whole concept of vacations is overdone.  Yes, we need to relieve stress.  We have our day lives, full of screaming bosses and rude commuters and shrill cold fish wives and ingrate children, and then we have our Double Secret Identity lives, full of prepping gear and plotting escapes ( and revenge! ) and worrying if the dark asshat in the White House is actually The Dark One from down below and if so when is he going to send in the black helicopters?

*

So, yes, being a good survivalist is hard work and stressful.  But taking vacations adds to stress.  You are outside the perimeter.  Charlie lurks.  Personally, I haven’t taken a vacation in thirteen years, the week prior to Y2K ( I was the only one worried and had plenty built up ).  I didn’t leave past bicycling distance of the house.  When I take two vacation days a year, on Friday to make it a three day weekend, I visit Dad down Carson City way.  But I’m staying in the Great Basin.  That is as far as I’ll ever go.  I didn’t go to my kids graduations- they are out of the perimeter.  I paid to have them come visit.  These things are no great fun for me.  To see family, I have to pay.  Even my 21 year old daughter makes more money than me- and I pay to see the rest of the family.  I take the wife down to visit, her and my parents sit around and pound adult beverages.  I sit and watch them.  Great fun on my vacation day, driving seven hours one way to watch others have a good time.  So, I de-stress in other ways.  My daily writing is about all that keeps me sane ( well, and of course reading-without reading and coffee I think I’d eat a bullet ). 

*

Find what little affordable activity takes away stress.  And do it every day.  Don’t save up your stress for a year, then add more stress with added bills and added danger from leaving your comfort zone, thinking a week will undo the damage.  Vacation used to be for uptown aristocrats.  Real people who work for a living don’t need them.

END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

27 comments:

  1. Ukulele - great stress reduced and easy to learn.

    Idaho homesteader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speak of the devil. I usually wake up nightly and then stay awake a bit worrying about work. Last night I woke up and stayed awake a few minutes worrying about how to write up the fiction we just talked about. So, you implanted the idea and it won't leave. I just have to find the original and take some notes. I'll know to curse or thank you in a bit.

      Delete
    2. I have a copy filed away on my computer if you need me to send it to you.

      Idaho Homesteader

      Delete
    3. That would be great if you e-mail it to me ( just put in the body of the mail so there is no file compatible issues ) and I'll print it out at work for a easy referance. I'm thinking I'll churn out a few thousand words revised and post for approval of denial ( use old version or go with new ) in a week or two. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. Email has been sent.

      If I were you, I wouldn't change your story too much. This is one of those stories that make you laugh out loud and saying, "he didn't really just say that did he?" The charm is in the fact that it is a little bit rough.

      It's descriptive, quirky and funny. Don't try to over think it. The people who like your blog enjoy your slightly eccentric view on life.

      You just need to continue the story using the sarcastic, "I'm going to call it the way I see it" tone of voice.

      If you do decide that you want to polish this up and try and sell it, I would recommend using the blog approach to writing.

      You aren't on the computer much, so maybe you haven't seen how some folks (like Halffast who wrote "Light's Out") polish a story.

      They post a short chapter and open it up for comments. Some of your minions will give you smart ass comments but many will give you a good critique. They'll help clean up any spelling/grammatical errors along with technical errors. Voila -- you'll get the first edit done for free.

      Idaho Homesteader

      Delete
    5. I remember liking chapter one on Randy. Not sure I did the jerky guy character as well. I will post for editing, plus free reading, on top of the regular posts. Again, thanks a million.

      Delete
  2. Great Idea Jim:

    Take a vacation.
    Transform yourself.
    Become the person you were meant to be.
    I know you never visited these sites, you should do this now.
    See what you can be and be happy for the rest of your life. Enjoy a NEW YOU enjoy the freedom, the sex, the looks, the style, the attire, above all the happiness.

    www.bonercancer.tumbler.com

    www.usef87.tumblr.com

    www.blacwhiteunite.blogspot.com.

    www.bigandlong.tumblr.com

    If you decide to become one of them, I'll be the first one to congratulate you publicly..

    minion Legions. Take a look and help Jim to make a change. He'll be happy for the rest of his life.

    You'll be looking great Jimbo.

    Your $20. owing mother humper fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I change, so I change perfection. All great thinkers had screwed up personal lives.

      Delete
  3. Good advice oh Great one of the perfect hair! I'm not interested in the classic tourist vacation but may travel to visit some friends. Have one of the few family members I like in Florida I may go see. Other than that I stay in about a 75 mile radius. I don't foresee ever returning to my home town.

    Kind of liking the 500 word format. More concise but still wit-filled.

    Your humble minion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Writing in the morning is much less stress. I haven't utilized my now free lunch hour constructively this week but I'll put it to good use soon.

      Delete
  4. Doctor James you state "Charlie now wears a hoodie and eats skittles"
    You are 1 crazy ass cracker! I think you are following me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not following, just ripping off good material.

      Delete
  5. (Per Dr Beto, former Director TDCJ, for every one hundred felonies committed there are three arrests and one and one half convictions.)


    http://nij.gov/topics/corrections/recidivism/welcome.htm

    excerpt
    Recidivism is one of the most fundamental concepts in criminal justice. It refers to a person's relapse into criminal behavior, often after receiving sanctions or undergoing intervention for a previous crime.

    Sanctions are administered by federal, state or local jurisdictions and include all punishments that are available to the jurisdiction, such as fines, forms of community supervision and imprisonment. Interventions are programs such as drug treatment, employment training or cognitive therapies.

    An individual recidivates when he or she commits a crime at any time during or after the intervention or sanctioning process.

    National Statistics on Recidivism

    Bureau of Justice Statistics recidivism studies that surveyed offenders released from prisons in 1983 and 1994 found high rates of recidivism among released prisoners.
    •Of the 108,580 prisoners released from prisons in 11 states in 1983, nearly 63 percent were re-arrested within three years, 47 percent were convicted of a new crime, and 41 percent were returned to prison or jail.
    •Among nearly 300,000 prisoners released in 15 states in 1994, 68 percent were re-arrested within three years, 47 percent were convicted of a new crime, and 25 percent were recommitted to prison with a new sentence.
    Within three years, 52 percent of the released prisoners in the 1994 study were back in prison either because of a new crime or because of a parole violation (such as failing a drug test or missing a parole appointment). This post-prison recidivism was strongly related to arrest history—within three years of their release, 41 percent of prisoners with one prior arrest were re-arrested, but 82 percent of those with more than 15 prior arrests (18 percent of all released prisoners) were re-arrested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, BUT, how much of that is because 'the usual suspects' are the first to be looked at for all crimes? as much as 10% or more of the people in prision did NOT commit the crime.
      And once you have a felony on your record it is VERY hard to find legitimate employment, and even your welfare benefits opportunities are reduced- encouraging a further life of crime.
      I have had a variety of dealings with a variety of felons.
      In the end most have slid into a life of poverty and petty crime, most will TRY to have anger issues so that they can become vicious enough to be killers if they have to. (an odd sort of self protection there.
      I think that prisoners would be only slightly more dangerous than all the other criminals that will be running around loose during the PODA crash. Gangs exist in and out of prison. BUT it is completly possible some of the lower security prisons could make a go of it as pseudo monastary type places- many have rehabilitation programs involving farming, ranching, basic mechanics, and already have armed guards- who would simply need to set a nicer wing of the prison aside as there families residences, and split their attention to the outside as well as the inside. The Head warden would be the new duke of the fortified town.
      If they can adopt crossbows or black powder weapons fast enough they might even be able to pull through.

      -Grey

      Delete
    2. That never occured to me- great thought. The Longest Yard meets The Road Warrior.

      Delete
  6. I can, somewhat, proudly state that I have not even gone past the county line in over 15 years. If you can't relax in your own backyard with a jug of wine and some slightly charred BBQ ribs, DisneyLand ain't gonna do Jimmy Jack Squat for you. Stay home and funnel your money into that Zen like state of calm that comes from passing out in your own hammock. Yes, I am becoming a hermit - wee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't brag about staying in the county line, Elko county is as large as many countries.

      Delete
  7. But how will you know how to bug out if your don't practice?

    I don't "vacation." I do change location a whole heck of a lot. I don't need a vacation from my life as it's pretty darn good.

    I'm about to spend the better part of 6 months living on a tiny sailboat. That's not a vacation. That's me and the lovely wife moving our residence to a boat for a while. Where ever the boat is, we are home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a wife I'd be able to stand cooped up in a sailboat with.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I know I'm a lucky guy. Having a good wife makes the rest life go much easier.

      Of course, I'm a saint, so there's that.

      Delete
    3. And it doesn't hurt she worships your facial hair. Mine claims she is not in awe of mny hair, being a dirty hippie chick and all, but I suspect she's lying.

      Delete
  8. All work and no play makes Jim a very dull boy
    All work and no play makes Jim a very dull boy
    All work and no play makes Jim a very dull boy
    All work and no play makes Jim a very dull boy
    All work and no play makes Jim a very dull boy
    All work and no play makes Jim a very dull boy
    All work and no play makes Jim a very dull boy
    All work and no play makes Jim a very dull boy..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you cut and pasted that rather than re-typed each line. That would be dull.

      Delete
  9. Let's see....
    Now that you are doing 500 word pieces, you actually have to THINK some to make the article coherent.

    With the 1000 worders you just blabbered away, spittle flying every which way. Typing every stray thought you had. JUST to make that 1000 word goal.

    If you cut back to 250, we will be thinking the articles are written by a genius!

    You Know Who

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then I'd be like everybody else, a few words to support twenty ads. I do love the spittle flying image :)

      Delete
  10. Want a good laugh?

    http://ready4itall.org/top-10-reasons-why-youre-probably-better-off-staying-in-the-city-during-a-shtf-disaster/

    The lengths people will go to to convince themselves!

    MICoyote

    ReplyDelete
  11. You already know the lengths I go to convince myself how great I am.

    ReplyDelete