Thursday, September 26, 2013

more ammo mumblings


MORE AMMO MUMBLINGS

You would think after my snafu over the gunpowder availability issue I would be all butt hurt and feeling sorry for myself and cursing at minions and grumbling that it simply isn’t possible I ever made a mistake, but you would be wrong.  Oh, don’t get me wrong.  I’m always feeling butt hurt and cursing minions, but that’s just my go-to mode.  That’s an everyday thing.  No, what that mistake taught me was, hey, there’s an article in this!  Accounting for the haz-mat shipping cost being extra, you figure after a couple of can of powder, assuming they were available and at regular price, reloading for thirty cal rifle ( about 150 rounds per pound of powder ), you are looking at a minimum of about twenty cents a round for reloading in powder alone.  Perhaps if you bought by the pallet that would go down- but I like figuring in middlin sizes which is all most of us can afford.  But the Slavic’s are shipping steel case ammo again, to your door at about thirty cents a complete round when you buy a thousand.  While not a huge fan of the carbine rounds, and still urging you to be very careful about King Skittle banning ammo imports suddenly, you might still consider the 762x39 if that round suits your location/needs.

*

It is far better to have rounds on hand that are less than perfect than to have paper money in hand waiting for powder to be available for your perfect rounds that OOPS-never get reloaded.  Last week I held a plastic wrapped brick of 303 that a generous minion had donated the funds for, gazed at it lovingly, and promptly as is my nature started feeling glum that this not too heavy package was Friggin A Hundred Bucks!  That is a lot of lettuce.  I don’t know if I can repeat that too many more times.  Ammo while it is available, or a rain catchment system?  Conundrums.  Anyway, my point being it is better to have ammo than money but it is also MUCH better to have three times the ammo if possible.  At the same time this was going on The Sportsman’s Guide sent their latest shooters catalog.  You can buy an AK-47 receiver blank for $25 ( you drill a hole and it becomes a gun part.  Prior to that a piece of metal, uncontrolled by the ATF ).  The barrel for an AK is $90 and the rest in a parts kit is a smidge over $300.  You could build your own AK, legal with no paperwork ( you figure that the parts order would be noted somewhere to the authorities, however- think NSA recording of everything ), for $415.  I’m not a huge fan of the AK because of accuracy issues, but you have to admire what you are getting so cheap.  And if you could actually practice fire discipline and not waste, you could stock a lot of ammo for this carbine.  Just another option ( my choice would be the ammo fired from a single shot H&R- better accuracy and cheap ammo ).

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,
Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

26 comments:

  1. "You are butt hurt and cursing minions"
    You are on that situation because you want to be.
    You can dress for success and be taking monies to the bank every single day, just like this people are doing, Your refusal to change the lifestyle you have are getting you broke till your retirement and then you'll be living in peanuts.
    change your lifestyle now that you have some sort of youth left and of course "good looking hair".
    Make the change like this people did and go to the bank every single day.
    Be proud of the change and walk tall.

    www.usef87.tumblr.com

    You'll be looking great and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good ol' .22 is still cheapest of all for the extremely frugal. 3 rounds in the abdomen and 2 in the head means just an 18 cent cost to dispatch any 2 legged varmint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you finding it under 10cent a round?

      Delete
    2. Just bought 3 more bricks at Walleys world the other day for $20 a brick of 525 rounds. Just a matter of being there when the truck comes in. Also picked up another lb of Pyrodex for the BP gun.
      Go ahead and curse this flaunting minion of "SNARK" heh !
      Course ur battling a whole flock of red necks out there in Helko, whereas I'm here in Yuppie central...makes a bit of difference in demand I suppose.

      Delete
    3. Yep-here we can wear open carry into Wally.

      Delete
    4. Yah, here the Yuppies are afraid of guns and the gang bangers only got the bullets that are in the mag lol
      I got all the rest ha ha LMFAO !

      Delete
  3. I looked at a very sweet 12 gauge pump the other day. Then I thought: how the heck am I going to feed it? I've only one box of 12 gauge birdshot at home. That's because I've an old broken down single shot 12 and I couldn't stand to have nothing to run through it. I'd never be able to store up 12 gauge ammo in any quantity at a reasonable price.

    I'm sticking with the guns and ammo I actually have, as my good guns have plenty of feed.

    Us preppers do these calculations all the time. Probably buy more solar panels rather than more guns, but that's because energy appears to be a more pressing problem for me than security.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boat itself makes good security, so i understand the equation. Any justice, we could have it all. Alas...

      Delete
    2. 12 gauge is plentiful and still at decent prices. I can get all I want either at the stores or Sportmans guide.

      MICoyote

      Delete
    3. I had heard the same- and at about a quarter a round on sale. I still say the ore shortages are primary.

      Delete
  4. I think Remington still imports the single shot Russian Spartan, this with a CHROME bore. Useful for when shooting that corrosive 7.62x39 ammunition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it bolt or break open? I had terrible luck with a Russian break shotgun.

      Delete
    2. Break open - the one with funny looking lever opener behind trigger. That was rotten luck you had with the Baikal shotgun. Some references I lookede at mention the Spartan imported by Remington were better, but I have no 1st hand knowledge of that.

      Delete
  5. Jim as wierd as it sounds ammo ships as consumer product with no haz mat placards req. where i worked in the 90s handled many pallets a day being shiped it has a goverment exemption to reduce shipping cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Course, it should be impossible to explode ammo unless other crap already is going up. I imagine not so with powder.

      Delete
  6. Yes the PTB are realling screwing with the ammo. I'm glad a buddy talking me into a couple of cases of 7.62x339 when in was around $220. I am a fan of the commie guns for ruggedness and all around cost. SKSs, AKs, M-44s, even the MN 91. Ammo costs can get huge. I am a huge fan of the 22 also. Ammo is high now but I stacked it deep in the day. Like my pump 12s also.

    First rule is to get something that goes bang. Something that you can feed. Ammo is getting better by the Walmart meter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cost of manufacturing your own AK pattern rifle gets even more interesting if you're willing to tread into poodle shooter territory with the 5.45x39. At .17 cents a round (http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6974&dir=18|830|851), and a parts kit for $259 (http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6974&dir=18|830|851), the 74 pattern is a contender in frugality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a damn good option. Just beware finding much post-collapse.

      Delete
    2. I am a dumb minion and duplicated the URL. The ak74 parts kit: http://www.rrcfirearms.com/pd-bulgarian-ak-74-parts-kit.cfm

      Actually ran out of stock between then and now, but they're out there.

      Delete
    3. The original 5.45x39 fmj round tumbles on penetration. The U.S. only recently got around to copying the idea.

      Delete
    4. It was my understanding that the original 223 tumbled. Then they changed that for range.

      Delete
    5. 434-you are not dumb. Just harried and overworked, undersexed and underrested. That is always my excuse, anyway.

      Delete
  8. Okay folks- gone until Monday morning. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If'n Ah stay safe , ah cain't haff no fun....

      Delete