Monday, September 23, 2013

insane butane


INSANE BUTANE

A minion asked what I thought of butane camping stoves, and although I’ve never used then nonetheless as you should all know by now and if you don’t to your everlasting regret you soon will, I still hold strong opinions on them.  From what little I understand of these items, they are for the ultra-light weight camping crowd.  Now, I know I’m wrong and I apologize profusely for my uneducated politically incorrect conclusions, but I’ve always had a hard time associating this activity with anything other than Rainbow Coalition Camping.  I don’t go about trying to create extra work for myself ( word smarter, not harder ), but being so anal retentive over tenths of an ounce of weight, going to extremes to provide all earthly luxuries at almost no weight, well, frankly this hints at an effeminate activity.  Or, to be blunt if I might, gay ( I’m aware that manly men scaling Mount Everest might employ this equipment.  However, at that height and lack of oxygen, it would be classified under “lifesaving” rather than “flaming” ).  But that is not why I disapprove of this kind of equipment.  The fact that it is specialty item is what chaps my ass.

*

A specialty item, as a tool for a craftsman which saves time and money and increases the quality of the finished product, that is all fine and good.  But when your tool has become high tech and fragile, it does not belong in the survivalists tool chest.  I would immediately bring up three thousand dollar thermal heat detectors, but I shant digress.  I’m thinking more along the lines of specialty metal in a bike frame to make it light weight.  You can’t repair or replace that in the future, can you?  The fiberglass canoe or boat, rather than the wooden one.  Even if you could find a rather affordable one, the fifty caliber sniper rifle.  Unless you get the ammo from the military, and personally I’d rather not storm THAT gun, what you have supplied is it for the Apocalypse.  Almost nobody has that ammo.  It is too specialized, even if it is perfect for the job. 

*

Let’s say you had your butane camping stove and you are merrily skipping along because your pack weighs next to nothing ( when I say travel light, the pack maxing at ten to fifteen pounds, I mean don’t carry most things- I don’t mean carry everything but make sure it doesn’t weigh much ).  You get to your deluxe concrete retreat atop a mountain.  And you now have a worthless camping stove.  If you had a propane stove, you could double duty it as a back up to the stoves in your retreat.  Propane comes in big industrial size containers.  Butane does not.  Propane, in those big tanks, is $2.50 a gallon.  Butane is much more per BTU ( gasoline, propane and kerosene all cost about the same compared for the cost per 1000 BTU.  Anything else is pricey ).  Be wary of specialty items.  Make sure you can afford that luxury, and that they have post-collapse utility ( the argument against carbon fuels after the collapse is for another day ).

END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Contact Information, Links To Others, Survival Basics, My Newsletter Book, Frugal Survival Book, Life After Collapse Book, Post-Apoc Movies, ( free ) Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! ) My Other Free Books,

Homesteading For $3k Book, Top 20 Survivalist Fiction, Land In Elko, Blog Book, Lord Bison
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
www.BisonPress.com
*
My books on PDF available at
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=james++dakin&sorter=relevance-desc
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

21 comments:

  1. Jim:
    Four months ago my father was given about 6 months to live.
    At that time my father said : Take me to the stores and he purchase every little thing using his credit "c's".
    He's been gone for the last two months and bills has been accumulating at his former apartment.
    since then I been receiving phone calls from creditors trying to get info. I just don't know anything "I tell them and hung up the phone". The calls have been diminishing and I'm planning to change my phone and place it in my boyfriends name,( the father of my two sons).
    I understand my father got pretty nifty stuff for a BOL that I may or may not know the location.(lol). My dad always follow the news and lately , before he pass, was very much concerned. He always used to say that people should get their share of the monies that certain agencies gave to the banksters. He said : I'm getting my stimulus $$ before I leave this shit hole. Well I just don't know what he meant.
    Can you give me an idea of what it means? Was that a good move. What is stick it to the man means? What means I paid my share and I'm leaving before my time and where is my SS money going to end up?
    I just don't have the slightiest idea of what he was talking about, I wonder if you can help decifer all the jumble. what is I'm getting my share of the stimulus.
    what it means the world is going to end some day and all the morality and laws and organized religions are going to die. All of this was made for nothing at the end.
    I still don't get it !!!!. Pleae help me.
    One last question: Did he take the right steps or he did wrong by taking the wrong path? But if the world will end one day does it matter??

    Please answer these question with your brilliant knowledge. I like your hair too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what he meant. I haven't heard about money going to the bankers that the little people could partake of. But, if you could, hell ya he should have. Don't fall for the line that welfare means money from the productive class. Anymore, the rich all get that way by humping over somebody. Welfare, either personal or corporate, is just fake, Monopoly, printed money that will never be repaid. I'd advise everyone to get as much as they can. Use the cause of the coming collapse to prepare for it. Every tribe for themselves. And hump the 1%. Bastards are getting rich from it all, lamp post hanging is too good for them. Might be tomorrows article.

      Delete
    2. Jim i think what he meant was he was maxing out his cards and running up usecured debt. If he has a BOL i think anon will find its fully stocked.unsecured and card debt is impossible to collect after death.

      Delete
    3. OK, thanks. I didn't think on that one, even though I did the same thing before my bankruptcies ( just not enough to get a BOL ). I need stronger coffee for the mornings.

      Delete
  2. I'm the anonymous who asked about this in an earlier article - Thank you for setting me straight, the whole thing did sound a bit too good to be true.

    The stove I was thinking about was that plastic cased 12" x 12" x 2" deep single burner model, the top flipping over to provide cooking support. Butane cartridges appears to be 'hairspray' can sized, for reference.


    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I helped. Sometimes I don't know if I'm just repeating what folks already know.

      Delete
  3. I can't see butane, propane, etc as anything other than dependencies. They're great as long as you have a supply, not so much as after the supply dries up. As we slip into our Third World future - what's more common: natural combustibles, or freely available fuel cylinders?
    Anyhow, here's some entertainment:
    http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/man-uses-spear-to-save-girlfriend-from-mountain-lion/
    Gotta love spears. The original medium range weapon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember folks, plan ahead. Duct taping a butcher knife to a broom handle doesn't make a good spear. Nor does taping it to a hunting rifle, ala the new Brad Pit zombie movie, make it a good bayonet.

      Delete
  4. nightsoil here

    oh boy, more good news from fukushima.

    http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/09/the-real-fukushima-danger.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I hope I'm not glowing in the dark before I have a chance to read this stuff.

      Delete
  5. When not burning twigs and sticks, I use a Whisper lite gasoline stove. Burns either Coleman fuel or regular car gas. It's what I use to cook with on my boat. (I cook outside in the cockpit for safety and built a pad that holds the stove in place) If I run out of Coleman fuel, I can burn the same gas my little outboard uses. On the other hand, the Coleman fuel works in the outboard too. Won't last in a collapse, but at least it's not a high priced specialized item in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find gasoline in a thousand places- to butanes one. Good call.

      Delete
  6. From Buckshot's The Basics of Stocking a Retreat For One Year

    An apartment size propane cookstove with a small oven is very efficient. Normal everyday usage is from 2 to 5 gallons a month. Five gallons of propane is commonly called a 20 pound cylinder. You can get two 25 gallon cylinders (100 pound) and hook up with automatic switch over when the first tank is empty it switches to the full tank. Hook up to a propane stove and you have one year supply of cooking for a family of four.

    This is just an estimate--your results may vary. Now this is not a camp stove but a regular looking small apartment size propane kitchen stove.

    MICoyote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out that book for Buckshot-thanks

      Delete
    2. Oops. Not a book- a SurvialBlog article.

      Delete
  7. Long term collapse, I really like the idea of a solar stove for when the sun's shining. On cloudy days, the stoves that utilize twigs seem like a practical back up. Something like this:

    http://www.fireboxstove.com/camp-stoves?gclid=CM7Zwcic5LkCFY5r7Aod-BQAUg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, the basic stove there equals almost three months wheat. Use a coffee can instead, and you'll have both a stove and food to cook on it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that was just an example Jim. Same with a solar cooker. Very easy to make, and tons of tutorials on youtube.

      A possible idea for a future article that your homeless tent dweller story reminded me of. Very basic or throw away housing. I remember Larry Dean Olsen discussing the wikiup variation on the teepee in his survival guide. Looks comfy and well insulated to me? A while back, a large crate came in to my place of employment. This got me to thinking? What if a savvy fellow were to build one of these that was large enough to lay down and sleep in, stand up in, and perhaps just enough room to fit a porta-potty? Such a unit can be built to slip fit in to a pickup bed, and joila! Instant shelter upon arrival.

      Delete
    3. I'll think on that one- don't know if I can improve on my junk van idea.

      Delete
  8. I will have to search it but there is a guy who designs tiny as in 3x7 shelters like that. He wrote some books. It is very doable. I still opt for the 12x12 or similiar cabin that beats the heck out of a tent. Insulated and even solar gain like Jim has wrote about. Could even go 8x8 for one person and have a lot of comforts. Zoning is the issue now. I have to build 800 feet on my land but I can do it pretty cheaply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elko, butt cold and windy with no water or trees, was a draw to me because there is little zoning. They are shuffling off the independently minded to the isolated regions, but we want to be there anyway.

      Delete