Thursday, September 12, 2013

evil clown apocalypse


EVIL CLOWN APOCALYPSE

Today we talk about evil.  Again.  But since I don’t think we’ve beat it into the ground like some other subjects, we can do that.  First, however, a few odd notes I can’t make into complete articles.  As I just said, the Jack In The Box Apocalypse is coming October 7th.  Jack In The Box is a western region fast food place, unavailable to you unworthies east of the Rockies.  Oh, you won’t die if you never eat there, but it certainly is much better feed bag eating than places like Popeye’s.  At one time, in a faraway fantasyland of my childhood where getting the most recent release GI Joe accessory was the most important thing in your life outside the next episode of Mister Magoo or Bugs Bunny ( the cool accessories to the one foot high dolls, not the gay ones only a few inches tall that later polluted the folk culture ), most fast food was about the same.  McDonalds and Burger King and Jack In The Box all catered to kids.  The toy was what sold the meals.  So, Jack In The Box was obviously itself a big toy, I suppose the thinking went.  But today they differentiate themselves by having much better quality food ( the difference being relative of course- I wouldn’t want to eat at any of them on a regular basis ).  And I crave their deep fried tacos, two for a dollar.  As taco’s go, these things are a big greasy slice of heaven.  So, because I actually WANT those tacos, and because obviously it is indeed all about me and the universe itself is aligned against me, it just makes sense that as soon as those tacos are dangled in front of my salivating face the entire country will collapse and deprive the local Jack of needed taco supplies.  This stuff is simple math people.

*

I went on my monthly rent-a-car trip into town three weeks ago or so.  And bought my usual two hundred pounds of wheat.  Usually I buy 100 pounds and buckets, but most of this year I’ve been getting 200 pounds each month as I envision the countries drought continuing and I have no idea if wheat will ever be available at affordable prices real soon ( even without a drought if oil gets too high the supply can’t be affordably transported anyway ).  However, last weekend I got this really weird down in the gut feeling that wouldn’t let me relax and read, and I went back into town and rented a car again.  And bought an additional 600 pounds of wheat.  It had nothing to do with the Syrian circus or anything else.  And that was before I knew the Evil Clown Apocalypse by date ( they just posted the open date two days ago ).  It was just a feeling.  Well, now that I’ve quieted that reptilian voice I can focus on other stuff.  I really need gunpowder, and the solar cooker issue is bothering me.  I’ve ordered a book on do-it-yourself solar cookers ( the water heater doesn’t seem to cook food, and I refuse to buy one for $250 ) and come the end of this month when I visit my folks for their twice a year graced with my presence I plan on hitting the gun stores down there and buy a few hundred bucks worth of powder.  After that, I can’t think of anything I’m behind on and should be able to relax marginally.

*

Russell reviewed the Eden book over at his site:


He was NOT pleased with it, to say the least.  I commented saying I loved it, and he replied I was blinded by the shiny bauble of the stories info dump.  I laughed at that one, since it is so true.  Just as others are blinded by the shiny and bright toy of the AR-15, ignoring tactical or logistical realities, give me a story I can lose myself in and I’ll love the thing regardless of its faults.  Now, I can’t argue with Russell on the small details as I’ve read so many novels between Eden and now I’d have to reread it to jog my memory.  But I will say that I don’t think the author is necessarily evil ( or his story, anyway ) as just confused or lacking imagination.  It seemed to me his story was one method of exploring options in dealing with resource scarcity, to include minimizing harm done to others.  Where he went wrong was ignoring the needs of those outside the tribe.  You are allowed to harm those outside your tribe.  By definition you can’t escape that since you are literally fighting for your life and this will be a zero sum game.  But what you shouldn’t be allowed to do is harm them in an evil way.  Dead is dead, you say, right?  Wrong.

*

My definition of evil is harming others to maximize your profit, or because it minimizes your struggles, or to maximize your baser instincts.  You WILL harm others.  You can’t have a harmless apocalypse.  But you must harm others in as humane a fashion as possible.  The obvious example is cannibalism.  If it comes to that, eating dead people is okay ( the Donner Party, the Andes plane wreck, the Chinese swapping dead babies to avoid eating family ) after all other options are gone.  KILLING people to eat them is just evil.  It is okay to fight to the death on the battlefield, but it is evil to take prisoners and then later killing them because you can’t feed them.  I think the big bone of contention in this novel was the prisoner execution.  Sure, you can’t feed them as prisoners.  And the thinking was you can’t feed slaves ( this is where my memory fails me on the story.  I can’t recall why they weren’t taken as slaves.  Fear of a rise up?  They never heard of chains, and worse but better than nothing, hobbling? ).  So they were executed.  This is why I say a failure of imagination.  You need to treat those you harm better than that, obviously.  Slavery sucks, but it is less harmful than execution after surrender.  Killing infants is evil, unless the alternative is leaving them to slowly die in the cold from lack of food.  Is it less evil to put women in a harem that to kill them outright after you killed their husbands in a village raid?  Without the husband they can’t defend themselves, possibly can’t provide for themselves.  You are still harming them.  You just make sure you do as little harm as possible.  To me, that is the difference between good and evil.  You either sacrifice to do as little harm as possible, or you do evil because it is easier.

END

27 comments:

  1. Lord Bison of the great basin and king of coiffure.

    Your anonymous links to the site are totally right, however since I discover another link to other site.

    These people suffer all kinds of discrimination since grammar school all the way to college, work, society rejections, refusal to be employed anything that you can throw at them , and finally got success and recognition in life.

    They are making money and laughing all the way to the bank.

    Maybe you should try to do something like it.

    www.bonercancer.tumblr.com

    www.usef87.tumblr.com

    What a life! And finally success and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money will soon be crap and success today is death tomorrow. Why waste the effort?

      Delete
  2. Lord Bison of the Great Basin and king of Coiffure;

    It seems to me and my pea-brained mind that the point of today's article is that evil is just another way of saying lazy. If one cannot feed prisoners, if one cannot feed slaves, then one should just end their lives and be rid of future insurrection against you.

    However I must add this all important caveat, as you have patiently instructed all of your minions over the years as this: You've warned us of the impending collapse of modern civilization with all of its convenience and easy living. If my neighbor wants to ignore the warnings, which are all around him and his neighbors, then why all of a sudden does it become my responsibility to provide for him and his family, with hard (economically speaking) to come by resources that is difficult to provide for my family? I'm not buying that argument at all.

    We human beings were provided with a base amount of intelligence from our creator for a reason, to survive and to cultivate that intelligence to that end alone. Therefore if my neighbor doesn't want to cultivate his intelligence to that end, then by all rights have morally forfeited his and by extension his families rights to survival. It isn't my fault that he chose what to do with his base intelligence, conversely it is not his fault if the situation was reversed and it was I who is the proverbial ostrich with my head in the sand, while the lion of reality is coming around the next set of bushes to maul my hide into that day's lunch. Social Darwinism indeed! Why don't we ask the Easter Islanders about this conundrum? We can't since it was a near extinction level event for that civilization and that the survivors were enslaved by the Spanish, who were notorious about their lack of record keeping, when it came to indigenous peoples of the planet. Social Darwinism is what compels you to write your blog, as it is what compels me to listen to what you have to offer to enhance my personal and family's survival during and after the collapse of civilization. Keep keeping it real James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as feeding the non-prepper neighbor, the hump that made three times your salary and saved/invested NOTHING, I don't think they are owed anything. Persuant to today's article, I'd say the following: You know eventually they will attack you/steal from you. Yet, I would say it is evil of you to preemptively kill him. You just have to be aware/vigilent, then act in self defense after he strikes. If you want to stay non-evil. Personally, I'm not sure how I'll react. I could lie and claim The High Road Regardless, but you don't want to hear sunshine beamed up your ass.

      Delete
    2. In so very many ways you and I agree Master Dakin. Just because rule of mans law will be gone does not give one the moral right to premptively kill.

      Delete
  3. "Jack In The Box is a western region fast food place, unavailable to you unworthies east of the Rockies."

    We had these back in Michigan in the 70's and 80's. Then they seemed to disappear over night. Like Hardee's, but they came back.

    I'd rather have JITB.

    MICOYOTE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See commit below for surly reply to non-exclusitivity

      Delete
  4. In addition to the West, Jack in the Box may be found in Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Tennessee, all of which are located East of the Rockies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAMMIT!!!!! So, the only claim to fame here is we are one big ass desert. Okay, I could brag on "In And Out Burger", but they've started to kinda suck ass bad as they expanded.

      Delete
    2. Almost every Jack in the Box I have seen east of the Rockies was eventually shut down by the health department. One of them after a botulism outbreak.

      Delete
  5. My problem with Lloyd Tackitt's second book is that Adrian hibernates with a Grizzley for two weeks without food or water. Is Adrian a demi-god?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duh! Six times combat speed. But don't worry, his enemies have super mad skills too, from the radiation.

      Delete
  6. The evil thing pointed out by Russell and others was the killing of the woman & child. I had problems with that myself but I realized that in this situation, the tribe killed the man. If the woman was allowed to leave, the woman would seek revenge or die. If allowed into the tribe, the womon would seek revenge or if she accepted her man's death and did nothing, the woman would not be a good addition to the tribe.

    For all this tribe business and SHTF, as a guide I look to the American Indian actions in situations.

    Gil

    Word usage sucks, running late to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, the Indians also gleefully tortured their captives, which I'd vote as evil.

      Delete
    2. Point of view. Gleefully locking up people for smoking some weed would be considered, perhaps not evil, but not right by Indians.

      I work with guys that were in Iraq/etc. The ones that were in the bad shit have this stare where they look center mass of you, rarely eye to eye.

      Slow collapse, sure we all play nice and call the cops if it gets crazy. Fast collapse, we revert to intelligent animals in oreder to survive.

      I'm not sure if I can revert to an intelligent animal if needed. But I don't kid myself about the need.

      Gil

      Delete
    3. I like that. It sums it up. I know I NEED to, just not sure if I CAN.

      Delete
  7. EVIL...EVIL...EVIL...

    Think DEEPLY about this: Morals are based on doing what is necessary for survival. (primarily "group" survival).

    Additionally... What about using "EVIL" deeds to build reputation and scare other groups from attacking you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Bisoness,

    Regarding your statement:

    "and come the end of this month when I visit my folks for their twice a year graced with my presence I plan on hitting the gun stores down there and buy a few hundred bucks worth of powder."

    Hoo ha har hoo haw!

    Really? You mean foot powder? Talcum powder? Hell, cocaine even?

    Surely you don't mean GUN powder!!

    Snowflakes in Hades are easier to come by. Unless you mean Pyrodex or similar.

    Maybe you'll get some .22LR while you're at it?

    You need to get out more, Jim.

    >:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, you bastards burst my bubble on Jack In The Box. Now, you tell me no GP is to be had. Dammit all to hell and back, people, when will the insanity end? But, obviously, you are right. I don't get out enough. See, this is why I have loyal minions. To mock me as I plan on doing something stupid.

      Delete
    2. http://ammoseek.com/

      Plenty of ammo out there.

      Gil

      Delete
    3. Ammo at a buck. No powder at 15cent a reload.

      Delete
  9. Oh, my I bet telling you that you WILL get the JITB tacos and the apocalypse will hit either as you are taking the first bite or when you get sick and tired of them (aka the 3rd bite) AND it will happen in such a way you are stuck eating only those tacos for the rest of you life, AND you will discover that they cause you tuns of health issues with only one bite (gas bloating nausea etc).....
    The dieties arent just ironic they are _perverse_ in their humor.

    =Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gods are a bit mean spirited. One must admire such.

      Delete
  10. Since we are at your site, I will try and make my case based on your precepts. Important because I don't think the book stands up to your ideals either.

    First, the heroes use semi-auto shotguns and M4 with abandon, that is when they are not playing around and using spears and knives to give the bad guys a chance. Since Adrian and his men walk off their military base, it is not particularly clear how much ammo they have, but 200 rounds is a pretty heavy load, and that is with only the standard three days rations. So they fit into the semi-auto magical never ending ammo crowd.

    At one point they sneak in a cut every other bad guys throat at night. ? This is one of those stories you here all the time, but with different groups pulling it off. Various Indians, Gurkhas, Moroccans, Viet Cong, etc. The funny one is the idea that the various British and French native troops would pull it off against the best army in the 20th century (the Germans). It is generally associated with groups that like knives or short sword. I have never seen a legitimate account where it atualy happened. Not even to the Italians, who seemed to specialize in sleeping on guard duty. This tactic is of course insane as part of a complex tactical operation.

    Finally, I don't think they kill the captive slaves. It is the wife and child of a "poacher" that I was thinking of. Mind you, the various groups of good guys have willfully ransacked various other peoples properties with zero qualms. So even killing the poacher, while understandable, is not a particularly moral act. The stated reason for killing the wife and child is that now that they have lost their protector, they are helpless. Which is off course an absurd statement. They may be helpless from being killed by the "good guys" but what their other options may be is completely unknown. What further makes this ridiculous is, as the scenario is stated, it is unclear that there aren't other people out in the bush (even if it is only to go to the bathroom) and are witnessing the events. The author also makes no statement as to trying to cover up any tracks the next day. This is one of the classic ways (by tracking) that groups gained retribution during the various Indian-Indian and Indian-Settlers bushwhacking wars.

    I should also note that other reviewers have taken pot-shots at the survival advice, but I just didn't feel like worrying about that too much. The bullets will kill you faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, remember you don't have to be so polite. If I'm full of crap tell me-just praise my hair first. But you are a nice guy and I do appreciate that. I only had one major hang-up with the series and that was his stupid "girl power-ACTIVATE" female combat roles. As bad as Stirling. And I got rather hot under the collar on that one. So I know how it is for a novel to piss you off with something stupid. However, to me a novel is just like a female body. If the parts generally match and are proportionate, I can easily overlook plenty of flaws. But if her personality sucks, there is no hope for her regardless of looks. If a book is enjoyable, I'll make exceptions. Also, you are a much harsher judge, your standards are higher for this genre, I think. Nothing wrong with that, you do a bang up job reviewing and I wouldn't want you to change anything. I don't know if the author was doing a "plan better than this and you won't do imoral things" lesson or if he was trying to feel his way along unfamiliar territory. One thinks his lack of anthropology and evolution understanding might partially explain the slip-ups.

      Delete
    2. " This is one of those stories you here all the time, but with different groups pulling it off. Various Indians, Gurkhas, Moroccans, Viet Cong, etc. The funny one is the idea that the various British and French native troops would pull it off against the best army in the 20th century (the Germans). It is generally associated with groups that like knives or short sword. I have never seen a legitimate account where it atualy happened. Not even to the Italians, who seemed to specialize in sleeping on guard duty. This tactic is of course insane as part of a complex tactical operation."

      You don't get out much do you? If you do go up against a Gurkha, have a friend send me a photo of you smiling.

      Delete