Monday, May 6, 2013

wally itch and k books


WALLY ITCH AND K BOOKS

There are three layers, or tiers, of irritation.  One, it makes your ass itch.  Two, it makes your ass bleed.  Three, it makes your ass leak.  Wal-Mart has been making my ass itch for many years.  If their layer of irritation was any worse I wouldn’t patronize them, but as long as they stay at the first tier I’ll put up with them.  Now, as long as I’ve been complaining about Wal-Mart making my ass itch, it was all just in a figurative manner.  Little did I know that one day they would, literally, make my ass itch.  I had my last bike for three and a half years, and about a year and a half ago I started getting a diaper rash on my ass.  About the same diameter of my bike seat.  Okay, that was embarrassing, but evidently one of the hazards, besides cars and dogs, of riding a bike.  But I kept it during the winter, and that didn’t make a heck of a lot of sense since I don’t sweat a lot below freezing.  Well, knock on wood, but magically a week or so after I got my new bike, my ass rash has disappeared.  It had to have been caused by the replacement seat I had gotten at Wal-Mart.  Everything else in their bike department is total crap, so it makes sense that those wily commie whores were using toxic materials on my seat ( one time, the wife got a bad case of red skin from dollar store flip-flops.  Took years to clear up ).  So, when I tell you that Wal-Mart makes my ass itch, you can take it both ways.

*

I had a pretty nice weekend, as both Thursday and Friday were half days at work.  I got a lot of reading done, most of a Cromwell book ( Agincourt ) and three K-books.  Now, K-books are usually reviewed over at my other blog but I was amazed at how all three of these were four star reads.  I had just deleted the last of my original 35 or so free post-apoc books ( the majority were slog through some of the beginning until I couldn’t read anymore, then delete ) and started on my cash money books.  And I was pretty impressed.  They weren’t perfect, you understand, but in comparison to most amateur efforts ( or at least, first time publishing efforts ) they were damn good.  My favorite was “TEOTWAWKI: Beacon’s Story” by David Craig.  The books description warns you straight away that the author was not in the slightest interested in character development but rather was just writing an action story.  Well, there certainly was no character background to speak of, but rather than just a shoot-em-up post-apocalyptic tale, you also got a lot of discussion of strategy and tactics, and that is why I rate this story so high.  Of course, there was the inevitable “keep shooting for suppressive fire even as I lecture you on the finite supply of ammunition”, but you can’t much be hating on that.  American writers can’t seem to get away from this.  English writers seem to instinctively embrace it, but us Yanks can’t shake the “petroleum uber alles” paradigm.  Even as the character keeps repeating that ammo is scarce, there continues to be imperial military tactics displayed. 

*

I mean, what part of “finite resources” is hard to understand?  What part of “no resupply” is confusing?  You can’t hose down the enemy, then suddenly stop when it suits you.  If you don’t adopt frugality immediately, and figure out the tactics necessary for it, you do run out of ammo sooner than later.  Of course, one character ( albeit a useless fighter ) had an Enfield, so my harshness on the ammo issue is tampered somewhat.  Next up, we have “Against The Grain” by Ian Daniels.  There was almost no action in this one.  The character spent nearly the whole story in introspective thought.  It was simply another way of telling the story, and I didn’t mind terribly, but be warned that if you don’t read the upcoming sequel and prequel you might leave feeling unsatisfied.  This one was embarrassingly semi-auto masturbatory, but at least the guns were mostly AK action and the M16 system got a few subtle kicks.  For that alone I can forgive any other faults. 

*

Last we have “Omega Zero” by Ryan Henry.  This one was the best as far as talented writing ( by a far shot ), but it ending a bit quickly for me, and had the fewest Teachable Moments of the three.  A former Marine ( and a flawed human being, not some Ooo-Rah snake eater type ) flees the cops when a narc tries to bust our character dealing dope ( hey, a boy got to eat ), heading into the Appalachian wilderness ( or maybe it was the other  mountain chain there.  The one with the national park along its length ).  When he comes out a week or two later ( there was wilderness survival techniques discussed, just not much in the way post-apoc ) most of the civilians have been wiped out from a plague.  But it ain’t all strolling along picking up canned food like the usual idiot stories.  There are private contractors trying to pick up “immunes” to deliver to the researchers, and they are even nastier than Blackwater troops in their methods used trying to get paid their bounty.  Along the way we get to visit the usual backwoods inbred extreme religion hillbilly ( one wonders if a Gott Damn Yankee wrote this, stereotyping in the Kunstler vein ), but I won’t ruin the ending for you.

*

Okay, next up.  I’ve halved the cost of the Bison Survival Blog CD.


I wasn’t selling any to speak of and I think the shipping costs added to it killed a lot of incentive.  You have a $10 CD, and it costs you $15.  So I’ve priced it at $5, and your cost should stay at just under $10.  My profit goes from $5 each to almost nothing, but I wasn’t making anything with zero sales.  ORDER NOW!!!!

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
*
My books available at
*
Kindle Survivalist Books
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

3 comments:

  1. guess you shouldn't use condoms from there either. ha ha ha ha ha the rat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do new computers still have CD ROM drives? Mine doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought an external drive for my netbook and never could get the twat to record. I've always hated the damn things.

      Delete