Monday, May 13, 2013

selling hopium in the schoolyard


PUSHING HOPIUM IN THE SCHOOLYARD

I don’t know if it is original to him, but Survival Acres guy uses a phrase I like enough to steal, “hopium”.  The addictive nature of hope ( hope+ opium ).  Of course he uses the term derisively, as I’ve used other terms to describe the idiocy of thinking all will always be well, even against all evidence.  I make fun of anyone who is an optimist.  I also make fun of anyone who is an evil pusher of hopium, going so far as to actively pursue young children and injured drivers on the way to the hospital.  Yet, as I was thinking on how to pump up this article to the required length, it was clear that not only do ALL of us push this drug, ALL of us are users.  It’s actually the perfect economic stimulus, as everyone is both trying to get a fix and everyone is trying to get money to get a fix.  The Survival Acres guy, as much as he complains of others who ignore the environmental peril and sell hopium to the masses, himself sells salvation in the form of freeze dried foods.  And sells salvation in the hope of farming, which, if his favored scenario Gore Warming is correct, is doomed even in greenhouses ( dollars to donuts his water table/snowpack is screwed or Texas size hail destroys the greenhouse ).  Which is no greater than my sin, beating people over the head with a doom-stick.

*

Those with a doomstick up their ass are still selling you hope.  Oh, if I only listen to this prophet, I can save myself in time.  What do I keep teaching?  It is SOOOO cheap to prep, so now everyone can do it.  And, if you simply listen to my rants on human nature and evolution, you will have the insight to stay one step ahead of everyone else.  In the end, I’m still pushing hopium.  Almost no one is exempt.  Oh, I hope I’ll get laid tonight ( why else put up with married life, a nagging bitch and screaming spawn?  If you ONLY wanted companionship you could have a pet ).  Oh, I hope my sports team will win ( just in over at Zero Hedge, in most states the highest paid state employee are football coaches ).  Oh, I hope the collapse won’t be as bad as I should know it will be ( if I merely buy semi-auto’s, I will be saved! ).  Oh, I know the cities are imploding and house values are torpedoed ( but…those happen in other cities or not until after I move to the country ).  What the hell is up with all this crap?  We know better, yet we hope anyway, then are inevitably disappointed ( oh, I hope the next chicken licker scum sucking dillhole won’t screw me over as bad as Payless Shoes when I buy another pair of boots.  Oh, I hope that the FORTH friggin time I buy a piece of crap inverter from Wal-Mart it will last more than a few dozen hours ).

*

I don’t think humans can actually live without constant hope.  One day, after enough synopses connected in our brain, and we became aware of the future, this must have been the only way to keep from going insane.  We have to worry about the future in order to prepare ( you can’t raise offspring for thirteen years without some sort of plan ), yet if we didn’t plan without hope, the future would obviously be so bleak we would fall down, curl up into a fetal position, start sobbing and drooling and be pretty useless ( I think certain mental illnesses such as depression are a block on this “hope against hope” normal state, and you can see how screwed up those nutjobs are ).  If you look at everything we do, including prep for an extinction level event ( where survival numbers are in the fractions of one percent, with several zero’s ), you can understand why we simply must delude ourselves.  Hell, just getting married and having kids, something both pessimists and optimists aspire to, you MUST delude yourself.  The odds are the spouse will leave you.  The odds used to be that half the kids would die before age two ( and will be again ).  The odds are good you will be alive when the overpopulation numbers clash with the resource base ( the Chinese peasants used to “look forward to” every other generation seeing a famine- a good reason that they now grow at any cost as long as it averts the historical norm ) and you will witness the families demise.

*

We ignore the odds, we embrace hope.  Even if we intellectually understand the probabilities, we cling to the possibilities.  All of us.  I’ll still hate the hopium dealers in the future, but we are all still guilty.  Some bastards are more guilty than others.  The mainstream media, by totally ignoring reality and preaching business as usual forever, are sell-out pricks.  The guy selling food insurance is quite benign in comparison.  When I tell you that your preps have increased yours odds of survival from zero to ten percent, that you might be one of 3% to live, I’m STILL selling hopium.  Because your odds are most likely worse ( remember, in the past the economy was farming and a good majority knew how to keep producing food locally after the government changed hands or imploded.  Today, even in the Third World where farming experience is mostly luxury items like coffee, 98% of us are urban or suburban dwellers are waiting for petroleum grown and delivered food from thousands of miles away ).  Hey, don’t hate me, cause I’m also inhaling that glass pipe myself.  I’m as embarrassed for myself as you are for me.

*

Two K-book reviews to go check out.

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
*
My books available at
*
Kindle Survivalist Books
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

 

6 comments:

  1. Once again you have done your job well. All is lost, we are all going to die, it is going to hurt. Time for an ice cold beer! the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rat, I'm coming around to your way of thinking, once held thirty years ago, that beer solves most problem. Unfortunately its implimintation is problamatic. I can only afford one boozer in the family and she ain't given up the title. But, just like big boobs, I still rembember the taste even if they/it never touch my lips again.

      Delete
  2. But look at the past.
    Hope has won out (at least for the winners)!
    Hope for a dominance has led to winning a kingdom out of a chaos of warring tribes.
    Hope for a new trade route for spices (so as to get richer) led to the discovery and colonization and riches of the new world.
    Hope for a new life got the more hopeful jews out of central europe before ww2.
    Hope for finding a way to prevent deaths from the pox led to vaccines.
    I could go on, and obviously hope works best with an energy rich fuel, which we are hoping to find a new variety of.
    But yes HOPE keeps us alive. Those without hope are darwinisticly removed from the gene pool.
    Unfortunately those with excess of hope are protected from the same due to the current richness of fuel that we are running our hope machines on. Those who can keep a halfway realistic view (practical optimists, and hopefull pessimists) are more likely to survive than those who refuse to see the truth or refuse to hold out a sliver of hope.
    Plus everything goes down better with teaspoon of sugar and pinch of hope.
    Remember dont lose hope, keep it locked away safe and give it out in carefully controlled doses.
    -Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The future is going to blow worse than the time Obammy got paid a Senitorship for licking monkey balls and mule member. But, I HOPE I won't be killed too quick. I HOPE I won't be tortured. I HOPE I won't be put in a stewpot. I'm full of HOPE for the future! :)

      Delete
  3. re: the Chinese peasants used to “look forward to” every other generation seeing a famine

    Where the hell did you get that?? Do you just make up any ole crap lie you feel like??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those sayings the Chinese have, you know, like "may you live in interesting times". I picked it up reading actual paper books rather than just trolling the Internet. I don't know the exact saying, the paraphrasing is mine.

      Delete