Monday, May 20, 2013

PEEno1


PEEno1

Remember us talking about my dad’s moniker in his early days ( and we are talking EARLY.  I think they were still lighting with kerosene then J ), Alibi Ike?  More excuses than Carter had liver pills ( of course, back then Carter was probably still learning how to molest goats in the peanut fields ).  I can come up with a million reasons why today’s article is going to suck.  Our excuse now ( me and the mouse in my pocket ) is that the wife and I really got into it this weekend and my mind has been on whether or not the bitch will be home after I get off work, instead of where it should be- saving the universe.  So, you get a weak and pathetic attempt at yet another booklet.  This time, a reworking of my Friday Fundamentals I did over at the Bison Blog.  Feel free to look them over:


Tell me if you think I should include any new categories as well as any improvements some of the old stuff can get.

*

Prepper Elementary Essentials ( PEE ) no1

Taste Fatigue

Every time you read about stocking food for the Apocalypse, the author usually makes two fundamental mistakes.  First, they have you prepping for a short time natural disaster ( when they should have you prepping for the worse case scenario which is an ELE [ extinction level event ] and needs many years of food rather than months ).  Secondly, they are all concerned about a nutritionally balanced diet as well as a varied diet so as not to introduce the dreaded Taste Fatigue.  You know, because we are all a bunch of little friggin girls who can’t stand the thought of duplicating our menu during a month.  As far as nutrition, that is the least of your problems.  Vitamin pills, sprouted wheat and perhaps wild plants can keep scurvy at bay.  If you stock beans along with your grains your protein needs will be met and if you have tubs of lard you will get enough fat ( despite that nasty bitch Michele and her fad “starve the children because the little Shittes are all obese white spawn” veggie diet, you NEED fat in your diet, especially in the winter without a functioning McDonalds and no central heat ).

*

In a world of energy decline, resource wars and climate change, your primary concern in an extended collapse is going to be calories.  Not if you’ve stocked enough cans of green beans ( cans are great for extended storage of protein, not so great for vitamins.  Vitamin content decreases over time, making canned vegetables a very expensive, very inefficient, very heavy store of nutrients ), or whether or not Little Jonny is going to complain about eating a bowl of gruel for the 103ed time in a row.  Of course you are going to run into taste fatigue.  DUH.  Pick a grain all the family likes and can eat ( most will go with wheat, a few will be allergic and must eat rice [ twice the price of wheat-surprise! It doesn’t grow all that many places here- and it is capable of far less variety] )( I dislike corn.  It is not very nutritious, no longer cheap after ethanol, cannot be stored from the feed store without additional drying to prevent mold and don’t taste great past a few dishes.  But that is just me ) and serve it every meal as a side dish.  If the little darlings are afraid of any form of flour outside Wonder Bread ( remember that defunct brand? ), gradually introduce whole wheat flour a bit at a time.  If my experience with my family members are any indication, in time they will prefer whole wheat over white.  Just don’t push too hard.  By the time the bankers have shoved the economy off the cliff and escaped to Shanghai with their trillions, your family will be quite used to their basic food and have experienced a variety of ways it has been served.

*

Now you’ve solved the “store what you eat, eat what you store” problem.  Personally, I can’t see how folks think rehydrated goulash is akin to what they regularly eat, but who am I to crap all over 99% of the survival sites ad revenue.  Everyone acts like taste fatigue will kill them.  So let me tell you about my personal experiences.  Yes, eating nothing but potatoes for a month of unemployment kept me off that food for the following five years.  And several weeks of nothing but rice kept that food off my plate even longer afterwards.  But with wheat, the western staff of life, I’ve managed to go near fifteen years of eating two meals a day of nothing but bread ( I hate cooking, as do the wives I manage to end up with ).  Granted, I get variety come dinner time.  But I’ve grown more tired of repetitious dinners ( same meat, same three carbs ) than I have of repetitious breakfasts or lunches ( bread ).  In short, wheat works for me repetitiously. Oh, if I survived the collapse, I imagine I’d never touch wheat again.  Even by using the small variety of other foods I have ( some beans, some rice, some canned meat ) only at dinner to replicate my current diet somewhat, yes, eventually having 90% of one’s diet the same food sucks.  But I think many authors never actually went long periods of time testing out their Read And Repeating advice on taste fatigue.   And historically, most peasants lived a life of taste fatigue.  As long as the food is familiar and practiced with daily, while you WILL get complaints you won’t get death by refusal to eat.  You just might feel like it.  Hey, sorry the collapse of western civilization and population die-off aren’t a nicer experience.  Winey bitches.  Most of your diet is corn, but since the factories put them into different shapes you think you are getting variety.

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
*
My books available at
*
Kindle Survivalist Books
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

 

22 comments:

  1. the alphabet title peeho1 thingy isn't cute, same goes for the other ones

    a new catergory could be about relationships, i would never follow you're adbice on anything but it may be good for a laugh, just like the rest of you're drivel

    a while back you wrote that being a wage slave was cool because you can pick up and leave at anytime,now you say different. follow you're own advice and move.

    one of you're minions might take you in. that would give you something to write about. the gay way of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My advice still stands. If I really thought moving was best all around I'd already have done it. But like the article said, farming is not the best way to go in all scenarios. Are you the same putz that owes me $20? Its been how many years?

      Delete
  2. Getting kind of late to be trading in bed warmers ain't it ? Duck Valley is just up the road from ya, find a nice plump native up there...
    Stay away from the crack whores in Helco tho...
    Damn ask about ur ol lady an now you're having troubles, Hope I didn't instigate anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're good. Since she was drunk and stupid, she had a great time, so it was basically MY problem not hers. Certainly don't want to trade UNLESS I'm offered a busomy wench who owns two H&K 91's ( domestic clones acceptable ) and a good amount of ammo. You can step up ladies, the wife doesn't read the e-mail at work.

      Delete
  3. Even when you think you are doing a poor job you hit the nail on the head.
    You are right that taste fatigue is much less a killer (and easier to deal with) than starvation and malnutrition.
    One guy has been eating mostly just vitamins for YEARS now on an _extremely_ limited calorie and variety diet, and he is still healthy enough to run a marathon. (search extreme limited calorie long term diets).
    Taste variety is easily added with herbs, spices, salts, fats, and sugars and different ways of preparing basic staples.
    Eat plain oatmeal for breakfast, savory oatmeal for lunch, and fried oatmeal for dinner and you will feel that you had three different types of meals.
    Get the calories FIRST, the NUTRTION second, and the taste variety can follow with time (herbs, spices and fats can all be stored seperately and for a long time).
    Protein from beans.
    It is only the manufactured and perishable or imported food that is expensive. So after you get the other stuff down, start sprouts and a garden.
    Water (rainfall collection, rivers, wells, and water conservation)
    Food (store the staples Grain/starch first, beans second, nutrition third, and taste last)
    No one should _have to_ die during the coming die-off IF THEY get ready now, before the die-off hits.
    A million days multivitamins are next on my TEOTWAWKI shopping list following another firearm (as I dont have a long arm and my land has the ability to see oncomers from at least a mile and a half away I am thinking a good scoped 'deer hunting' rifle or three, bolt pump or lever action.).

    -Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, you should have wrote the article. Said it much better.

      Delete
  4. info on many grains
    http://www.aaoobfoods.com/graininfo.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for those poor bastards that are alergic to wheat.

      Delete
    2. Lentils are very high in protein, and inexpensive to boot.

      A good item to add to your food stores.

      Delete
    3. How much? I know pintos are now an insane $1 a pound in bulk.

      Delete
    4. Didn't research it thoroughly Jim, but it looks like you can expect to pay around a buck a pound in bulk?

      Delete
    5. Getting harder to prep cheaply. Oh, but don't worry. Take all the time you need. There'd never be SHORTAGES or price hikes. We've never seen that before, right?

      Delete
  5. Do you have ANY experience with eating the soy based meat substitutes?

    I've eaten a number of varieties and think they're a crucial additional to a rice/beans/wheat base. Far as I'm concerned, it makes a world of difference come dinner time.

    Trash them if you like, your provincial attitude merely pushes you further into the camp of extremists. Canned freeze dried meat substitutes will keep for 15 years & are compact and light weight. They don't need refrigeration once opened.

    If you can't afford them then that's YOUR problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had mostly soy based hamburger, both from Mom The Wanna-be Vegitarian and the wonderful food from the Army. Not bad, will do in a pinch. But let's ask ourselves, oh Dittohead "the poor are that way because they want to be even in this economy and if a Republican got elected Peak Oil would dissapear", do I want to stockpile fake meat at $30 a can that will FUCK UP MY SYSTEM due to genetically modified beans, or do I want to get my protein a more natural way?

      Delete
  6. Jim as a southerner one way to spice up a diet is with gravys. salsa. picante.chow chow relishs pickles sauses,tabasco,chutneys,.Grandma worked hard putting up jars of these and other treats to make the staples taste differant and better.Even wheat bread with applebutter can be a treat.A few spices and idiot proof greens goes a long way to,A holiday table down here has olives pickles corn chow chow peach perserves pickled peachesfried apple pies.Wheat beans and rice with tasty tid bits is the key!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen cooking herb kits for sale at Amazon at a reasonable price. Most seem to be very easy to grow, and are a simple way to spice up your bland food preps. Just buy some of the spices that will not be as easy to procure in the wild, such as bulk sacks of salt and pepper (You can plant a pepper tree and take care of that easy enough, climate permitting) and you're good to go.

      They also sell medicinal herbal kits. Probably a good idea to have one of these as well. Not the same as prescription strength pharmaceuticals, but better than nothing.

      Delete
    2. New post apoc business op: Herb Bitch ( HB ). Theres were a greenhouse might pay for itself.

      Delete
  7. First off, thanks for the Friday links. Good stuff that's organized (WTH?). Please bring back our Jim, you body-snatching Alien, you!

    I'm planning on raised cinder block beds and doing the buried wood thing underneath. All that afore mentioned goodness and with luck, anti-gopher qualities. Great minds and all that...

    I've read somewhere that 90% of corn grown in the US is GMO. Whilst having a third arm growing out of my body would be handy in unjamming my plastic carbine, I tend to stay away from it. The French eat snails but not GMO corn? Think I'll also pass.

    For flavoring bland stuff; salt, pepper,(canned) butter, spices, etc. You can buy decent hot sauces and spices at the dollar stores.

    During the week, I usually eat rice and beans, mashed potatoes, and pasta. Each dish is varied from one another just enough to combat the blahhs.

    You sold that Texas lot, yet?

    Gil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I organized everything, I couldn't sell my regular "poor overworked starving artist" thing. Whats up, are you going on a land buying spree? :) Still have the TX lot. Don't know why.

      Delete
  8. No problem, Jim. On a "bad" day, you're still worth reading.

    "And historically, most peasants lived a life of taste fatigue."

    George Orwell made a similar point in (I think), "Keep the Aspidistra Flying". The main character thought - something to the effect - that Londoners couldn't really appreciate a Spring, compared to Londoners in the Middle Ages...because folks then had just come of months of eating bread and gruel during Winter.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where our worst is still good enough! A catchy business slogan! Or, Where our worst is still better than your best! Hmmm. Not as catchy, just more accurate.

      Delete