Thursday, May 9, 2013

pack up and show up


PACK UP AND SHOW UP

A typical response to buying or living on junk land is, “I don’t just want to pack up and show up there”.  We all have different luck when moving.  Handmaiden Of Lucifer would carefully research and plan ( pre-Internet days ), we’d move and everyone from the school she was attending to the apartment we showed up at would charge full speed ahead in screwing us over ( if must have been her charming personality ).  Me, I’d get tired of a job or break up with a girlfriend and not wish to ever see her befouled face ever again and decide, on a whim, just to pack up my two duffel bags and hit the Greyhound station for whichever destination suited my fancy at the time.  And it always worked out great, from adequate shelter cheap to decent jobs ( decent being NOT a factory where I could lose a limb from a Stephen King Mangler machine ).  Of course, my expectations have always been pretty low, so that helps.  I realize my experiences in moving ( and I’ve moved a lot ) may not mirror yours.  You might have been rooted in one or two places your whole life and the prospect fills you with so many worries and questions that you’d rather skip the whole thing if possible.  Look, I’ll make it easy for you.  Every place is the same.  All people are jerks.  Every place has weather extremes ( okay, not Hawaii.  But that isn’t an option for you anyway ).  Every locale is full of women who were brought up Barbie Princess special and are twats.  Every job everywhere has idiot bosses.  You are just changing the window scenery.  That’s it.

*

No place has economic security anymore.  Even North Dakota ( the frack boom is short lived.  I’d put money on it ).  And even Elko.  All three mines reported loses last quarter.  Not last week, after the gold price went from 1700 to 1200 ( or whatever it was ), but for the last three months.  I don’t know what is going on, there is speculation that BLM has stopped issuing drilling permits in their version of playing poor as their budgets took a huge whopping soul crushing 2% cut ( oh, we can’t afford to pay clerks to process the paperwork.  But I’ll bet your jack booted SWAT team humps kept getting their million rounds of ammo, right?  Remember, my local LEO brothers, you are going to be the cannon fodder in any uprising, the feds will step back and wait, then step over your stiffing corpse to take over the depopulated wasteland ).  But people are already being laid off.  I don’t know if the local economy will crash, but I’d say this could be the sooner than later I was worried about.  And don’t expect any government to be much better than other places.  Oh, there is a huge difference between New York City’s Time Magazines Giant Twat Of The Year Award Blooming Idiot Bloomberg and his nanny state dictatorship and some place, anyplace, else.  But East and Wrong Coast states aside, any place you pick to move is going to have its irritations. 

*

No matter what, wherever you move to will have economic and perverse law surprises for you.  Don’t sweat it too much.  You do your search at City-Data to make sure your destination isn’t too bad ( I wanted to move to north Texas where there was land right on the Pecos  river, cheap.  But, the Mexican population was 80% of the total.  This white boy wouldn’t have gotten a job, even if there had been one.  Tribal nepotism, don’t you know ), refer to Boston T Party and his big Gun Bible for gun laws in that state, make your choice and gather your meager resources.  And, simply move.  You merely need to prepare to go camping.  Think of your move as a drive several states away to go on a hunting trip, if it makes preparing go any easier.  Everyone has gone camping, pretty near.  If you haven’t, talk to some buddies into taking you on a simple nearby weekend trip.  Off grid, none of that pussy RV stuff ( moving out in an RV makes things easy and comfortable, but you need to know the roughing it way to take into account mechanical failures.  Plus, you want to build properly from wood instead of living in your steel box-encasing the RV in wood and fiberglass insulation is fine, but don’t be an idiot like me and winter over in a trailer ). 

*

Everyone’s situation is going to be different.  Some need a job, others have a pension or savings.  But you need to pack up and just show up, and soon.  You need time to assimilate into a new location, and every month in your present one costs you money in rent.  And you know the economy is simply going to get worse.  That is guaranteed.  What are you waiting for?  I can’t give you an engraved invitation, as this is an electronic page.  Moving is so butt simple, even I could do it.  I had the trailer, but it wasn’t much more than a rigid tent without enough water, the wrong kind of light bulbs that drained the batteries and dust still blowing in.  I met one former reader up here, while I was in the Laundromat of all places-she recognized me from my photo- and she had quite the tale.  I had inspired her and the family unit ( or frightened, perhaps, along with other events ) to move up here from a nasty  southern megopolis.  They pitched several tents on raw off grid land, which promptly were torn apart by the winds here and were only useable with liberal amounts of Gorilla Tape, and went about building an underground dwelling.  While raising kids.  It merely takes the resolve, and some camping gear.  Really, there ain’t much of anything scary about the move.  Small children have survived the experience.

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
*
My books available at
*
Kindle Survivalist Books
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

10 comments:

  1. Nightshift here......Good post Jimbo! I am working on downsizing in place. Not as remote as you but I am 14 miles from the nearest mom and pop store. Selling off 10 acres to my buddy cut my debt in half. Toying with selling some more or building my cabin and selling this piece with the singlewide. Could get down to just owing what it cost to build an inexpensive cabin. Gotta meet code of 800 foot.

    I am not happy about my pending divorce but I will survive. Money will be tight because of her lost income and child support will take $2,000 out of budget but I will recoup half that on her shoe purchases. LOL

    I will have more time for my 3rd job, grass cutting. Don't laugh, $25 an hour counting driving time is my earnings. I average about $175 a week for 7 hours during the peak. May pick up a few more yards if I can manage. I also get to write off my power toys and mileage which is substantial. That and my other job and a half should keep me. I figure between all of them something will survive the collapse.... hopefully. In the mean time though I am going to bust my ass to make money while I can.

    Toyed with trying to trade down my truck but I need it for my mowing and projects. I may have to breakdown and get a motorcycle for commuting since everything is so far. The remote living trade off. Not a high dollar Harley, a cheap, used, smaller bike. Insurance is $10 month. Stupid gas mileage. If things collapse I can still make it to town on the occasional $15 a gallon gas.

    This stuff may not sound like prepping to some but to survive the collapse you have to be able to afford your bills. Easier to cutback than get a raise these days.

    Later Jim,

    Jealous of the hair, Bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surviving the economic collapse is the number one priority now, and very few preppers will try to do that. Your path sounds rightous even if your hair is a disgrace.

      Delete
  2. Man what the fuck you even bitchin about dogg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was bitching? I thought this post was rather mellow. And I thought it was spelled "dawg"? Although I'm a bit rusty on my ghetto venecular. Are they still calling for the brothers to smite Whitey and cops?

      Delete
  3. What the hell Jim! You been taking vitamins or what. This is the smartest post you have written in awhile. Good old common frigging sense. You write better when you are disgusted. Good frigging job. the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wife came back from her two week vacation so I'm getting regular loving. My disposition drastically improves. Less blood flows to the Little Brain, leaving some to think with.

      Delete
  4. What about the former reader? How long ago? Which subdivision is their junk land in?
    And Wally World is still hiring, RIGHT?!!!? :p

    Elko slowing down will be good. Get rid of the extra people.

    Gil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where they live, other than northeast of town. Their OpSec is much better than mine. I haven't been in the front of our Wally in two months, although they no longer have the outside banner up. I want A LOT less people living here, the stupid pricks. MOVE OUT NOW!!!!

      Delete
    2. Probably Meadow Valley Ranches #4. OpSec? I'm too poor to worry about OpSec. :)

      Lots of crabbing in the local on-line paper about all these extra people living in Elko.

      Gil

      Delete
  5. Crash! Crash! Crash! All these extra new arrivals are rude Cali types. Their only purpose here is to irritate me. Hoping for a mining crash!

    ReplyDelete