Friday, May 24, 2013

food bank surplus


FOOD BANK SURPLUS

As I’ve said often ( but then, I say a lot of stuff often ), our food bank locally is one of the few blessed.  As most across the country are faced with bare shelves and shrinking budgets, ours is groaning under the weight of many and varied kinds of slop ( I’m sure our budget don’t look great, but that’s above my pay grade ).  Yesterday was a slow donation pick-up day and I got 1300 pounds of food ( Monday, surely a record, I picked up 4700.  Our secret is, it’s all perishable ).  Now, I know this can’t last.  We have an overabundance of grocery stores, a currently “good” economy ( was great, soon to be utter crap if the mines continue the barely glimpsed decline ) and a small town attitude ( the regular po folk are generous as usual, the rich twats are currently generous out of guilt ).  If any of this changes, our donations will wither.  I’m not necessarily opposed to this, as I’m killing myself here, but I also understand Job Security is never easy ( nor necessarily ever compensated, but that is another story ). 

*

When someone comes in for a food box, I try to give them what I would myself want.  I’ve been in their situation before.  I could give them their six thousand calories ( three days worth of food- ours are emergency boxes only as Food Stamps are long term.  No organization privately could feed this many people on a regular basis.  Although, they can eat at our soup kitchen which is one meal a day, nearly 2k calories in itself.  Those with the money need only pay $2.  I don’t know if we could scale that up if working folks started frequenting it, but I doubt it ) in compact form, a jar of peanut butter and a can of stew and chili with three loaves of bread would about cover it.  But I try to give them complete meals without too much processed crap.  Raw meat, rice, that kind of thing.  Wholesome meals, and filling, with sweets and comfort food as extra calories rather than the bulk of calories.  I figure with a few pounds of meat and some flour and rice, a big family can eat pretty good.  Well, as we all know, most people wouldn’t be able to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.  Welcome to the end result of public education and subsidized ghetto breeding.  I understand when they don’t know what to do with a bag of flour.  What gets me is when they don’t want it.

*

Folks are returning food to me all the time.  Oh, I already have some of these.  Seniors are always giving me back FedGov food ( and they are the ones screaming the loudest for bennies ).  A family of four returns a big bag of flour to me.  They already have one.  So friggin what?!  Are you here because you ran out of food?  What if it happens again?  You dumbass!  That’s a few extra days food, if you ever need it.  And these ain’t backwoods inbred hillbillies, just regular people from working poor families.  But dumber than a box of rocks.  The food fairy will never let them go hungry, I guess.

END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*








Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )







*

If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:


*

My books available at


*

Kindle Survivalist Books


*

By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

 

8 comments:

  1. Lord Bison of the Great Basin and Magnificent Coiffure King;

    Your post today really chaps my rear, not your writing mind you, but the fact that people refuse wholesome food in the first place. How can anyone refuse a bag of flour? GP Flour is one of the most versatile food items ever created by the hand of man; Not only can it be used the foundation of all baked goods, but can be used as the feedstock for a variety quick food products, such as your beloved gravy. Only fools and people with complete organic purity would refuse GP flour. During the collapse, these pathetic persons will kill for that flour, especially after having to grind the whole grain seven times, into the consistency of GP flour. Keep keeping it real James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To this day I berate myself for not buying oodles and gobs of flour when it was still 99 cents a bag. I knew oil would go up, Peak Oil, and I knew the ethanol use would put upwards pressure on all food, yet did nothing. Well, I SHOULD have known. I think I kind of missed that one. Mostly, I love myself. Sometimes I wonder how I keep breathing. Peace!

      Delete
    2. Speaking of Peak Oil, which you have mentioned a bazillion times since you started posting, where did you get your information from? It seems legit, but there are also people spewing off seemingly legit cases for zombies and how eating nothing but beans is good for you. Can you tell me where you got the raw data for this?

      Delete
    3. Well, come on! Peak Oil is nothing more than the obvious resource depletion. Nothing at all like justifying zombies. Go to my links at the end of the article, "Links to others", go to American Energy Crisis blog, and from there use his Other Site links and you can read for days on PO. I got my info from dozens of books, prior to much web site research. Off hand, I'm not sure which to recommend. Do the web searches. If you still want hard copy recommendations get back with me and I'll think on it some more.

      Delete
  2. I store flour in my cool root cellar. I try to rotate through it every 7 years. Old flour doesn't work as good as fresher for some reason.

    I try not to use it in bread because it taste flat. But it's fine for gravy, cookies, etc.

    Idaho homesteader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, from thems thats done. Thanks IH. You are the old pro around here I think.

      Delete
  3. Some free K-books!!!

    JEALOUSY SURVIVAL GUIDE!!
    Survival Tips for the Suddenly Single!!
    Mormon Mission Prep: A Practical Guide to Spiritual and Physical Preparation!!
    End of the World Survival Guide : It's Coming... Are You Ready?!!
    Disaster Preparedness: Emergency Survival!!
    Liberty's Hammer (Anvil of Freedom){actually looks good. Free Texas story}

    Always glad to be helpful(& an ass)!!
    Gil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Hammer. Not sure about the others. Thanks!

      Delete