Friday, May 17, 2013

bank credit, moving, flour


BANK CREDIT, MOVING, FLOUR

Well, I started “Cannibal Reign” last night.  I read half that bastard and am craving more.  The gentleman is a talented author.  Four stars for a page turning well-made story, but beware that this is at the end of the day merely a Yuppie Scum Survival tale with a smidge of zombie-like background for flavor.  Take away expensive retreats, AR semi-auto fun and MRE’s and you got dick all for a prepping story.  The reason I bring it up, once again and not for the last time, is to reintroduce the concept of debt in your preps.  The story characters, five retired Green Weenies, all got second mortgages on their houses and maxed out their credit cards to buy a surplus missile silo and stockpile it.  Not that that is inconceivable.  Some silos have gone for far south of a million, being at times cheaper than a McMansion in most parts of this great land, The United Bankers States Of North America.  What is inconceivable ( picture the short fat guy in The Princess Bride screeching the word along with spittle to get the full flavor of my usage here ) is that they all got credit to do so.  I understand the author departed for countries south long ago to escape our current Gulag/Escape From New York society, and bully for him ( despite my dislike for the idea, it of course has its merits as well as its problems ) but I think he kind of forgot the news of the current credit crunch.

*

Today, the banks that matter, those closely affiliated with the central bank ( hint: probably NOT your local savings and loan ), are all getting oodles and gobs of money from that institution ( money for free, interest from the taxpayers ).  This is measured in the hundreds of billions of dollars if not trillions.  It is easy, free and guaranteed until the whole economy falls off its wheels and the bankers move their area of operations overseas just as they did in WWI ( assuming civilization itself survives, which I personally doubt but the bankers don’t acknowledge ).  What they don’t want and certainly don’t need is any high maintenance civilians not affiliated with an institution bothering them with loans.  Why micromanage a few hundred thousand bucks at a time when there are billions available from New York or Washington DC?   I think what all of us missed, to include myself, about the robo-signing scandal is not that the banks are cheating asswhores who defraud everyone ( well, friggin DUH! ) but that they have also downsized their personnel to the point where there is no one left to help customers.  They have automated, which leaves no room for individuals and their personal problems ( ah, the world is ending, how sad.  Now shut up, go to a pawn shop and leave us alone to make money the easier way ).  Do NOT plan on credit at the last minute for preps.  The bankers deserve credit, cause they ain’t giving you any.

*

I put the K-book “One Acre Homestead” by Sara McDonald on my wish list as it looks fascinating ( one acre in the southeast, permaculture and poultry providing most of their food ).  Not that I’ll ever move there.  As much as I loved the South, and wish I’d stayed, and as much as I’d love to produce my own food, the math doesn’t add up for me.  If I moved everything there in a U-Haul it would easily be $3k for a rental and gas.  If I left everything and drove there ( after getting the Hippy Bread Van operational again ) I could do it on $700, but I’d make up the difference buying another home and fixing the van and replacing the items I left.  Assuming I even could save $3k ( my writing income was reduced by my decision to relax my pace, and is half what I used to pay off the land and build the pit with ).  I’d give up my job, which probably wouldn’t be replaced.  I’d have to liquidate to afford the move ( and that doesn’t even take into account the land cost ).  And you can’t say for certain that a farming future is all that secure ( perfect for economic collapse-assuming the land is free and clear- not so perfect for civilization collapse due to population ).  It is cheaper just to keep buying more wheat.  All this in way of anyone questioning why I stay here in the high cold desert.

*

And speaking of wheat, I was once again pondering its purchase.  As you know, I’m buying as much as I can while it last as the drought seems to be continuing.  I’ve rented a car for today for the monthly town visit so this is pertinent.  I can buy a hundred pounds of wheat for $30 and three buckets ( 33 lbs each ) for $14, so my total cost is $44 a hundred pounds ( WAY more than the pre-Y2K days.  But then, gold was $300 and oil was $25 back then ).  I thought about buying white flour instead of kernels, to save a smidge of money.  I have enough wheat I can buy flour and use it to bake with the whole wheat flour.  Flour is about $36 a hundred pounds, but you only need to spend $5 for a container.  Granted, not as good of a container, but adequate in my neck of the woods where the cold kills off the bugs.  The 18 gallon grey totes from China Mart hold a hundred pounds ( I’ve successfully put kernel bags unopened for long periods of time in these totes, just FYI ). You really can’t stack them, so don’t try.  Anyway, this gives you a hundred pounds stored for $41.  Not a great enough savings to put up with a inferior plastic and inferior food, but it is an option if you have no feed store nearby, are scrimping for every penny, your family won’t eat whole wheat or you are buying so much ( in tons rather than 100’s of pounds ) every $3 savings per hundred adds up.

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $5 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
*
My books available at
*
Kindle Survivalist Books
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

 

17 comments:

  1. Told ya Cannibal Reign was decent stuff. You forget though that retired military have real good credit ratings with that assured monthly government monies coming in. The story is damn near believable ain't it ? It does leave you with wanting more in the end tho. Bet there will be a sequel...
    Sometimes I think about moving back out there...then winter comes again and sanity kicks in lol
    Had a thought the other day thinking about you, what the hell does your woman do with herself on a daily basis to occupy her time ? No TV ta speak of and the twinkie supply can't be that large. Why ain't she expanding and digging your pit of doom future space ? Mine would... Of course then too, I have a great wife !
    Take care o wise one of the great white norte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only comeback would be, even great credit might not be enough these days, depending on the banks mood. Like the car commercials say for the lease, "those with EXCEPTIONAL credit qualify". The wife was basically a nose picker when I met her ( sat around doing not much of anything ). No differant now. I try to keep her provided with puzzle books, jigsaw puzzles, yarn, electricity for the TV, etc. She's too skinny and weak with her heart so I don't expect much out of bed. Be cool, brother.

      Delete
    2. Always cool Bro...
      Just couldn't imagine her staring at the dirt walls all day!
      Sounds like she does have hobbies tho, mine spends what little break time she allows herself, playing those asinine video games on the net ie: Farmville and that sort of thing, jeez Louise I'd rather just shoot myself than do that kind of brain dead shit. Way too many books to read and blogs to follow...That and always got sixteen stinking projects going. Never bored tho.
      Till we hear from ya Monday, stay safe.

      Delete
  2. Here is the swan song of the USA in pictures for you or any of your readers who havent seen it (even if you dont approve this post you should check it out. Short and sweet 10 nails in the economic coffin of the country. Politics cant fix most of them either.

    http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/10-amazing-charts-that-demonstrate-the-slow-agonizing-death-of-the-american-worker/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PlanPrepareSurvive+%28%40TheSurvivalistBlog.net%29

    Since food allergies in the family prevent usage of wheat we are getting rice (mostly white) corn (and lime to process it with) and many seeds for sprouting. It leaves us wanting on the 7 years minumum I would like to see but until we finish building the G-POD (Grey Pit Of Doom) of our own, there is no point to trying to collect more.
    The bad thing about this low pop area is that cheap labour is not convient. Machines with expensive fuel can be rented, but the transport time is significant for most too.
    Sigh.
    At least we found a great deal on canning jars - free a pantry full of mostly good shape jars lids and canning supplies- held until we want to pick them up!
    Truely Small communities do tend to help those they decide arent A-hole californians.

    -Grey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved living in small towns. Sure, they all know your business. And also look after you.

      Delete
  3. I was budgeting 2(ish)K for the move. Raised to 3K.

    You can grow stuff in the high desert, just need water. Hell, some of the lawns in town has dandelions growing last May. Plus with global weather change, it's supposed to get warmer up there.

    You can grow more in the south but there are more bugs and such. Basicly a wash. But you thin-blooded cali-types like all this warmth we got down here.

    Wanna switch locations? :p

    Gil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say yes, but then my luck the collapse happens and all those Gott Damn Yankee bastards immigrate there also. Oh, wait. They already did. Coastal Florida, more retired New Yorkers than Crackers. Oh, check out over at Survival Acres. An article on burying wood debry to ariate dead soil. Just the ticket for here.

      Delete
  4. Jim One Acre Homestead” by Sara McDonald was more of a fluff piece than i like.It is buy swamp land ,on a dry patch find a free mobile home redo it, plant trees and make a few permenant raised beds life is good .Was ok for free not worth 299.You cover more in 1 post than this book did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HMMM. I might not get it then. OK, you convinced me, I'll go delete it from my wish list now. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Ah! "The Princess Bride". What a silly, charming film that was!
    Who of us doesn't hope to be able to say,

    "We are men of action. Lies do not become us."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to get a copy of that. Actually, I might have it- I'll have to check. I've started trash picking at work for VHS tapes. A used player is $10. Ah, consumer tech obsellescence.

      Delete
  6. Jim,

    I'm not a bread baker, so I'm wondering what recipe you'll be using when the time comes to turn your wheat into bread. Don't you need yeast and some type of oil? I guess just water, salt and some type of oil would make a decent flat bread or like the ol' mountain men...wrap it around a stick and cook over an open fire. Still oil goes rancid and yeast dies, so your input would be valuable. Thanks for the book review...I'm in need of a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just flour and water on a red hot skillet. After flat bread is done, butter. If none available, brushed with oil or lard and salt ( and pepper if available ). I need to work on getting a solar oven also. Not as good of bread, but to conserve fuel.

      Delete
  7. The banks yank your credit if you all the sudden go crazy on it, and they talk to each other. Your credit line isn't what you think it is.

    The key in their case is that they had inside info on when it would occur. If you had an exact date, it would make every preppers preps about 1000-fold easier. Slow Apocalypse had the same idea, but in that case it was a normal person in Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my point "isn't what you think it is". Perhaps if you liquidated rather than ran up credit. Or a combo of the two. I just hate to think anyone is planning on credit binging as a strategy.

      Delete
  8. Greetings Lord Bison! Long may your locks shine. If you want to store flour, the LDS cannery now sells white flour in gallon cans with oxygen absorbers. If you need to store metal cans in a damp area you can dip them in melted parafin or WD 40. White flour loses nutritional value very rapidly so rotate your stock and take a daily multivitamin or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be storing flour just for calories. Mix it with half whole wheat for the nutrition. I have a bit, not a regular item I store.

      Delete