Tuesday, April 30, 2013

solo surviving


SOLO SURVIVING
There’s a new k-book review today.

*

Okay, there you are living in the city because that is where you have a job.  You finally got around to buying a piece of junk land after listening to me harp on it for ten years and frankly, you feel like a turd for not having done it sooner and you want to reach the next tier of Loyal Minion status, up from the low of “unworthy”.  You aren’t going to go live on it because frankly, you understand that while I am 100% convinced the end is nigh, you have some doubts.  You know you can keep your job in the city, but if you give it up you will probably remain unemployed close to forever.  So, the lesser of evils is to plan on bugging out come the time.  You understand that gasoline inventories will be wiped out in hours, the highways will be parking lots within minutes ( the system being designed for far less population way back in the day ) and even if a miracle happens and you could get there with enough fuel, the TSA and their jack booted thugs will not allow you to pass unmolested.  You’ve got two weeks of freeze dried foods or MRE’s or pemmican ( I’d go with that one if I were you, but the former two are good for bug-out’s if not much else ) and are going to bike around all obstacles (  not a perfect plan, but better than vehicular ).

*

So the last thing you want to happen is that once you get to your retreat is for crack head redneck hooligans to have vandalized your home ( remember the origins of “vandalize”? ).  Now, if you are like most of us, you are a solo survivalist. Almost any other hobbyist ( survivalism is a hobby, until you need it ) has a lot of company.  Hell, there is probably more stamp collectors around than survivalists.  Survivalists have pretty much got two choices.  One is to buy all the supplies for a buddy or friend, because the retard isn’t going to share your paranoia.  Two, you go it alone.  I’d wager that due to financial restraints, most of you go it alone ( you might have a wife, but you are still alone since the bitch is blind and spends all your ammo money on her shoes.  But as long as she has a nice rack, you put up with it ).  Having a network is yet another one of those things that is swell and nice and perfect in theory, and in practice hardly ever happens.  It would be nice to have a survivalist buddy that would live at the retreat, but realistically for most of us it simply ain’t gonna happen.  Because of the small number of survivalists, 90% of them- or higher- are Gott Damn Yuppie Survivalist Scum.  And since you are one of The Chosen, frugal survivalists, there is no way you are going to get anyone, even a wanna-be survivalist to live off grid, off highway, off shopping.

*

To afford junk land, it has to be a long way from town and a long way from grid power.  And most likely, it is a long way from employment.  No one is going to live there.  So the place, while too far away from civilization to be inhabited pre-collapse, somehow seems to be close enough for scumbags and anal lickers to be attracted to it and for vandalism to take place.  It isn’t just because people are asswhores that they destroy your crap.  They are.  Without fear of punishment, everyone behaves badly.  I think the biggest factor is simply that folks get bored, and they entertain themselves by destruction.  I know a great deal of thought has gone into trying to convince the population that our age is one of leisure and all ages long past were full of brutal toil, but I’d wager even farmer peasants had a lot of down time and boredom has been with us always ( it sure would explain alcoholism ).  Your retreat will be screwed with.  And even a concrete bunker can be ruined with enough time and determination.  If you don’t have a caretaker, I’d recommend total submersion of all possessions, even your cabin.  Have one hovel to live in and another to stash enough material that come the time, you can expand the first to make it livable ( then keep the second as a hide ).

*

Think of your shelter as a dug-out, but without the above ground door and window.  You actually want to bury the trapdoor that is the entrance.  You don’t need much, about an eight by twelve- enough for a bed and a cooking stove.  Actually, a six by six could work if you dug deep enough and had a sleeping loft over your work area.  Dig your hole ( and, as you discover how hard it is to dig, you will know why I recommend such a small area ), cover with a stout roof, cover in layers of plastic and cover back up.  When you get there, you uncover the place and install a window.  Or, you enlarge with an above ground room over the underground sleep area.  This way, you merely need to stash a window, tar paper and plastic and perhaps a saw and ax.  I’d have two pits, spread apart and with separated supplies ( don’t put all your eggs in one basket ).  It’s far from perfect, but far better than a stand alone structure that begs for destruction.  We’ve talked about bug out locations before, with a coffin sized buried sleeping space.  That was merely as a back-up.  This is an actually small cabin you can live in full time, whereas before it was just for emergencies.  You want big enough to avoid claustrophobia, but small enough to be affordable and buildable.  And, as always, bury wheat buckets in multiple locations for back-ups to your back-up. 

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
*
My books available at
*
Kindle Survivalist Books
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

16 comments:

  1. Jim: I been following your advise for a long time. Got a van as a back up, got a 15 ft. trailer and got me a fifth wheel (an extra) as a BOL, got a motorcycle as a BOV to reach my cabin. all of this because I didn't trusted my girlfriend. (BTW. My hair is not as good as yours, FLIES dont follow me. maybe someday I will have it just like ur's.) Its been seven years since I buried two five gallon buckets with supplies. Everything in them is vaccum packed and I check the place every six to twelve months and still undisturb'd of course is hard to reach and very possible undetected.... in case of any eventuality that requires me to BUG OUT, I will definitely will do it SOLO. Very likely will abandon the cabin and all vehicles IF NEED TO. I have just enough for GETTING BY. Getting by is not enough but is better than nothing. Its been a lot of work but it was woth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loved! I'll bet you sleep good at night.

      Delete
  2. My plan for the downfall of civilization is to get a lawn chair, A ice chest full of cold beer, a fifth or two of good whiskey, My shotgun and ammo can of shells sit on my front porch and shoot any bastard that interferes with me drinking my beer. Then I guess I will get overrun by the zombie hordes and die a horrible death. I already got the ice chest and the lawn chair and the shotgun and ammo can so I am damn near ready. Would have got back to you sooner but I was busy picking shit balls off my ass crack hairs and other important matters. Your friend, the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stock the beer NOW, then rotate for freshness. You might not be able to go shopping last minute.

      Delete
  3. Just read "Relocate! 25 Great Bugout communities" by Dave Stebbins. It's free today at Amazon.

    All the 25 towns are 5,000 or smaller. Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas. None really jump out. Maybe Moscow, Idaho...

    The author's criteria on possible towns is the good part of the book. He goes down the usual prepper dream-sheet list of good & bad attributes with the locations of towns, but he puts a bit of a twist on some of them.

    For instance, he mentions the usual bad stuff about towns next to an interstate but says that living next to an interstate in Jersey isn't the same as living next to an interstate in Montana.

    Reading Rawles as I type. ;)

    Gil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I downloaded, and thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  4. Excellent article James. The out of site, out of mind approach is the only way to insure that your supplies will still be there when you arrive at your retreat. Good advice on the multiple stash, and avoiding "the eggs all in one basket" mistake. particularly true with food and firearms.

    I really enjoy these types of articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried it was old hate. Glad you liked.

      Delete
  5. Also free tracking guide. Starting to read.Never saw free before. Might be limited time.

    Combat Tracking Guide by John D. Hurth

    http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Tracking-Guide-ebook/dp/B00BJ8LQ64/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367351767&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=combat+tracking+guide

    Gil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nightshift here....yes and the wife can leave you too. I figure on of my boys at least will come here. Got somewhat like minded neighbors here with military backgrounds who will do what needs to be done and some hard core medical type neighbors. We have some food production out here on the hill and can expand readily. Chickens, goats, cattle all in the bigger circle. Going alone is not much fun but I have kids to think about.

    Burying preps is a good idea and I need to find some boom sticks to bury......all mine were lost in a boating accident. Had all my guns and ammo in the boat....go figure.

    Along the lines Jim is talking I am hoping to build a "Root celler" very soon. Prepper neighbor has a back hoe and I have more than a few pine trees to build a rustic one. Not ideal shelter but it will keep you warm, cool, and hidden. If I have time I want to do a slab, block structure for a bit better conditions. Tornados from hurricanes are a big threat here.

    Right now I am in the single wide and this divorce will set me back. Heck, plenty of folks are going to make a go of it in a trailer. Its an 07 and pretty well insulated....My location has an 800 square foot covenant but that is hardly a McMansion. Would you approve Oh Magnificent haired one if I build that big? Alot of it will be storage.

    I had an interview for a job paying stupid money and have a good chance. If I get it I will be good to go. Pay off the future ex, build the cabin and get out of debt. My good friends and preppers hold my land note so no foreclosure if things collapse.

    Anyway, loyal minion on too much land.....hey Im selling 10 acres to pay off the wife....I still hold your couple of acres Jim.....gotta a spring fed branch running through......you will need to learn Mississippi Redneck as a second language.

    You can even grow crops here......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of jealous of your situation, dammit! Hey, I should have done things a bit differant, but when you pull your head out of your ass late you settle for Elko or some such.

      Delete
  7. Doctor James, thanks for touching a-bit on the security side of solo prepping. I like that you do indeed understand that most of us may have a life partner but that broad would never, ever embrace the end times life style even, if Satan himself rode his electric black horse over her entire family in front of her and then burned down the local McDonalds.
    I'm telling you, 95% of the people on this earth are wasting my Oxygen. Damn AW's!
    Any more books or articles you can direct to concerning Safety and Solo homesteading security and lock down will be eagerly studied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Satan on a horse bit, classic! My two recommendations are of course "the $50 and up underground house" and "bury your goods" by Eddie The Wire ( Amazon should have both ). I've noticed a lot of new k-books on retreat security, but can't vouch for them.

      Delete
  8. On the subject of living underground you might look at Grandpappy's Cabin Cave - a good idea that of course can be done other ways. http://www.grandpappy.info/wcave.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically, the Bison Pit Of Doom without needing to buy lumber.

      Delete
    2. He has a store bought wood version and a cut the trees yourself version; one's more money and one's more work. That said, larger and drier without the dust and looking at dirt walls. Do you have pictures hung up :)? The important thing (something I've known for thirty years and not done yet) is to move underground.

      Delete