Monday, April 1, 2013

middlin quality


MIDDLIN QUALITY

I’d like to thank Kunstler for pointing out a nice “panic now and avoid the rush” article:


I’m not saying that I totally agree with it, but it is a nice reminder that not even us survivalists always keep in mind that crap can happen instantly and all our plans go to hell in a hand basket on a rocket ship.  Which of course is silly ( ignoring the danger ) because if the last five years have taught us anything, it is that there are indeed black swans, they tend to fly in groups, and every time a flock is spotted you can be sure your head will get crapped on.  The economic meltdown of trillions caused by a mere 80 billion or so from one insurance company.  Deep well drilling backfiring ( which spotlighted just how much the Black Price administration would lie to us- I wouldn’t eat a Gulf swimmer to this day ).  Japanese radiation meltdowns.  Derivatives melting down most Mediterranean countries years ago and only Fed Bank printing presses keep the game going.  Don’t we know by now that we are all going to die?  Yet most survivalists keep planning for the long shopping trip instead of panic buying the Less Than Perfect.  What else is the defense of the ammo situation than denial?  Oh, it’s all right.  The market will swing back our way.  Maybe.  But that assumes you have the time for it to happen, business as usual. 

*

The above article cautions that once the rest of the world stops accepting Petro Dollars, we crash immediately.  You should know this.  Read the article.  Jim Willie is a pretty smart cookie, and maybe reading it will light a fire under you.  Yes, it’s true, the rest of the world can survive and thrive without us.  Which indirectly ties in with a minion comment.  Cash in silver and buy a quality bike.  I have nothing against buying a quality bike ( although, like computers, they have a definite time limit as they are an Industrial Age product [ good luck importing rubber for new tires, ‘cause the fake petroleum based tires you use now will be in short supply ] ) but I sure don’t think cashing in silver is a good idea.  Once the derivatives market goes, silver and gold shoot up.  Since we import most of our silver, it can’t be replaced come collapse ( also, see Friday’s article on heirloom precious metals ).  Also, beware HOW much quality you buy.  I’d advise buying middlin products.  Not too cheap ( bad quality- although some dollar store products are definitely still worth stockpiling ) yet not too expensive, because most of what you are buying is of limited life span.  No matter how high a quality your rifle is, it is useless once the ammo runs out.  Most things survivalists are buying is consumables or only good until breaking.  Don’t over buy.

*

With a bike, they are only good until the tires are gone.  Your frame and wheels should last long after you can’t use the tires.  Why spend too much?  You don’t want cheap.  A China-Mart bike will start crapping out parts after only a few hundred miles.  The chain will pop links, the tires will separate quickly.  The tubes won’t make it very far and the wheel spokes will snap if the wheel doesn’t lose shape first.  The bearings use such poor lubricant if you don’t replace it immediately you will be in for a major repair after five hundred miles ( it adds up quick unless the bike is for kids, three blocks each weekend only ).  It is no more expensive in the first year to just buy a mom and pop bike store bike.  Less stress and it lasts longer.  But it is still mostly made in China or Taiwan ( Japan no longer supplies much ).  They just use better quality.  If you insist on American made you pay a lot more.  Not that it isn’t a great idea to shop local, but don’t get crazy spending twice what you should.  Middle quality, not too high in quality.  The extra savings can buy spare parts.  I’m not too concerned with my bike lasting much past the collapse.  I look at it as work transportation only.  Once work is over ( and the economy with it- I’m not talking about regular unemployment ), I can live without it.  Sure, it would be nice, but priorities are food over luxuries ( if you absolutely NEED a bike after the collapse, you are most likely setting yourself up for failure ).

*

Do you really need the best quality night vision goggles?  You are spending three grand on a tool that is delicate and can break ( just like your AR-15 ).  I don’t think you really need the damn things, but if you think you do, can’t you just buy middlin quality?  You still have your toy, but you also have money for more food and such.  And when it breaks, it doesn’t take the bulk of your prep investment with it.  And it will break.  I can bet you my last can of beans on that.  Moderation in all things, including choosing your tools.  Highest quality doesn’t necessarily mean best.  Folks who tell you to buy a multi-thousand dollar tool of limited duration are obviously assuming we have close to forever before the collapse.  You can always get a job done cheaper if you apply some thought to it.  I needed some air circulation under my mattress because of condensation ( no insulation under the floor ).  Instead of spending money on the problem, I waited until an answer finally popped into my head.  Now I’m using a wood pallet and a half as a boxspring.  That’s kind of apples to oranges on what we are talking about, but it does hopefully lead one to ask if the problem needs money.  If it does, try to minimize instead of maximize the total, of course taking care to not buy total crap.

END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*








Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )







*

If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:


*

My books available at


*

Kindle Survivalist Books


*

By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

 

9 comments:

  1. Just now finally rounded up a decent small wood airtight cook stove. Let me tell ya one of those things ain't easy to find in Floriduh.lol
    My partners at the "Hunting camp ha ha" kept nay saying me about getting one...cooking over an open fire sucks ! Say I.
    Looks ever closer to the big "Rawles" type economic collapse don't it ?
    Now what the ef I gonna do with all them damn Nickels ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how the flight of a nickel is from a wrist rocket? Damn things don't seem to be worth much else post collapse. Or, use as butt plugs. Since gay marriage is about to be legal.

      Delete
    2. I've been considering reshaping them to use as arrowheads...

      Delete
    3. Actually, the best idea I've heard for them.

      Delete
  2. http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/indbikes.html

    worksman industrial bicycle ....... $400
    airless "solid" tires .......................$55
    plus S&H .........................................
    June 2003 I installed airless tires on Schwinn Impact bike.
    Though I rode the bike daily until October 2012
    I had no tire problems, no broken spokes, rims or other bicycle parts,
    despite my 270 lbs. The bike is fine. I had a "light stroke"
    in October, now have balance problems and use a walker.
    I am now 80 years old.
    As soon as the granny bike arrives I will resume riding.
    http://www.thegrannybike.com/quadcycles/granny_bike_kit_description.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZzUT8serQA

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: Once the derivatives market goes, silver and gold shoot up

    Think about it...When the derivative market goes it takes the banking system down. If the banks are closed, gold and silver won't go up because NO one has money to buy with.

    If/when the D market goes, better to have things. LOTS of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, true. There will be no market to price PM. BUT. The value of any you hold, measured in purchasing power, will go WAY up, as there is so little coins in circulation. Obviously, have plenty of what you need, the PM is for holding wealth to the other side of collapse.

      Delete
  4. First, thanks to Joshua's author. I finally got kindle on the PC and am now collecting more stuff to read... :)

    Second, gotta agree with vlad. I spent a bit of time looking at good bikes and the Workman was the best value for a beater/hauler type bike.

    Though I only got a gen 1 nightsight since Jim is right about Meta-priced items.

    I think it depends on the price and item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. Can't generalize EVERYTHING. Just most.

      Delete