Thursday, March 14, 2013

unempoyment preps

I'm thinking Thursday articles will be early from now on, so I can go home at noon.  Here is today's.

UNEMPLOYMENT PREPS

I seriously doubt I’m in any danger of immediate unemployment.  Even if the food bank closed its doors I’d be able to find other work and it would both be quicker than my last job search since I have some shallow roots here now rather than merely being a stranger and far less stressful because I wouldn’t have the ex-wife poised at the edge of the sofa next to the phone ready and oh so very quite willing to drop a dime to the authorities over my child support being a day or two late ( I was never late for fifteen years of payments but as soon as I’m two payments late after being unemployed nearly a month all hell breaks loose.  Hey, I’ll bet you think I forgot all about the ex now that my obligations are finished.  Bet you thought you’d never have to hear about the Handmaiden Of Satan again.  You poor misguided simple fools ).  But the other day I’m talking to the sub-boss ( with three female bosses I challenge any of you to top that with your corporate pyramid ) and in passing it is mentioned that there is yet another grant proposal we’ve put out there trying to pry a few tens of thousands away from that greedy golf playing two million dollar vacation taking Nobel Prize winning for being elected jag off and his sex change ex football playing wife and their high overlords and masters the central bankers who require trillions at a time.  If we get it there is a new refrigerated truck for the food bank ( groovy, more crap to break that we never get fixed ).  Which means there has to be monthly trips county wide to distribute food to other communities ( we are strictly local right now ).

*

I’ve heard the horror stories from the bread guys and the Frito Lay guy about our two lane over the mountains county roads in the winter.  They certainly get paid enough ( well, except for the Wonder Bread guy who ain’t making much on unemployment now ) to risk driving over icy roads overlooking deep gorges.  I do not.  Hell, I made more when I risked my life selling beer and cigarettes ( a convenience store worker is in more mortal danger than a law enforcement officer, although less than a taxi driver ) so I certainly see no reason to place my life in danger to deliver expired government cheese to an old geezer colony they stuck out in the middle of nowhere.  Hey, old dudes- I know you are getting the crap end of the stick.  But, I warned you years and years ago that a 1950’s Supreme Court decision already stated that Social Security is a program that can be withdrawn at will, not a guarantee.  Besides, my taxes go up 50% next year with the medical insurance tax, so shut your wrinkled pie hole.  Don’t start a conversation with an old bastard, you only hear about the state of their bowels and how they are on a fixed budget and they aren’t getting enough at the government trough.

*

Which is when my constant poor attitude once again cropped up.  What was she going to do if I refused to plunge to my fiery death over a cliff, fire me?  How hard would it be, really?  I could lose this job, not find another, and I can’t see too much hardship at all.  Now, keep in mind that I’m assuming continued economic hardship here, not total collapse.  As the government has shown the last five years, the strategy is to screw folks through inflation and mere paper cuts of decreased bennies and bumped up taxes.  No huge cuts all at once, no huge tax increases ( other than the medical insurance ).  Food Stamps won’t be cut totally until the end.  And, I’ll still be getting some kind of writing income until the economy pretty much tanks.  It will be less perhaps, but since the economy will go quick once the pivotal event, the straw that breaks the camel’s back, occurs, but it won’t be a long drawn out event with no welfare programs.  Once the government benefits stop, I can bet you that there will be rebellion and civil war.  Yes, I know I’ve said until food stops there is no insurrection.  But in most of the world today money equals food.  If folks don’t have money they starve.  Stop benefits and watch how quick you lose control.  Rome and bread.

*

Once unemployed, I can go ahead and sell my other lots of land.  This will pay off the hospital bill ( who knows if they would try to put a lien on the property I’m on now ) and make me eligible for Food Stamps ( you can’t have extra assets ).  With savings at hand I’d buy a proper bike.  I still have to go into town for water and thrice weekly Internet access to post articles.  But I need a single speed bike so I can do all my own maintenance on it ( and, more importantly, less expensively ).  I used to do so, all except the bearings.  I can learn that from my new buddy the former mechanic ( he does cars, generators, bikes ).  The main problem now with being my own mechanic is first the type of bike.  Multi speeds blow.  Way too many parts to break and replace.  On a single speed, with my mileage, if I replace the chain twice a year and the rear wheel bearing annually ( and the crack bearings ),  I should have no issues other than flats.  Which brings up the second issue.  It’s way too cold here in the winter to be my own mechanic.  Without an outbuilding I can heat, it is close to impossible to do it myself.  With a single speed, I just change the bearings or wheels and chain in the Fall, and then have a front and back wheel with uninflated tire as a back up and no longer is the mechanics in winter an issue.

END PART ONE

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*








Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )







*

My books available at


*

By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

 

11 comments:

  1. Jim on benefits the fed cant decrease what it spends.War is expensive but wide spread civil unrest is 10 times worse.So the beenies must flow it is the lesser of the evils.I know it sounds bad but the ones that will be humped the most are minimum wage to +20% folks not enuff to live and to much to collect freebies.For some its just going to be a type of reality show out the window.At least your in the food givaway buisiness im in the retail side of food guess who will last the longest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My job relies on the generousity of Obammy, the public relations of the mining industry, and the stupidity of grocery stores ALWAYS overstocking. I imagine in the past if you had bustling shelves it increased sales. How is that possible in a general contraction?? Not really sure how secure my job is. A few stores could go bankrupt here in town and no one would miss them.

      Delete
  2. For some reason your posts aren't showing up in my blog reader. Not sure why even when I reset it they don't show anything since 2012. Google's Reader is dying soon anyway, so I'll have to switch to a differnet feed method anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember that short time when Amazon and Google teamed up on blog ads? That stopped working before they pulled it. I wonder how many multi-billion dollar companies are crying about labor costs and skimping on adequate help.

      Delete
  3. hey nice article... i am 65 and i am on a fixed income i didnt shit today yet...if you deciede to sell one of your lots email me id lov to have somewhere togo

    denny from illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere to go live or somewhere to go poop? HA! Thought you had me there.

      Delete
    2. hahahaha i meant to go live but the other is kinda funny also

      denny

      Delete
  4. "I still have to go into town for water and thrice weekly Internet access to post articles."

    James; It would be wise to have some clear plastic sheeting on hand. In a worst case scenario assuming that you are layed up, and cannot get in to town so easily, you can set up an emergency solar still, and at least be able to procure some drinking water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a huge roll left over from the two pits. Damn $60 a roll. Enough for a lifetime.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. v-bars for snow, ice or mud.

    http://vlad-unclevlad.blogspot.com/2011/09/ill-tell-you-again-get-v-bar-tire.html

    ReplyDelete