Wednesday, March 6, 2013

the rubble of the consumer economy


THE RUBBLE OF THE CONSUMER ECONOMY

I wanted to title this “Poking Through The Rubble Of The Consumer Economy” but that ran into two lines and I try to keep the title snazzy and brief.  But fear not, loyal minions, this is not yet another sad comment on the economic condition we now face.  Well, sort of.  But my main focus is on the feeble, sad and pathetic efforts those of us who were Johnny-Come-Latelies and followed the advice of Yuppie Scum and thought they had all the friggin time in the world before the collapse ( “Peak Oil is twenty years away, at least!  Buy a retreat using a mortgage [ PS I’m only covering my ass when I say that, I really am selling this lifestyle to rich humps who can buy outright but my advertisers are trying to sell to The Little People also so there you go ].  Buy a little bit at a time until you have all the super duper high priced toys I suggest like a warehouse of MRE’s and night vision scopes for three grand ) and now have almost zero weapons and even less ammunition and are wondering what the hell just happened and what can they possibly do.  Well, to make it short and sweet before I give you details, you know you are humped and everything I suggest is merely a “better than nothing”.  Before, when I offered advice on BTN ( better than nothing ), such as an all wheat post-apocalypse diet, or bolt guns, or a fat or ugly wife that was accommodating to preps instead of the shoe shopping SUV driving fake boob princess you have now, you all scoffed and chortled and made rube noises at me.  Now, you might have to start listening.

*

You can see signs of the imminent demise of our consumer economy.  And since consumption is 70% of all economic activity in this once industrial giant, that pretty much means the whole ship has hit an iceberg and is listing ominously.  It’s not necessarily the providers, although they have their share of humping the pooch.  Company A buys company B which had bought company C and so on, and at the end of the day only two giants offer each desired product or service and the customer is paying a hefty percentage of the retail price as interest on all those loans that were needed for the acquisitions ( Wal-Mart played a similar game with expansion, up until customers had to cut back on spending and then their whole “constant growth” paradigm started failing ).  I could write a weeks worth how idiotic and incompetent corporates are and have been.  But the main culprit is of course the one you don’t want to hear ( because there is no fix ) about, too expensive energy.  With energy too dear, a consumption binge obviously has to slow down.  Yet in our economic model, only growth can keep it all together since interest must always be paid and interest is only possible with growth.

*

I’m not discounting Obammy’s role in stimulating the ammo crisis.  Nor inflation, to a much smaller degree.  But in the end, the ammo and gun problem is that of declining energy and ore supplies.  If you don’t have your stash, you had better act right friggin now because it is only going to get much worse.  You can’t buy the best, or the most useful or the sexiest.  Right now, you buy whatever the crap is available, and you like it ( I’m speaking to folks still too many thousands of rounds away from an adequate supply- not those squared away ).  This means you need to forget about semi-auto’s.  Most likely, the rimfires are now impossible to feed.  You can’t go with military calibers because they simply aren’t available.  Now, obviously, if you have tons of cash, none of this is applicable.  Money solves most problems, at least for now it still does.  But for those of us too poor, your options are dwindling.  If you wait because you think the problem will rectify itself, I’d gamble you have at least a 90% chance of being disappointed.  I’m not saying I can guarantee I’m correct, I’m merely claiming that looking through the cheap and easy energy prism, the ammo shortage looks like “it’s different this time”.  If you buy crap you don’t want and this whole thing blows over, if I’m wrong as can be, feel free to ask for a 100% refund on your subscription price to this blog.

*

First, go shopping for the ammo.  Whatever is there, that is the gun(s) you buy.  If there is no 12guage but an adequate supply of 20, you go with that.  If no 45’s are available, you go with 44.  It is my understanding that powder, primers and almost ALL ready to fire ammunition is out.  I looked up for a chamber insert for the Enfield, not wishing to ever exercising that option because anything under carbine ammo has zero range which I need here in the desert but realizing if I can’t find powder or brass I might have little choice, and it is hard to find even the 32 ACP or the 7.62x25.  I can still buy 303Brit, but at twice the old price.  I don’t know about you, but a buck fifty to two bucks a round, for a weapon that isn’t renowned for its accuracy, is a damn site unacceptable.  Hell, you might be so desperate you might be stuck with having to go with the Russian Mossin-Nagant.  Of course, only if you can order the ammo you need for it at the same time.  One possibility not to discount is the bolt action/single shot in less than popular calibers.  If that is the only affordable ammo left, what do you have to lose?  And needless to say, now more than ever before, weapons that sip at your ammo supply rather than ravenously consume it are much better.

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

 

20 comments:

  1. Greeting Lord of the Great Basin,

    The economy is slowing down here in Germany. The company I work for has factories in Germany,France,China and the USA. The Chinese are spending huge amounts of money, my job is safe for at least another year thanks to the chinese. We have an exchange program at work and there are french, american and chinese dudes running all over the place. I've got a lot of good information from these folks. We are screwed!!!

    I've been in the shooting club for years and have a good supply of ammo. Lots of paper work and frustration being a gun owner in europe. The black market is expensive but faster and less hassle. I don't feel sorry for any American that is unarmed. They had enough warning.

    Are black powder weapons still an option in the USA? I haven't heard about a powder shortage. A sneaky person could use a cap and ball revolver to get an upgrade.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Dear Solsys

    I'm still enjoying the story. I've noticed some minor mistakes, you must speak german because you used the word "wink" instead of waved and the word "rent" instead of retirement.

    I speak german and I'm getting there with my spanish. French is on my list.

    bigunsfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I wonder if the BP percussion caps are also seeing shortages. Anyone?

      Delete
    2. Hi Bigunsfan,

      Yes, I also speak German ;-)

      I'll have to check for these mistakes ; if you can spare some time, can you tell me in which chapter you've seen them ?

      It's a bit difficult for me now to look for these mistakes, I've finished chapter 36 and have reached 190,000 words. I'm making a pause now after this chapter, in order to work out the collapse part. I'm still going to publish five chapters a week on Mondays until we get to chapter 36.

      Glad you're enjoying the story ! (For those interested : http://solsysbooks.blogspot.com/ )

      Cheers,

      Solsys

      Delete
    3. In fact yes there is a shortage on BP percussion caps. I have tried to stock up on my #10 pistol caps and am unable to locate any. I have managed to buy a couple pounds of Pyrodex but the price was very inflated. BP is virtually impossible to find as it is considered a controlled substance now days. If you can find a dealer which stocks it, the price is around $50 a lb !!! Tho for BP guns Pyrodex actually is much cleaner burning anyhow.

      It seems that Sulfur and Nitrates can be purchased at well stocked garden centers however if one is inclined to making your own BP. Takes much practice and time to make good powder for decent propellent tho.

      Delete
    4. Lord Bison of the Great Basin;

      Number 10 and Number 11 Black Powder percussion primers are still very much available in quantity from the usual suspects. However right now on the repeater front, it seems that Hornady .454 lead ball projos are going through a dry spell, which could be rectified by the middle of April. Needless to say, not everything has gone off the deep end yet. Keep, keeping it real James!

      Delete
    5. Spud; Track of the wolf sells real black powder in bulk; it's around $18.00 dollars a can, and a 25lb minimum order that can be mixed and matched with various granulation's, and they are showing it at their website as being in stock. There is a 50lb possession limit here in the U.S. but that's a lot of powder! Cabela's sells the percussion caps in bulk, but they also charge a $20.00 hazardous fee on top of everything else.

      http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/135/1

      Wayne

      Delete
    6. Hey Wayne,

      Thanks for the heads up on BP ! You ain't wrong that's a lot of BP and way over what I can currently afford for just powder. Perhaps tho I can get some of my buds to go together on an order. Currently there is only one dealer in Orlando that I know of who handles it and that SCUM bag is charging $50 smackers a pound...

      Delete
  2. Sorry Spud.... you are not even close with your "gun confiscation" guess.

    Nobody here able to do DEEP thought????????????

    Jim, this article started out great, then it sputtered and went into the ditch.

    Additionally because of your stubborness on a certain idea you are sticking it to yourself.

    Oh well! I tell my kids there are two ways to learn things. The easy way and the hard way. Have at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right about the sputtering. I'm guessing my stubberness is my refusal to do anything the expensive way? That seems to be the main differance between my minions suggestions and what I actually do.

      Delete
    2. No, nothing to do with the "expensive" way.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness I panicked early. You're pretty screwed if you don't have your ammo stockpiled deep at this stage.

    I haven't posted lately because a) I'm reading you on a Kindle Fire and typing on it is a pain and b) been busy battening down the hatches for what's coming and c) your comment section was acting wonky for a while and deleting my post. Darn computers.

    I liked the comment from yesterday asking what could the govt be planning that THEY feel the need for so much weapons and ammo. You should do an article on that.

    Idaho Homesteader

    ReplyDelete
  4. The folks who saved their rimfire ammunition years ago are likely very smug. I remember Federal Lightning going for $7 / 500 rounds, cheap plinking ammunition but try and locate ANY rimfire is crazy expensive. The only rimfire I've seen is the high end target ammunition.

    To keep in practice, air rifles are the only choice. They will be worth it if SHTF, vermin control and such. Not to mention wee creatures for the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suddenly, the retarded choices like bows/crossbows, air and black powder seem a lot more attractive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're calling me retarded ?...I told ya long ago that the Bow was the way to go lol

      Delete
    2. Hunting? Yes, the bow. Against FedGov troops or other gun armed dudes? The bow blows. That was why the retard comment. I'm sure I'm more retarded, all kidding aside.

      Delete
  6. Nightshift here...
    Still a good post. I have a buddy who had the idea back in september to buy as much ammo as we could afford. Lets just say I am good except for some specific calibers but I got plenty to work with. I had a bunch of 22 and my dad gave me probably 8000 rounds of 20 year old stuff. Shot a little with no significant misfires. Bought 2 Russian M44 carbines, 7.62x54R and 1040 rounds of ammo. Sold my Poodle shooter for stupid money and have done alot of preppin with the profit.

    Bows are good. Just picked up a sweet used on off Craigslist. I am at 2 compounds and one recurve. Need some more arrows. Not a fan of crossbows. I feel the follow up with a regular bow is quicker. Not the ideal weapon but can silently take most game....and "varmits".

    Pellet rifles have a place. Definitely liking the cap and ball pistol idea if you can support it. I suggest not getting the 36 caliber as ball ammo can be harder to find. Doesnt hit as hard either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pellet rifles have a place. Definitely liking the cap and ball pistol idea if you can support it. I suggest not getting the 36 caliber as ball ammo can be harder to find. Doesnt hit as hard either."

      I read the same as far as availability of projectiles for this caliber Nightshift, so it would be wise to get a mold if one goes with this particular caliber. For those considering this option, it should be noted that the .36 caliber is about the same velocity as a .22 long rifle, and that the typical .44 caliber is said to about the equivalent of a standard .38 special round. There are some exceptions though for the .44; the Colt Walker, Dragoon, and Ruger old army all have larger powder capacity than the standard .44 calibers. The Walker can hold a whopping 60 grain charge, but it's a big gun too.

      Wayne

      Delete
    2. "Not a fan of crossbows. I feel the follow up with a regular bow is quicker. Not the ideal weapon but can silently take most game....and "varmits"."

      I agree Nightshift as far as the speed of rapid firing with a conventional longbow vs a crossbow. However I think that crossbows have an important place as well. They are great in a situation where one needs to stay low and snipe if need be. The horizontal configuration of the prod, vs the vertical configuration of the standard long bow allows for a lower profile and better stealthiness. It's also easier to make more accurate shots at fast and hard to hit small game; Ex: ducks on a farm pond. Once sighted in, anyone that is capable of firing a rifle can fire a crossbow with relative accuracy, after learning how to compensate for bolt drop at various ranges outside of the sight in. Also, with a rope cocker, the poundage is reduced by half. A 150lb crossbow is now 75lb, and many older, weaker members of the family can cock one if needed.

      I love my Excaliber crossbow, and am glad that I have it.

      Wayne

      Delete
  7. I've been selling off excess .22 LR now too. Fools are paying $90 for a brick of 555. Sold two for that now and put the money back into rice and wheat. The good Russian Mosin's in my neck of the woods are gone now. Now they've got the Chinese Type 53's and man are they ever a sight to behold. The wood is so beat up on them that they look like they've sat rotting away in a wet forest floor for 10 years. The ammo is back on the shelf locally though for the x54R. $109 per 440 round spam can. Calibers that I've never seen go off the shelf are 7mm Rem Mag, 280 Remington, 32 Winchester.

    ReplyDelete