Wednesday, March 20, 2013

logical conclusion


LOGICAL CONCLUSION

Sorry I didn’t get to yesterday’s comments.  As I said, I got playing with the new Kindle, trying to learn the basics.  I want to try reading on it for several hours straight before I judge its merits compared to paper ( other than affordability ), so you’ll hear about that next week.  For now, the site that shows free K-books:


And for a course on how to search the Amazon site by category ( it is said that “advice and how to” and “lifestyle and home” contain the most books us survivalists will like ), either free or not, go to:


That’s it for the Kindle.  A minion commented on my less than stellar decision buying 303Brit blanks instead of real ammo ( I might have got a bit hot under the collar, as when someone suggests I get a second job to avoid being frugal it seems all my efforts and time writing are being ignored- this is my second job people.  I can make it look effortless because I’m that good.  But don’t think it isn’t a real job ) and another minions sale of semi-auto gear and accessories to fund food buying ( it seems since the food isn’t as portable it is a burden ).  The charges were: being in la-la land.  Hey, no hard feelings.  We all need people to stand up and question the “authority” of our advice.  If you are only surrounded by toadying Yes-Men, the feedback you get is worthless.  I was pissed about the proposed solution, not the questioning of my purchasing decision.  It was a gamble on my part.  I’m gambling on a certain outcome, namely that ammunition shortages are here to stay.  If you recall, I was talking about the rimfire disappearance long before His Most Royal Kenyan was re-crowned.

*

If rimfire was disappearing before the election panic, before the school shooting panic, it can only be the result of other factors.  Certainly, it can partially attributed to FedGoc mass buys.  Partially.  Because years prior to that, the military in Iraq was blowing through huge amounts of ammo and the civilian market was unaffected.  The military pulls out of Iraq, and the FedGov LEO jack booted thugs takes over keeping demand up, but not to the point it is far, far worse as far as taking from the civilians.  I still contend that ore shortages are the key component.  So my gamble, putting my money where my mouth is, is to stock up on the cheapest ammo I can get as a far in the future possible back-up.  As far as the other minion, he simply places greater heed in the coming famine danger than anything requiring the need for a semi-auto ammo hose.  The two gambles have a certain aspect of dwelling full time in “la-la land”, that magical place where reality and fantasy shall never meet.  A polite way of saying, “your head is up your ass”.

*

Well, I think most of us are still in La-La Land.  Because we are still living in grid connected dwellings and working at worthless jobs which merely shuffle around fake paper currency, diminishing energy supplies or objects of theft.  How can anyone really proclaim, under those circumstances, that their survival plans do not contain some faint trails into La-La Land?  Yes, there are degrees of unreality.  The Yuppie Scum Survivalists are the worse, assuming the economy crashes after they die and petroleum lasts just as long.  They have three cars to bug out, five thousand gallons of fuel, one year of MRE’s and twenty-three semi-automatic weapons.  And work in the midst of a huge mega-city to fund it all.  Oh, certainly, that plan can’t backfire on them.  But all of us are planning under too rosy assumptions as well.  If you plan for a die-off, and scenario things out to their most logical conclusion, we all have at least a 90% chance of dying.  All this talk, planning, money and learning only buy us a marginally improved chance of survival.  The only way you avoid most issues is so drastic that I’d be surprised if anyone ever seriously contemplated it.  If you wish to avoid the money economy, avoid relying on all Industrial/Petroleum Age tools that can run out or break and are irreplaceable, if you wish to avoid the masses of humanity that will kill you for the remaining ounce of fat on your ass, your only true solution is to create your own Stone Age and live there.

*

Unless you drop out and disappear into a remote enough wilderness, your survival chances simply can’t improve noticeably in the coming die-off.  Now, I’m not suggesting eating tree bark and killing bears for their fur with a stone tipped spear.  You’ll certainly have to practice making and using those kind of primitive devices, regularly to gain proficiency, but you can “half-way house” the effort.  You can still carry a back-up revolver to defend against wild animals while you hunt with a homemade bow and arrow.  If your hunting doesn’t yield meat, you can use modern steel traps and have several buried caches of feed store bought grain as back-ups ( it would suicidal NOT to- and don’t forget buckets of lard as fat is scarce out there ).  You can use modern plastic sheeting on your earth dug-out.  If you pre-cache, there is little danger from dying a “backpacker survivalist” gruesome death of starvation and exposure.  You can half ass the effort, taking your buddies on weekend camping trips to pre-cache and living close enough to the wilderness to bug-out ( although bugging out always carries danger, obviously ) when the time comes.  This does not allow practice or acclimation, but it does beat trying to create a concrete retreat using a mortgage.  The point is not the practicality of dropping out of the system, but the fact that anything less is still deluding yourself you have all that great a chance of surviving ( and even then, challenges abound.  Lack of community, lack of companionship [ I can just see sex crazed single lunatics emerging back into civilization long enough to kidnap a poor gal ], lack of medical, etc. ).  Love La-La Land- most of us will be lifelong residents.

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

 

13 comments:

  1. http://www.freebooksifter.com/

    This is a good site for FREE(!) ebooks. You are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's an excellent place for prep type books, war, real life, health, garden and stories.

    Just do her a favor, don't click on the books. I copy the titles and do a search on Amazon itself.

    Seems Amazon has gone after the little guy free sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad.

      http://preputilityvehicle.blogspot.ca/

      Delete
    2. http://preputilityvehicle.blogspot.ca/

      Delete
  3. bigunsfan here

    Lord Bison,

    Don't sweat the negative commenter. The guy loves you, he's just overly concerned about your well being. You only hurt the ones you love.

    Anyway, are you crazy? $225 for friggin blanks!!! Sell clippings of your fantastic hair to the Loyal Minions then you can afford real ammo.

    I checked out some forums on reloading blanks. Some folks say you can, some folks say you can't. Didn't find any real facts about reloading blanks. Read a few comments that claim a guy on AR15 reloaded blanks and they worked fine. So, I don't have a clue.

    Maybe you can get some Loyal Minions to do some research for you. You know, what tools you'll need and reloading data. Just a suggestion.

    JW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, the way I figure, its just lead and powder after that, and they are easier to get, hopefully, than the brass and primer. Locally, its ( factory loaded ) $2 a round, and I'm afraid what the bulk price is- $700 for 500 perhaps. Damn, $200+ is going to hurt enough as it is.

      Delete
  4. I found the thread about reloading blanks. Hope this helps.

    http://tinyurl.com/dy5cngy

    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/362105_Can_5_56_M200_blanks_be_reloaded_as_live_ammo__Update__on_3rd_firing__56k_do_not_click_.html

    JW

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, before you get all butt hurt again, I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings.

    How about if we try a little reality? You work hard writing, it takes ALOT of time, the rewards compared to the effort are very small. If any of us spent the amount of time you do and got the pay for it that you do, at a different job, we would QUIT. I'm thinking that in reality your writing and the blog should be considered a HOBBY.

    Now, concerning the guy that sold off his ammo and MAGS (I want make sure I stay politically correct for the gun fanatics, so I won't say clips)... the guy makes NO mention of using the money to buy food. Right?

    Denny, if you are reading, Jim's a big boy. He don't need you sticking up for him.

    Finally, Jim, give the 22rimfire shortage a little more thought. (clue: JIT)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not a hobby. Hobbies cost, business' pays. How about the term "micro-business"? Also, please keep disagreeing with me. Seriously. You gave me ANOTHER article idea, with the JIT suggesstion. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. If you like the classics, here is a great site: http://www.gutenberg.org
    -Steve_in_CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. anonymous 720 thank you ....i leave the floor to you .....also clips are what you load a garand or a a sks or a mosin nagant with fixed in the weapon magazines that arent removable
    magazines are the things you can put 30 rounds in and swap them as you need to feed the plastic fun toys.....
    jim is my hero i can play back up on his 6 when ever i wish
    denny
    ps jim i sent you a email where they have rounds you need but the price is high..but every place i went to they are out of stock of 22 short or lr only magnums are available

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll be checking e-mail after this.

      Delete