Tuesday, March 12, 2013

kurt saxon misc.


KURT SAXON MISC.

Today is one of those days where I have the usual earth shattering utterly profound unmatched nuggets of wisdom but they are, alas, not potentially long enough to construct a full length article.  So, you get several shorter subjects mixed and matched.  Mainly, we’ll talk about Kurt Saxon but first up let’s talk about the main talk of the town yet again- ammo.  I normally wouldn’t get all involved and sappy and needy, nor would I normally want to talk about the same damn thing everyone is talking about ( other than to mock them, usually ) but of course this is pretty much an event of historical importance.  For the first time, pert near, a major component of prepping is missing.  If food comes up short, as in the rice panic, there are always substitutes ( although one imagines about two or three billion Asians soiling themselves bloody at the thought of having to live without eating White Maggots three times a day.  Well, those city dwellers out of that number anyway ).  And food isn’t altogether that high tech of an issue.  Besides substitutes ( which of course only count when they are available ) you can grow your own.  You might not be successful right away but with a very small knowledge base you can start growing quickly.  There is almost no barrier to entry.  Ammunition, on the other hand, has no substitutes.  Any one we do come up with is so larded down with disadvantages that it is close to useless.

*

I don’t know what one can do, other than do without or pay a pretty penny ( I can order now any amount I want of 303 Brit, as long as I want to pay a buck fifty to two bucks a round.  And I imagine that is for hoarded supplies.  Once those are ordered I’m betting no more will be available in that caliber ).  If things keep getting worse with the supply of hand rolled and components, there is one tactic that might work.  I wouldn’t try it if any other means of ammo supply is there for you, but how about pre-Apocalypse scavenging?  I put out an article “emergency reloading” about scavenging components from other rounds but I’ll be damned if I can find the thing searching both this blog and Bison Survival Blog.  I guess I put it under another title.  Or I forgot what I called the thing.  It tells you which powder is transferable, how to reuse primers, etc.  If there is no other option for you, you could just buy any other round/caliber that is a close fit ( can use the same powder, mostly.  You can always scoop out primer material and transfer it to the other cup after wetting it with alcohol ).  Melt the lead down, use the powder and primer and if you are lucky, resize the brass and sell that to still make a profit.  We are talking about worse case here, when next to nothing is for sale except exotic rounds.  Just a thought.  On a similar vein, if you have Berden primed old surplus ammo, I’ve heard some folks have been successful drilling a hole in the base and then installing a Boxer primer.  I don’t know what size drill bit, or whether you need to de-prime first or not, but also something to ponder.  I have over a thousand of those bastards so you can bet I’ll be trying it one of these days.

*

A minion sent me Kurt Saxon’s web page:


Kurt is of course my most direct influence.  Not necessarily his three gun philosophy ( as most of you are painfully aware I’m not the biggest fan of the shotgun.  I’m not opposed to it on principle it’s just that it doesn’t work for me.  So far.  I might change my mind if those become the only rounds available in the near future [ since they are mostly plastic instead of brass, perhaps they will persevere ] ) but his food storage.  I grew up in the country and at one time we had animals, but I was never directly aware of where the feed came from.  When Kurt wrote about buying wheat at a feed and grain store in the late 80’s, I fell to my knees in gratitude and wonderment!  Here at last was the answer to the age old survivalist question, just how in the name of God could I ever afford a years worth of storage food?  I realize now that this seems silly and obvious, but before reading it I never had clue one. 

*

Kurt was far from perfect.  His thoughts that we could seamlessly transition from petroleum economies to coal and wood based is flawed in that the infrastructure doesn’t exist ( of course, more so now than when he first wrote on it ).  You can of course individually perform this change, but as a society, especially in a die-off, we won’t.  Of course that is a minor quibble.  What Kurt did was present a world view that no other survivalist offered, one that was less rich bitch consumerism and more common sense Hillbilly muddle through.  I’ll always love him for that.  But is he still relevant?   He is asking for $150 for a single friggin DVD containing all his books and videos and radio shows.  For one thing, most of this is in the public domain.  So he didn’t do all the heavy lifting.  And nowadays you can find the old timey books other places ( I have a source I’ll look up and get to you ).  So, even though I understand a lot of work went into his books, they are rather dear in price.  He is fun to read, but there is also very little of his own work.  A few articles and the rest hundred year old books ( and a lot of magazine articles I’m not sure are still allowed to be copied- thanks a lot you twats Disney and Sonny Bono for the new and NOT improved copyright act ).  Kurt is definitely showing his age as far as relevance, but we’ll always love the guy.

END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*








Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )







*

My books available at


*

By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

 

8 comments:

  1. Your "Emergency Reloading" article (from 2001) starts on page 6 of the pdf of the Bison Newsletter Collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really could have sworn I posted the article alone on the blog. I wasn't trying to pimp sales of my book. But it's okay if you do, so thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. Just a thought for future posts: spare emergency eyeglasses. There are now variable focus eyeglasses for sale, some fairly cheap, and work for both far-sighted and near-sighted people using a simple re-focusing method. www.buyadlens.com have Emergensee Eyeglasses that can be used for both near and far vision problems as long as severe astigmatism or other vision problems are not an issue. Emergensee eyeglasses are about $45 each. Another type of emegency glasses are Eyejusters (about $45 at http://www.reading-glasses.eyewearer.com/buy_adjustable_reading_glasses.html). Eyejusters have a variable focus glasses for either Far-Sightedness or near-sightedness rather than having both. Each of these glasses (Emegensee or Eyejusters) can have each eye have different prescriptions. Emegensee can even be bought on Amazon or Ebay. Currently, you can get them cheaper at Ebay or www.Buyadlens.com. I own pairs of each (Emegensee, Eyejusters Far(+) and Eyejusters Near(-). My favorite is Emergensee that works for both near and far (+3 diopters to -6 diopters) and more easily adjustable at the spur of the momemt for near or far projets. The optical qualities of either types are amazingly good and makes you independent of expensive glasses. The other thing is that if you have problems seeing things close, Dollar store reading glasses are pretty good. You can get several pairs at different strengths for your needs and your family needs, however, dollar store glasses are not for near sighted people. However, Dollar store reading glasses are only for far-sighted people or people with presbiopia. However, Emergensee has the ability, with one pair of glasses, to meet my day to day vision needs without switching glasses. Plus, Emergensee eye-glasses can be used by any family member or friend with common vision problems whether they are far-sighted, near-sighted, or have older eyes that can't read without reading glasses. Plus, if your eyes change, they will still work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I think you pretty much covered any info on that one- so thanks for saving me writing an article on it ( of course, one other option is getting regulars on sale. If they are $69 for two pairs, free exam, like I see on TV ads then there are your back-ups )

      Delete
    2. As for the $69.00 for two pairs for single vision glasses: try doing that with progressives, bifocals, or trifocals. Plus, they will try to up-sale you with coatings for this and that. Plus, in 2 years, your eyes may change and you have to buy 2 more pairs. Plus some people have variable vision or will develop it as they grow older,on an day to day or hour to hour basis.

      Delete
    3. OK, good points. I'm lucky in that my vision hasn't degraded noticeably over the decades. That does color my thinking.

      Delete
  3. meh, I go to https://www.zennioptical.com/ and get eyeglasses for about $20 delivered. Not the most stylish, not always the thinnest lenses, but cheap.. Bifocals cost more of course, but still less than the local eye shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.zennioptical.com/
    $20 delivered for single vision. more for bifocals of course, but still less than local eye shop. Not always the thinnest or fanciest, but they are for *backups*

    ReplyDelete