Tuesday, March 19, 2013

chinese solutions


CHINESE SOLUTIONS

The Kindle is here!  The Kindle is here!  A wonderfully kind minion gifted me a Kindle, which I now hold in my grubby little hands.  This won’t be a replacement of paper books ( never trust electronics to the Apocalypse! ) but a supplement.  For those books I’d never buy, I can now try on Kindle as long as the price is low enough.  A prime example is the newish book edited by The Arch Druid Dude, a collection of Peak Oil fiction.  A fascinating subject, but since the authors have no track record I can’t be sure of what I’m getting, so $15 is out of the question.  On the other hand, I can gamble $7, the Kindle version price.  And since it is fiction I don’t need it in paper ( I try to collect ALL survivalist fiction in paper form, but some I’ll never collect such as the pulp uber-survivalist series which are D&D type wandering quests to pick up more food and ammo always conveniently available, then slaying dragon like Soviets or radiated mutants.  A lot of the new survival fiction out there looks are real crap, also out of the question for the paper price.  So, I guess really what I mean is most historic survival fiction is paper, new stuff is Kindle until proven ).  Also with Kindle, I can start reading the morning paper again in e-version.  I won’t spend good money funding a fish-wrapper tree killer commie propaganda rag, but I don’t mind a $5 a month Kindle bill to keep abreast of the news the TV ignores every night.

*

Tomorrow I’ll post the web sites I’ve been made aware of with links to K-books.  After that, please feel free to share your sources.  I’ll start a page just for Kindle survival book subjects and keep it updated.  Also, I’ll soon review the Kindle, hardware wise.  So, now to today’s article.  Keeping it simple, government version.  I’ve always said that to every problem, regardless of complexity, there is always a simple solution.  The only problem is, either folks can’t articulate the true problem, or the solution seems to be worse.  Can’t stand the wife?  Get a new one ( with the attendant problem of now supporting both ).  Gun control leaving you unarmed?  A gallon of jellied gas and a match will burn down a police station and its armed minions will emerge ( problem, it’s dangerous ).  Can’t afford $1200 per person per year for survival food?  Wheat will keep you alive, whereas a page with the ad for the premium food can only be used once for toilet paper.  Boo hoo, sorry you have to have taste fatigue.  Still better than cannibalism.  I could go on all day.  Why do we always overthink a solution?  We don’t want a solution if the problem is manageable ( even if it promises NOT to be shortly ). 

*

Governments, on the other hand, never have a problem finding very simple solutions to their problems.  After all, they won’t feel any pain.  The Chinese have a law on their books that children are compelled to care for their aging parents.  Not that I see a problem with that law.  And I imagine few Chinese do, other than a few greedy urban dwellers who pray that their old peasant farmer parents would just hurry up and die.  When government laws just put on to paper what people do by custom anyway, no one disagrees with the law.  They were going to do the thing anyway.  The law is just a means for the majority to punish the minority who refuse to comply.  Now, I have little knowledge of China, so I don’t know any details.  It could be the law just formalized custom, or it could be a means to combat that custom being changed for the worse.  But what concerns me is that someone over here, perhaps a minion of Lucifer with nappy hair and floppy lips who loves to play golf and spend millions flying his family to Hawaii to visit the place his fake birth certificate is stored, perhaps might think this is a really good idea and try to emulate it.  God help us, the old rotting bitch might be quartered in our pimping McMansion.  Hey, I have nothing against old people as long as they are my family or buy through my Amazon ads.  But I do have an issue with the social contract being abruptly changed.

*

Young people have been absolved of caring for their parents since The Great Depression.  At first no one wanted Mom to leave, she was great watching and teaching the kids while the parents tilled the fields and what not.  But slowly the wrinkled began migrating down to Florida to die and the young started putting all their earnings into appliances and big screen TV’s instead of buying heart meds for the parents.  The system sucks, but the infrastructure is in place ( even if rotting ).  To change it now would disrupt everyone.  Yet, given how idiotic our government is ( borrowing two trillion a year to bail out the banks ), and hence broke as a beggar, you don’t expect them to keep trying to support your parents, do you?  The simple solution is to pass a bill requiring all children to support their parents under penalty of law.  Income won’t be a consideration.  If the government doesn’t give a crap that a single man spends 75% of his income on taxes and child support ( even if the wife earns far more than he ), leaving only enough money to keep the automobile loan payments up so he can live in his car, why would they care you have no money to support your parents?  Nor will they care when you become unemployed.  They will wash their hands of the problem.  Mark my words, it is coming.  The details are unknown, as is the timing, but it won’t be enough to screw over Seniors by winding down Social Security.  The whole family is going to suffer also.  That is, after they Bank Holiday everyone and confiscate your savings. 

END

NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*








Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )







*

If my Blogger page ever goes down, I will start to post at my regular web site:


*

My books available at


*

By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.

 

9 comments:

  1. http://www.gutenberg.org/

    Project Gutenberg is one of the very early players in eBooks. It started almost with the internet, back in 1994.

    These are all books in the public domain, mostly books from before the 20th century. Most classics are there, as well as books that are expensive in paper form, such as Greek philosophy.

    Upper class families used to spend a fortune on this kind of books and dedicate a whole room for them. Now they are now completely free, and that will take less room than a box of matches (including its backup).

    And believe me, there is much more wisdom in these books than any of the crap written after the 70's (which was the Swan Song of western culture).

    Many ebooks are in TXT format (most books have several formats), meaning they're both very light and readable in all kinds of eReaders.

    Grab it all while it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Kindle! It's the AR-15 of reading devices! You will like it.

    I wouldn't worry too much about having to support the parents anytime soon. It won't happen until the politicians pull a Cyprus on their bank accounts, which is at least a year or two away. And even then it's not like you would have to pay for EVERYTHING they need. Just their food, shelter, clothing and Obama Care premiums. And probably also a medium size cable channel package. Plus 6 weeks of vacation expentitures per year (not to exceed $250/day average for the 6 weeks).

    If your parents die and you are still under 70 years of age (meaning you are still fit to work on the factory floor and capable of "supporting" others) they will assign you foster-parents to be adopted to so that you can then support other seniors who didn't bother having children themselves. It's only fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you made me feel better about the senior support!

      Delete
  3. Here's a site I use to download free Kindle books:

    http://www.ereaderiq.com/freebies/

    JP in MT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lord Bison of the Great Basin;

    By all means and ways the fedgov should just pawn the Seniors onto all us productive and unproductive alike without reservation to income or means, couldn't agree more, however with this caveat; This means that all social net programs get the complete axe and that would mean that a huge amount of fedgov is now obsolete, therefore being shutdown and the income that once went to the programs, through taxation (primarily personal/corporate income)is now no longer collected at the same rate. Granted that the Industrial-Prison-Security-Enforcement Complex apparatus gets more and more expensive all the time, but as I see it, only a small fraction of what fedgov extorts from me and all the productive people I know on a weekly basis, hence a HUGE reduction in the amount of taxation paid to fedgov hence fedgov would starve themselves because they pawned Grandma onto me and mine. Sounds Good a true revolution without drones and WMD's, about flipping time! Keep, keeping it real James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reduction in taxes. More taxes, less services. Revolting, not revolution.

      Delete
  5. Not hostile Jim. GN would call it a reality check. Just trying to keep you from wandering into la la land.

    The other commentator yesterday bragging about his profits on the clip/ammo sales is WAY DEEP into la la land. Is he going to sell off all the food he can't carry as well???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for inspiring today's article, and see my semi-apology included there.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete