Wednesday, February 20, 2013

clueless

Okay, here is today's article.  I just posted yesterday's twenty minutes ago ( just scroll down ) because of the Internet being down.

CLUELESS

As survivalists, we all gather round the backyard fire ( a wilderness fire would entail actual deprivation and inconvenience ) sip adult beverages, pat each other on the back and congratulate ourselves on how well prepared we are for the end of civilization and how all those other silly “sheeple” are clueless halfwits who obviously deserve to die since they have failed to stockpile three cases of MRE’s and don’t have three to twenty semi-automatic weapons.  Now, to me, this is a bit embarrassing because as survivalists we should indeed be far more aware than the average citizen about the lurking dangers, yet all we ever do, if indeed we do anything other than talk and plan and make lists, is half ass the effort and dink it up beyond recognition.  And please don’t get your panties in a bunch- I know I’m nearly as bad.  I might have far more years of food ( mainly because I didn’t waste my money on said semi-auto’s ) and have no debt and no mortgage and no car payment.  I might have all my electricity from solar and have a shelter I can survive in without heat.  But I also live five miles from fifteen thousand people.  I’m just as double humped as any of you posers living in a big city with your fancy bug out rigs.  I know it, and chose to ignore the danger.  But let’s not talk about THAT again.  That is painful navel gazing I’ve already covered a few times.  I want to talk about how clueless we ALL are, sheeple and survivalists alike.  Do any of us really understand how unsustainable our whole existence is?

*

Human nature pretty much assures that we all just keep accepting change and processing it as normal.  When times are good we accept it as a given and when things go to crap we just accept it as inevitable and underrate its importance.  This is obviously a coping mechanism.  You wouldn’t want to have adrenaline coursing through your body all day long, every day, tossing and turning in your bed in fear.  You process change by accepting it as The New Normal.  So what happens is any new change after that is processed separately and usually NOT added to the last change.  We do this with positive change, but just accepting it as a given.  We no longer think motor vehicles or Internet is a big deal, it is just there in perpetuity.  We don’t even look back ten years and realize all the change, we are too busy just accepting each daily change in its own separate compartment.  So when it comes to bad changes, the same process hurts us.  We don’t add it up, we merely process it one thing at a time.  We don’t connect the dots.  Or, if we do ( or more likely read how someone else has connected the dots ) once we’ve processed the lesson we quickly forget it or file and forget it.  Hell, I scream at you almost everyday connecting the dots and neither one of us takes it to heart.  We are too busy discounting its importance as that damn coping mechanism, trying desperately to just stay sane by underrating anything that isn’t an immediate danger.

*

This is kind of like our sexual drive.  You understand how those damn chemicals are making stupid decisions for you ( men-I’ll cash out my retirement account and buy the love of that large busted co-worker.  Women- I’ll stay with an abuser because he’ll protect me ) intellectually but you STILL do it.  You can understand the long term danger intellectually but you’ll ignore them still.  Knowing something is wrong is no guarantee it will be fixed.   In fact, knowing something is wrong can almost guarantee it will NOT get fixed or even be made worse because our coping mechanism assures us that the proper level of denial will be applied.  You know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a growing population added to a shrinking resource base equals a 100% certainty that a die-off is coming.  But we can’t cope with that fact because it would mean your next door neighbors five year old will soon be looking at you with famine glazed eyes and you can’t do a damn thing about it, not even spare a bullet for him.  Well, you could have fed him some wheat gruel but since you refused to admit it could happen you only stocked up on twenty cases of Denti Moore beef stew and you ran out of that a long time ago.  You had stockpiled for a natural disaster because you couldn’t accept the real truth.  You convinced yourself you were ready and all you were was in denial AFTER being educated.  The sheeple at least have the excuse that they never even wanted to be knowledgeable. 

*

All it takes is the ability to follow any problem to its logical conclusion.  But almost none of us can do that, can we?  We still look at it like a big game ( more coping ).  Oh, what fun to plan and play at civilization collapse!  What fun to write about it day after day for years, pretending enlightenment and understanding!  When money talks and bullcrap walks, none of us are very rich.  Now, don’t get me wrong.  Some of us will indeed survive because of our preps.  The odds alone ensure that.  But it will be more dumb luck than smarts on our part because most of us refuse to step out of harms way.  We will survive in spite of our insistence at grasping the normal Petroleum Age life, not because of it.  And there is no good answer.  Almost none of us, lacking obscene Yuppie Scum levels of money, can isolate ourselves sufficiently.  Well, we can, and cheaply.  But we all refuse to isolate ourselves without that level of money.  Then we could play at middle class while still staying hidden.  Not that any of it matters.  We’ll just use that coping mechanism to not give a crap- not really.

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

 

11 comments:

  1. Look at how you live, you may only be 5 miles from a population center, but in a die off, anyone with the sense to flee will just pass a travel trailer and a hippy bread van. A few well postioned caches should carry you past the more inquisitive ones while the rest wander off into the desert. Camo in a camper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somewhat agree with Anon...Yet even in Helco there are a few I'm sure who know of your blog and will "stop" by. Same as where I'm at there are many thousands more yet unlike the desert the swamp is much more intimidating to the yuppie sheeple. Not that I have any more chance at surviving than you...Greatest advantage which I have over you snowbunnies is the local flora which I've been studying for years. Much to eat in the wild here. Trick will be evasion.

    It's all in the adventure don'tcha know...we all gonna die yet it will give great satisfaction knowing that ya made it longer than others. Good nuff fer me to keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord Bison of the Great Basin;

    While you hate Kunstler, at least he put together a somewhat realistic portrait of what the future will look like in his series World Made by Hand/ Witch of Hebron. As you know his version of normal don't include anything powered by petroleum, which is the ultimate reality check for everyone concerned with keeping what remains of twentieth century living. Honestly who the hell gives a fig about any of that, provided that they one have enough to eat, clean reliable water, and a rate of fire that is above skilled archery. I really wish that you had gone into depth about black powder repeating firearms, exhorting the honest to goodness value in being able to have a sustainable source of propellants and projectiles, without the depressing notion that you need a twentieth century industrial base to keep the centerfire/rimfire ammunition flowing. Oh well, some of us know how and I guess that is enough to keep rolling into the twenty-second century. Keep keeping it real James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't hate Kunstler. I hate Yankees, but I give him a pass because of his great work in Long Emergency. I don't even hate The Druid Dude who is rabidly anti-doomers. I still respect his work. Not sure where you picked up I hate Kunstler. You must have read a minion comment. Also, I'd like to get more into blackpowder weapons but my knowledge base is weak. I do know you don't want to have smoke and smokeless together because of tactical disadvantage such as we had in the Cuban War. And, as soon as you go above flintlock level, or have large support weapons, you can't help but get into the need for an industrial base.

      Delete
    2. At least you have the required ingredients locally for BP.
      I'm sure there is a sulfur source somewhere close by, charcoal you can make and you pee the other ingredient out every day. You are correct in not going beyond flint lock as caps would be exceedingly hazardous to manufacture.

      PS you never seem to comment much on my comments...is it that they are too droll or do I not piss ya off enuff ? If so I can work on becoming more of an ass to equal your greatness lol

      Delete
  4. Jim,
    What fraction of the population dying off are you estimating surviving? A 50% die off? A 90% die off?
    Remember that even a 90% die off means that the average person has a 10% chance to make it. All that survivalists/preppers/paranoids/whatever we're calling ourselves this decade can do is attempt to improve their odds and those for those who they give a damn about. My gut is that you, with lots of food, some guns, and a low profile probably have around a 50-50 shot in a 90% die off. If you want better than that you probably need a network of allies nearby. Most people---by definition---will have considerably worse than that.
    Absolute certainty is for fools and salesmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a 90+% is realistic. See the bison blog for the article "Reindeer Games". Good reader input on that one also.

      Delete
    2. You've never said much about others within your sphere...
      Do ya got comrades to help boink momma and fend off the heathen hoard of cowboy yuppies or are you and she on your own ?

      Delete
    3. I've got one buddy I trust enough to stockpile extra food for. He's my back-up. Yeh, only one, but better than zero a few years ago. And yes, I'm trying to be better responding to comments. Sorry, its all just lack of time, nothing personal. Peace.

      Delete
    4. Oh the humility lol roger the trust thingy...time is after all our most precious commodity, understand that well I do.

      Delete
  5. DSM- for my mailing address, just go to my list of links at the end of each article. First one, Contact Info. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete