Wednesday, February 6, 2013

assuming rome


ASSUMING ROME

A loyal minion made comment that as long as the PetroDollar reigned supreme things could limp along, even for decades more.  Okay, granted.  This is all of our preferred outcomes.  I think.  Sometimes I can’t be too sure, because “business as usual” is looking a lot like indefinite Gitmo visits, drone assassinations here in the good Ol USA ( please remember you can love your country without consenting to the dictatorship in power ), soon to be 30%+ unemployment and a coming draught ( well, already here, but the effects are coming ) which while it isn’t directly the fault of the FedGov they did place the agri-corporations into centralized power and consolidating crop production is bad news in a drought ( the old strategy of global grain shuffling worked until the whole globe saw grain belt draught ) and the coming gun grab ( if you really think it is possible yet are have second thoughts about armed rebellion- I never advocate this as the bulk of entitlement cashing citizens will turn on you- just stockpile silver or gold bullion.  The black market will sell you a gun ).  So sometimes it seems a collapse would be better.  I know, I know, that is silly talk.  But if the end is inevitable better to get it over with before we descend into a Hobbesian Obammy RĂ©gime.  Unless we are already there.  Anyway, where I was going with this was that I’m still trying to make a case for panicking NOW.  This is a theme I keep coming back to, but as always I add something new to the mix each time so by all means keep reading.

*

The main thing is, we really have no way of knowing WHEN our petro-dollar empire is going to end.  I understand we all try to learn from the past to predict the future.  Outside channeling a little green alien through your crystal sold to you by a Gypsy which foretells the future, what else can you do?  But when you take the wrong period of history to learn from, you really get the wrong answer.  Now, I could just tell you that despite these last five years being the most productive in my life, eliminating all debt, eliminating being tied to the grid, eliminating rent or a mortgage, I just keep getting more and more uneasy and paranoid and while I should be relaxing all I can do is panic more.  But my gut feeling is not going to move you to prioritizing preps.  So I try, vainly perhaps, to explain why I feel this way.  Which is fraught with hazards because I’m spastically flailing about.  But, what can you do?  Today, I’m thinking that rather than looking through recent history, we need to go back to the Romans.  In the past I’ve hated their example of collapse because everyone tries to convince themselves it was a slow and manageable collapse.  I contend that it was not.

*

There is nothing new in my telling you that the Dark Ages following Rome is a dank and dark hole nobody has any real true understanding of.  They simply pull assumptions out of their ass.  My thinking is that if there were zero records, this indicates a huge die-off.  What I’m thinking today is that the time periods are similar to Rome and Western European Colonization.  I don’t tell you this to imply I’ve uncovered a Huge And Important Discovery That Will Explain All, but as a discussion/thinking point.  If Rome and its roughly 500 years of advanced civilization is an indicator, could we be facing a similar unfolding of events?  Look, for its day, Rome was a lot like our civilization.  There was a huge food surplus that allowed a leisure welfare class, politicians buying the vote through that, hyperinflation in the end, the inability to feed itself likewise, blah. Blah.  A lot of breaks were made from antiquity, and a lot of what we consider modern was ushered in then.  And all because it was a until-then unheard of surplus of energy.  Their whole way of life was one empire sucking in all the known worlds wealth.  This is exactly as we are today.  We had 500 years of mining the earths surplus energy.  It is the only life we know.  But eventually that supply ends.  The empire contracts and you enter a dark age as nobody can remember how to do things on a decentralized scale.  Or, if they do, they have no underlying infrastructure to do things that way.

*

Now, there is of course the whole “black swan” thing that could halt a decades long slow decline if we keep control of the oil.  Don’t be fooled that just because the other black swans were survivable that would be too ( if fact, the Jap radiation we are inhaling will kill most of us, but not for decades ).  But let’s not get away from the main discussion.  A fifteen to twenty generation long increase in wealth and energy finally, quickly collapsed when resource decline met population increase.  Same in Rome, same today.  If you insist on saying “this is how it happened before, so that’s what will happen again”, think 1500 years ago, not 50.  And of course, one of us is going to be wrong.  It very well could be me.  I might be full of crap.  But we aren’t gambling with my life, are we?  It is yours.  Do you feel comfortable saying, “the idiots in charge will protect me”?  Because aren’t they already showing every sign of throwing us all under the bus?  The rats in charge are abandoning ship, and you are on your own seeing to ALL of life’s necessities.  And you don’t want to bet that won’t happen for decades.  Not if we have a few centuries of Dark Age ahead.

*

Please excuse me if I sound a bit stilted today.  I’m sick as a dog since a co-worker infected us all.  I’ve got a wicked fever and can barely think straight.

END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM. It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side. But I think I'm worth it. My cut will be about $5. That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance. Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article. You can purchase anything, not just the linked item. Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire. As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase. Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Improvised Munitions Book, ( NOW FREE!!! Free, I tells ya! )
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted. For the obtuse out there.
 

10 comments:

  1. Get well Jim, try not to catch Pnomia in that cold assed cave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I’ve got a wicked fever and can barely think straight."

    This is a good line to end all blog posts with. For example, it's the line Rawles should have had for when some idiots start burning up ffl paperwork and the feds decide he incited a terrorist act... Or end all blog posts with "I've been adjudicated mentally incompetent by our court system, so any all comments above should not be taken seriously by any government entity."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you are sick Lord B. I just killed a nasty cold by taking 5 packs of lypospheric Vitamin C per day. lypo C is expensive but belongs in your supplies along with "fish" antibiotics. Remember that disease can kill you too!

    Bring on the reset

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring on the reset. Now there's a tag line. Hope you don't mind if I use it.

      Delete
  4. I take vit c twice a day, have for years. I figure that is better than waiting to get sick. Not saying yours won't work. I wonder if the "flu defense" would work in FedGov court. HA! And hey, the cave ain't cold. It's a steady "not freezing". Thanks, brothers. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zinc when you start to feel sick.

      Delete
  5. Nightshift here....Blogger lost me a long post.....short version...

    M-44s, awesome for the two I bought for $199, like new un-issued. 1040 rounds, 2 rifles, less than $700...with half non-corrosive ammo. 308 to 30-06 power for cheap. I have an old 1916 model 91 that has never had a hiccup. About 8 feet long but reliable...The M-44s have a 20" barrel and handle like a modern rifle.

    We are screwed. If you "worship" freedom, the Constitution, bible, independence, you are a "terror suspect" and Obammy will send in his killer drones. Sounds more and more like terminator each day...lol.

    The gun grab BS is killing me. I proudly sold my Poodle shooter, mags and ammo for double the money to a guy that had to have an AR and was getting a deal by todays insane prices. It was on paper. Thats how I bought the M-44s, ammo, and a huge swingset for my eight year old. What the heck, kids need fun. Still have money for more stuff. My weak spot is solar. I am hoping to hang on to my 10-22s, the only guns beside the M-44s that are on paper...time will tell what stupidity passes as law. They want all semis for starters......

    Jim, don't pay mind to any haters giving you grief, I have learned much from you and if wifey would play I would be much farther ahead. She is on board but still wants normal for now. A much more attainable normal.....She is pretty great. She is downsizing her house scheme to my higher end. Silly woman wants more than 750 sq feet. lol. You do a great service. Your wife should be commended for putting up with the pit, ect. She will have a head start. I have acres of firewood so we will hopefully stay warm.

    Sorry I haven't commented lately, but I am now the choir.....respectively yours...

    Still got that MS land for you.

    Nightshift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...Rome was a lot like our civilization. There was a huge food surplus that allowed a large leisure class, politicians buying the vote through that."

    Sorry to correct your history Lord Bison but the people of Rome never voted. The last people to vote were the Greeks, from whom the Romans sprang (the Greco-Roman world). After Alexander The Great(he was Greek) died, his 4 top Generals divided the known world amongst themselves. Rome eventually came from all of that (too long a tale to tell for a blog comment, but look it up and learn about Cleopatra, Marc Antony, Julius Ceasar etc.)

    The American Revolution was the very next time in history that "the people" could vote. Greece disintigrated into chaos as a result of their democracy. In the democracy of ancient Greece only men could vote. One can only imagine the apocalyptic chaos that would result if ever a nation came up with the idea that women should vote. Thank God that no nation would be that stupid. Then only fools would rule.

    BTW, the good-citizens of Rome were so sick of their rulers at the end that they actually welcomed the Barbarian invaders. A true fact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimbo!

    I'm honored. Actually I don't think everything will last another 40 years, I think by 2020 at the very latest but who really knows? I just wanted to point out that things were rather dark back in the late '70s. That's when Pops started prepping. He's gone now and things (on the outside) look better nowadays then back then. For instance there isn't any gas lines/shortages, inflation "appears" tame, and the World doesn't look down on our military. They fear it. True, that's all a facade but it doesn't feel like the end of the end just yet Gun-grab excluded...

    I'm still gonna prep but I'm also going to grow stuff. I have my first tree seedling sprouting. Pretty cool.

    Near the end of his life, Pops sorta stopped the whole prepping thing. I asked him why?
    He said he got tired and old.

    I think Pops invested too much into the 'collapse is coming soon' idea. I'm thankful that Pops did enlighten me to prepping but I want to prep and and also put down roots in a community. Off-grid, of course, but I want to have something more, be it chickens and a garden in the desert, or just a place to call Home with family and friends.

    The Petro Dollar will exist as long as the US Military is powerful. The US Military will be powerful as long as the Petro Dollar exists. Sorta Catch 22.

    Hope you feel better. You able to get to work? Might want to take a few days off. Maybe mooch a ride or two from the boss. Cuts down on your computer time but you gotta stay healthy.

    Peace, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOPS! Okay, I shouldn't have said "bought the vote". Must be subconsious error, assuming the vote was always there. How about "bought the consent, or bought the peace"? Damn, now I feel more retarded than usual. Thanks for the correction.

    ReplyDelete