Monday, November 12, 2012

roaring gladiators

ROARING GLADIATORS
I usually try to have some kind of military idiocy theme come Veterans Day, if for no other reason it pisses people off and it is something different.  As I’ve said time and again, I don’t consider myself a vet, not having served in combat ( but I also don’t hold others to that definition ).  I’m not going to take credit for just being part of the global police force.  Yes, you could make that charge against actual combat vets as they rarely protect our shores but instead conquer foreign lands, but I don’t get that stupid with my criticism.  One, most soldiers are about 18 years old and either dumb as dirt about the ways of the world or just don’t care about the Big Picture and instead want to kill things.  Two, there is a lot noble and good about the military despite the best efforts of the politicians and Officer Class to dick it all up.  Today I’d like to bitch and complain about the stupid jag off’s with the “Bin Laden death by Navy SEAL” and the like bumper stickers.  You know the ones, “Bin Laden 0, SEAL’s 1” type.  I am willing to bet a donut that none of these drivers were ever a Navy SEAL.  Or for that matter were even in the military.  Very few folks are these days.  While nearly 10% of the population served in WWII ( not all willingly ) and about 3% in Vietnam, today I don’t think it is even 1%.  They imagine it is enough to “support our military” by putting bumper stickers on their gas guzzlers.
*
First off, if you really want to help out those in uniform, how about riding a bicycle and having most of your electricity from solar panels?  Then the poor bastards probably wouldn’t need to get their testicles shredded by IUD’s.  We are over in the middle east mainly because of the oil.  Of course, while you’re at it, stop buying as much plastic Wal-Mart crap as possible because we are also securing the oil to ship goods over from China on shipping routes we patrol.  And secondly, how do you even imagine you did a damn thing to help kill Bin Laden?  Sure, you paid taxes which runs the military, but it is a lot less expensive to run a Special Forces team than it is to buy warships and nukes.  Are you also going to take credit when we use those nukes?  Basically, all you are doing is living vicariously through the warrior elite and trying to cover any guilt you might have for being part of the problem by supporting one of the solutions.  If you can call verbal “atta-boys” any kind of support.  Okay, I imagine the people who count, those Navy dudes, don’t give a crap like I do.  And if it doesn’t bother them I guess it shouldn’t bother me.  But it does anyway, and this is my blog, and you are silly enough to come back, so there you are.
*
On to other things, mainly because I’ve said my piece above and need to say something, anything, else, but not too much since this is a half day at work and I’m going home soon so you get a short article today.  I took the Ball And Chain into town on the weekend, our once a month car rental so I can keep her cabin fever to a minimum and I’m a hero and so keep getting laid, and not only was the rental not cheap, I got absolutely no satisfaction from the trip.  The day was cold and miserably so that sixth bike trip of the week was less than fun ( not that too many are enjoyable.  Despite the fitness and anti-stress aspect, it is still just exercise ).  And I got almost zero shopping done.  I have a main propane heater and a back-up heater, but the back up is a smaller camping unit so I wanted to return to my norm of having a main heater back-up.  But I won’t buy “Mr. Heater” units because those twats have already ripped me off twice on crap quality and I won’t sit still to be double humped again.  Just like Subaru.  They might have improved the quality since the 80’s but I already got ripped twice and won’t try again.  Anyway, no one in town had a heater.  Home Depot still had garden crap out, but nary a heater of any kind.  Snow on the ground and they think they are going to sell weed sprayers and compost?  Wal-Mart wasn’t offering their usual camping heaters ( they had a Mr. Heater Little Buddy, and at about no discount from everyone else [ last years prices, anyway]).  No huge deal, I can Amazon order it and as I already have two heaters I won’t freeze anytime soon.  But then I tried to go stock up on more ammo.  Nobody in town had Federal rimfire.  It was all Remington.  And why wouldn’t they have it in stock, at friggin $22 a box?  I looked in every single store that sold ammo.  Okay, I already have whatever, maybe 12k rounds ( I have actually lost count ).  If the Apocalypse happened today I still feel comfortable with what’s on hand.  But it is retail Christmas season.  And I’m having issues buying crap?  It just seems strange.
END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM.   It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side.  But I think I'm worth it.  My cut will be about $5.  That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance.  Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.

2 comments:

  1. You know James you are the 3rd person that has said something about lack of ammo.I was going to pick up a few rounds of rimfire and a box of 45's,not any to be found last week.Two more friends said they were haveing problems finding any as well.They are in other states so it is not just local.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on guys, we've been here before. You know what is going on. Obama bin Ladin got reelected and the ammo buying public smells ammo shortage again so in the process actually creates an ammo shortage. Federal 550 round boxes are gone here in South Carolina also. If you are scared then BUY WHATEVER IS AVAILABLE. Like Remington 225 packs. Almost the same price. They also have plenty of the overpriced CCI 1600 round containers. Though it does come with a handy plastic ammo box. Otherwise, wait til Federal catches back up. Hopefully before the SHTF.

    ReplyDelete