Tuesday, October 16, 2012

ddII

DDII
Diversified drivel, part two, because I STILL don’t have a divine revelation for something new and original and breathtaking and guaranteed to titillate and amuse.  Today, we’ll talk about that other book, gasoline consumption decline and how Baby Jesus loves me beyond measure.  “Bugging Out To Nowhere” by Paylie Roberts is a bit of a hens tooth, a survivalist novel written by a female that is actually very good.  Now, I’m not saying females can’t write well.  They can write just as well as men.  But females don’t write the same as men, and I almost always have a hell of a time reading a female author and enjoying it.  They just drone on and on and never stop about their feelings and about other peoples feelings and the whole damn story is about feelings.  Nothing wrong with feelings, as a background to understand the character, but I’d prefer a plot line and action rather than a tampon party getting in touch with my feminine side.  My feminine side can suck my junk.  Now, this is not to say the book is perfect.  It ain’t.  When it does try to be all macho and shoot-em-up it falls a bit flat.  And plot is a bit contrived in places to get things to fit.  But what it does well, very well, is to stay away from the dark side of survival and focus on homesteading and food production.  It is a very good introduction to all the complexities to truly feeding yourself, and it talks about how your average Joe ( or Josephine ) simply can’t be adequately prepared for a collapse ( so, a bit of hardship, hard work and improvising are necessary rather than just being a bastard humping son of a whore Yuppie Survivalist ).  Highly recommended.
*
I was reading over at Energy Bulletin ( good for a skim about once a week.  Not a great daily resource as it focuses too much on tree hugging and alternate currencies.  I might even pull them from my link list ) about how Italy has seen its gasoline consumption fall about twenty percent.  Not too long ago
was talking about how California had seen a twenty percent decline in gasoline consumption.  That might be pretty close to what the US as a whole is seeing if you take into account ethanol substitution and total decline in fuel use, but we needn’t focus on that.  Just take the first two.  Both places have high taxes, but I don’t think that effects consumption.  People who buy cars know how much the cost of gas is before they make lifestyle changes needing fuel such as where they live in relation to work and what kind of vehicle they drive.  To a certain extent they are just paying a geology tax ( a more desirable place to live in their minds ) and gas tax is but a mere blip along all the other higher costs.  My point is higher taxes don’t force you to consume less as much as they decide you if you will consume at all.   The 20% decline is purely a reflection of affordable fuel and their economic activity.  The contraction is clearly showing up in fuel use in decline.  If people had jobs, it wouldn’t matter what cost transportation was, up to a point.  While $4 gas is insane, compared to most other costs of living it is still quite affordable.  If folks aren’t putting money into the more affordable aspect of their budget, budgets must be in free fall.  I have a hard time seeing $5 ( you know something is wacky when only two refineries going down drive gas up 25% ) gas as a hardship to Californians if they think they can afford a quarter of a million dollar home, to put it in perspective.
*
As I’ve said before, I’m not really religious.  It took me twenty years to go from an atheist to an agnostic.  But I simply can’t dismiss it as a superstition when certain events happen.  Sometimes it seems that only divine intervention can explain things.  Such as my move to Elko.  I was only thinking of being within driving distance to my parents, having no zoning prohibiting my travel trailer, and a town big enough to offer jobs.  Alas, once I got here I discovered it was a lot better than I had thought.  Outside the winters ( average low, teens.  Not unheard of, single digits days at a time.  Once in a blue moon, twenty below ) the only issue is the disappearing snow pack ( but that is also an issue from central California to the other side of the Rockies ) and the bulging population growth here ( relative of course ).  More and more, collapse/decline wise, it looks like I was almost guided here.  But I know that isn’t as convincing to everyone, so allow me to give a much better example.  One day not too long ago, a few well meaning but ignorant Jesus Freaks ( it is one thing to be religious for guidance and comfort, quite another to go through life with a crucifix shoved up your ass ) drug in a total low life of a bum.  You know the kind, desperately impatient to kill themselves with booze, hasn’t showered for years, looks like a friggin zombie.  Of course they chose to do this thirty minutes prior to my clock out time.  After a long time, evidently trying to figure out what the soap was used for, he stumbled out of the showers.  Leaving a huge area covered with specks of what I can only conclude was fried feces.  It sure didn’t look like mud.  Along with “perhaps mud” covered pants and underwear.  Totally gross, and it made me late going home ( we don’t get overtime, we get extra time off later that pay period ).  Within a week, I received rumor he had finally killed himself with an overdose.  No big deal, I thought nothing of it.  However, last week another guy came in drunk and snuck into the shower right before lunch, and left multiple piles of crap in the shower ( along with crap smeared clothes draped everywhere ).  Hey, I need to eat lunch to replace calories used hauling hundreds and thousands of pounds of donations daily.  And I almost couldn’t that day.  A week later, THAT guy is dead of alcohol consumption.  That’s twice you dukey in the shower I clean, you die within a week.  How can that NOT be divine intervention?
END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM.   It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side.  But I think I'm worth it.  My cut will be about $5.  That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance.  Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.

 

6 comments:

  1. If I shit in your shower I fully expect to be killed. Suicide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet jumping Jeebus - I used to work in a call center for the most hated, predatory credit card issuer that ever was. ( First USA Bank) Your job sucks worse than mine did. Is it time to send out a few resumes? Long may your hair shimmer and use lots of bleach and dishsoap cleaning up after walking biohazards. Who knows what those friggin zombies have!

    Hail Darwin

    ReplyDelete
  3. How bout a nice discussion on what the average "yuppie survivalist" does with his expired food. Once he (or she, don't whine chippies) have examined their stockpiled 4+ year old Dinty Moore stew and cans of fruit they are (or will) find that expiration dates equal less than desirable (but still edible) food. Is it dumpster time or donation time? I understand that cap't yuppie will likely just trash the food, but maybe not

    -DSM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, Jim! That's a hell of an ending for today's article! I was looking forward to Lord Bison's normal, uplifting, spiritual message.

    Be careful, though. Gloating about your newly discovered powers is bad karma. Next guy might expire in that shower.

    Maybe the shower is the evil one... It can't be too happy. Bums crapping in it and Jimbo cleaning it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...bucking for the shower supervisor job for FEMA?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manic Bisonian PreacherOctober 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM

    You need to stock up on some Zyklon B, m'lord

    ReplyDelete