Monday, September 17, 2012

asshats with AR's

ASSHATS WITH AR’S
I couldn’t believe it the other day when I saw that Wally World was selling AR-15’s.  On the one hand it gladdened my heart that simple capitalism triumphed over political correctness ( Wal-Mart has never been a total sell-out to the flaming commie mule member lickers like K-Mart, but they did try to soften the blow to the bleeding hearts by at least only selling wood furniture rifles [ so less evil! ] and requiring any handgun sales to be special order ), yet on the other hand it is the last nail in the coffin that is Wal-Mart selling out its traditional core customers to cater to the vile Yuppie Scum.  Oh, they put a bit of lipstick on the pig and still have a few token items for the rednecks and poor bitches, but by and large all you now see is the Arkansas version of Target.  Most of the generics are  gone, replaced by brand names.  I don’t give two good gottdamns that they sell the cheapest version of Tide soap or Kraft mac and cheese.  I’ve never bought brand name food and toiletries and so that means nothing to me.  I care that the generics are either gone or are total crap and so useless.  That is why the bastards are now only getting 15-20% of my grocery dollar rather than the 100% they got five or six years ago.  Which is a good thing I suppose.  If Wal-Mart went out of business tomorrow ( almost a guarantee- I wouldn’t wager on the time frame, but I would put money on their bankruptcy within my lifetime [ a perfectly safe bet as I wouldn’t need to pay after I died ] ) it will be almost no transition to shop elsewhere.
*
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM.   It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side.  But I think I'm worth it.  My cut will be about $5.  That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance.  Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Now, don’t get your panties in a bunch, but you know how I feel about both Yuppies and AR-15’s.  I rarely meet a Yuppie I like ( although I’m open if you are just one that is misinformed and are willing to change ) but I do have slightly better feelings for the AR.  As designed and implemented, a total useless piece of crap.  The design is fundamentally flawed and you put your life on the line by using one.  IF, and only IF, you use this weapon as an assault weapon with a high rate of fire, you will die because it is a piece of crap.  The gas system is designed to jam your rifle.  However, if you use this not as a machine gun but as a mid range sniper rifle, the gun is perfect in a lot of ways.  Being light, any member of the family may use it.  Having zero felt recoil ( I loved the Basic demonstration where a shot is fired using the drill sergeants crotch for the buttstock placement ) you will become a better shooter, as can your ten year old daughter or your 100 pound wife.  The ammo is about half the cost as 30 caliber.  And, there will be very few wasted shots ( very important in a post apocalypse logistics environment ) because of the guns accuracy.  Also, this is about the cheapest semi-auto you can buy ( the Rugar might be slightly cheaper- although not if you assemble an AR yourself out of parts- but I’ve heard of too many issues with parts needing to be sent back to the factory ).  Back in the late 80’s I was offered the chance to buy an AR for $500 and it was a good deal financially.  Today, because of the patent expiration and the profusion of manufactures, the rifle is under $900 new retail.  Very few other weapons have seen such a low price increase.
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
Amazon "Frugal Survivalist" for those who can’t access the graphic links.
*
Again, I do NOT advocate an AR as a carbine.  If you tax the gas system it will fail on you.  Use that system sparingly, as a marksman rather than an idiot hosing an area down with lead, and you will have few if any problems.  Plus, as a sniper you need far less in the way of magazines.  This puts a ceiling on your costs.  I wouldn’t buy your rifle at Wal-Mart.  Use a local dealer. They won’t charge all that much more and you then establish a relationship with a moral merchant.  Yes, Wal-Mart is a necessary evil when it comes to a lot of items you can’t get as cheap elsewhere.  In a time of skyrocketing food and fuel prices you do what you must.  But a recurring expense is one thing, a one time purchase quite another.  Go to your Mom and Pop gun store. 
*
Wal-Mart is run by a bunch of idiots.  You go from a growing customer base ( the poor ) to a dwindling one ( middle class ).  Your profit margins improve, then you consign yourself to bankruptcy because your entire business model ( which included the cost of expansion- you know, stuff like real estate and buildings and a truck fleet ) is based on volume rather than margin.  If you do plan on buying your AR there ( I’m not saying you should buy an AR, only that if you feel you must buy one there are compelling reasons to justify your decision ) I wouldn’t wait too damn long.  It can be any day going out of business with these knuckleheads in charge.  Now, on to other business.  A minion sent me a link to a great article.
In short, the guy shot a thawed turkey at 250 yards with a 22 and not only placed most shots ( using a mil-dot scope ) but also got five to seven inch penetration.  The turkey had on multiple layers of heavy clothing AND the wind had a lot of force with gusts that day.  It will make you think twice about rimfire ammo.
END
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.
 

10 comments:

  1. My grandson shoots 3/8" groups at 50 yards with Aguila SSS 60 gr from 10-22 with EABco 1:9 twist barrel.
    I shoot 3/4" groups at 50 yards with Remington subsonic 38 grain from Marlin 25N 1:16 twist barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bison, you've convinced me that the .22 RF is a better combat round than the 5.56 poodle popper. Think about all the rounds (39 grain bullet)you can carry compared to that big 55 grain poodle popper round.
    There are many semi-automatic rifles that function much better than the plastic AR platform. Never heard of a jam in a nylon 66 Remington.
    You can buy all kinds of good used .22 semis for under $150.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Anon. Vlad also knows.
      250 rounds of .22 LR weighs only 2 pounds. Take a squirrel's eye out in the top of a Blackjack, or a commie's shirt button at a hundred.

      Rule 22

      Delete
    2. Inspect a .22 very closely if you are buying used, as a lot of them have had the barrels shot out of them. Don't believe the hype about how easy it is to put a rifled sleeve in one that has been shot out, either!

      Delete
  3. Sorry this is off subject but thought I would post it. Looks like your neighborhood. This sight has pretty good selection of cheap land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Jim, one more time. My I pad won't copy and paste to the blog???
    It is www.land central.com 1.14 acres 9 miles Southwest of Elko, Nevada.
    Property #7257
    Sorry I couldn't doit right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess inexpensive is relative, but these folks seem to be a might pricey to me. Buy thru my guy if you want Elko land. Links at the end of article.

      Delete
  5. James;

    I'm digging the prospect of the rapid proliferation of semi-automatics among the populace along with the same proliferation of metallic cartridges that accompany the same. Now only if the Retail Giant would sell AK-47's and their spawn, then small arms proliferation would get to the point that no power on Earth could take them all. Every Blade of Grass has the opportunity of coming true! Cheers to the Retail Giant that destroyed Mom and Pop retail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re rifle with shot out barrel.
      Crowning the muzzle restores accuracy.
      http://tinyurl.com/9vj9jb3
      Accuracy is degraded by cleaning with a rod from the muzzle. The rod dings the lands and grooves at the muzzle. Clean from the breech end with a rod. Rest muzzle on floor. Do not allow rod to pass through the muzzle. Clean the muzzle with a QTip. It is best to clean from the breech with a bore snake or patch on a thong.

      Delete