Thursday, August 23, 2012

yeh, but

YEH, BUT
Yeh, but.  The very words crawl along my spine like a spiked serpent sent from its master Lucifer ( not a big fan of snakes who obviously have to be spawns of Satan because I can’t figure out any good reason for them to be here.  Okay, so they eat, say, mice.  So do cats and birds.  What do we need that snake for?  We’re inclined towards species extinction, let’s get rid of an animal we have no use for.  As opposed to like buffalo which make tasty eating and are a much better use of the prairie than suburbs or soy beans ).  Now, I understand that the job of a step parent is as close to thankless as you can get.  The only other position that is worse is that of husband.  You can work all day, come home and do chores, then instead of being able to relax for a few hours you must endure hours long screeching as the wife shares her day with you which as far as you can figure out mainly consists of sitting around eating bonbons and watching soap operas.  Anyway, I know a stepdad is a position entailing abuse and disfavor.  No matter.  You ain’t being nice because you like the little fool but because mom is to be wooed and wined and dined so you can tap that ass.  Until the kid grows up and the wife doesn’t really need you anymore so she starts eating bonbons and that ass not only is the size of Cleveland but it also seems to be permanently closed for business.
*
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to achieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM.   It turned out really nice- much nicer to read than online. It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side.  But I think I'm worth it.  My cut will be about $5.  That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance.  Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Well, I really did like my stepdaughter.  She was pretty cool people.  A pain in the ass, you had to watch her like a hawk around anything valuable, but I always thought of her like another real daughter.  But the one thing that annoyed me beyond endurance was her favorite saying, “yeh, but…”.  You tell her something and she was “yeh, but…” and she went off on some tangent why she might agree with you but in this case it didn’t apply and here was the lengthy explanation as to why.    “I thought you told me you would clean your room?” “Yeh, but you see I was really busy and I was doing this other thing Mom said and then it was bedtime and blah, blah, blah”.  You get the picture.  Well, the other day I’m reading The Globes Premier Yuppie Scum Survival Site and here was a guy talking about how he was as ancient as dirt and about as poor as same, so he chose the rimefire as a defense arm so that he could constantly practice affordably and hence achieve face/neck hits and make up for the rounds natural weakness.  You would think this was a pretty straightforward and logical plan.  I thought it was brilliant.  If your big, bad, mighty and righteous Dirty Harry killing machine kicked like a mule, you couldn’t hit anything so the stopping power was wasted.  And if the box of ammo was too expensive, you never could practice to be able to hit anything.  Immediately, the chorus of “Yeh, But’s” started.
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
http://bisonpress.com/affiliatebooks.html
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
Our intrepid site owner opined that while he didn’t agree with the rimfire as a defensive round he felt that if you had 30 rounds in your pistol you just might stand a chance of survival.  Well, color me an ignorant bastard since I never went to uptown school, but didn’t the guy just say he was poor and he was practicing for precision placement?  As in, I can’t afford a five hundred dollar pistol with $50 mags and I don’t need all that many shots to tear out his throat.  I guess when all you preach is expensive survival you can’t conceive of anything cheap working.  I understand that the unstated standard of post-apocalypse defense is to scare the opposition with a terrible noise from irreplaceable ammunition, but not all of us can afford to be so well equipped.  We might actually just choose to make every shot count.  Then, the next day, cheered on by their prophet, the readers start chiming in with a deafening chorus of “yeh, but’s”.  One guy blathers on about how they really suck for power but they were far better than a rimfire and lists a bunch of barely pistol calibers like the 380.  Do these people actually absorb what they are reading?  The point is both controllability and affordability.  Which is the rimfire and nothing else.  The original author didn’t talk about the cheapest standard centerfire pistol round, he was making an explicit case for rimfire.  “Yeh, but, see, the 22 just won’t do it.  You need X, Y or Z round as a minimum.  Buy in bulk, then it will only be ten cents a round instead of twenty.”  You humping moron.  What if you can’t afford ten cents a round but only three?  Was this not clear enough? 
*
I’m not trying to be too harsh.  I’m sure we are all guilty of Yeh, But’s even if we try to actually pay attention.  But it seems to me that this example highlights both dogmatic blindness and a serious lack of imagination.  These people seem to be in a Happy Place that could prove a bit dangerous.  When you are so wedded to one idea and one only, you have no idea what to do when everyone else’s reality doesn’t sync up with yours.  If spending money, an impossible amount of money, is your only way of solving problems, you might be in trouble come hyperinflation, job loss, prolonged bank holidays or grid down.  This kind of thinking just simply chaps my ass. 
END
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.
 


17 comments:

  1. I'm convinced many people who call themselves survivalists use it as a rationale for the purchase of expensive recreational doo-dads, including firearms. Yuppie executives play golf on the weekend with their buddies because they "have to for their career". Yuppie survivalists have to play army man because "their life will depend on it some day". The key part of the rationale is that you need to buy the best or you are going to die. If this is your motivation for survivalism, why would anyone endorse using rimfire for survival? Of course, I also believe many of these folks probably don't have very good long-range sources of basics like food or water, just lots of doo-dads.

    Having reviewed what meager data there is, I've come to believe the main benefit of the self-defense firearm is the deterrence of others not wanting to get shot by that things you have in your hands. Rimfire serves this purpose well, plus you at least have a chance of it working if you actually have to shoot. I'd rather compromise on cartridge selection than on my food and water supply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way. The guy stated his reasons why and nobody seemed to grasp his meaning. Three .22's to the face will stop anybody. Even if you don't kill them they will get real tired of the sensation of being pounded in the forehead. The Christjanistan crowd dropped the ball on that one.-SemperFido

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a survivor, your arms should be appropriate to gathering game and deferring attackers - it's not like you're going to plan to get into a battle. I read recently that two long guns for the (eastern) homestead should be a 20 gauge shotgun and a .22 rifle as they are suitable for all family members, young and old/infirm. A 20-gauge gives you 75% of the power of the larger 12 gauge while having about half of the recoil and can be found in sizes appropriate to the smaller stature members of your clan.
    Both will serve admirably for making meat and defense of your home-place, with about a 100 yard range for both with the right ammo.
    For close quarters defense, a .22 pistol with accurate shot placement (a triple tap to the neck/face) ought to serve well.
    If the attacker is too far away for accurate handgun fire, use your long guns and he most likely won't come closer.
    Practice to keep your skills sharp will be much less expensive with .22's. You can usually find 20-gauge rounds for the same price as 12's and should it come to reloading, powder and shot will go a lot further with the smaller shot shells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If can be found, the Savage 24 combination firearm makes for a great foraging gun. Break open single shot capacity for each but you have them SIMULTANEOUSLY, choosing one or the other within a couple of seconds. Very nice for foraging, but a zombie crowd pleaser - not so much.

      Delete
  4. Alternatitves

    Perhaps, however...

    Indeed, except...

    Of course, unless...

    Are 22 revolvers cheap? I ask, because the one thing I don't like about my 22 auto is that it occassionaly misfires, and also occasionaly fails to cycle. Seems like a revolver would take care of that.

    The number one critical factor in effectiveness is shot placement.

    I saw a study somewhere that even had the smaller loads being more effective than the larger rounds. You could hypothesise that it was because follow up shots were easier because of low recoil, but my guess is that the data sets are too small, and that when bullets start flying at short range it gets pretty random in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pawn shop 22 revolvers- the kind they made in the 50's and the last flake of plating fell off about the time JFK was killed by the bankers. After about a half box of ammo you can get a feel for where they will hit. Forget the sights, they are long out of alignment. Those are cheap. And I'm comfortable with them. I've had too many semi jams from ALL types of firearms to think they won't be dangerous. I have no idea what today's revolvers would cost.

      Delete
    2. Jim if that is a MG save it for trade. I have one and it is off on the timing and the pin only connects 3/100 times. Cabela's ad this week has a Heritage Rough Rider Rimfire for 150 single action US made. I don't know the quality but Ruger single six comes with 22lr and 22 mag cylinders together for about 3X the price.Ragnar

      Delete
    3. Sorry bad gun is RG miami,FL not MG

      Delete
    4. Cimarron Arms "Plinketron" six-round .22LR SA Revolver is currently US $195.00 new from Cimarron Arms, Fredericksburg, Texas. Just had an acquaintance pick his up from a local establishment.

      Delete
  5. Nightshift adds....I have a buddy who is of the philosophy that his long range bolt will get him a poodle shooter when the time comes. He is a 308 Mauser man though. Of course he also has a Ma Deuce ....belt fed 50 caliber and an APC to mount it on. Don't ask, just glad he is on my side.

    A 22 is less than ideal but if your plan is to avoid confrontation it is a fine food getting round. Beats the heck out of a sharp stick or as your highness preaches...a muzzle loader.

    Look up long range shooting with 22s on youtube. Have some interesting amature testing.

    Your loyal Minion

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a young family at 6yr 3yr and 3 months. If the dollar falls by April 2013 as Max Kaiser states my wife and 6yr would be comfortable with .22 the others would start with that as well. I would have to use the big ones until they catch up. I thank you great haired one. I share your wisdom with many. I am making all my friends buy through your links. I hope to see you in Valhalla because it seems to be closer every year to us than Elko, Nevada. Do you still favor black berkies after the recall or should I search out pro-pur by Alex Jones. Do you listen to his show by chance? I never heard you mention him. Your loyal serf in trainng from SE Michigan. Lake Erie pirate in waiting but no eyeliner or sodomizing for me. I need to learn to sail only 14 miles from the lake of fresh water. After running out of canned meat,wheat,beans,rice and qunioa at the compound.Thanks, Ragnar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just plain ol Berky filters. Hadn't heard of the black Berky recall. Never did Alex Jones. No reason, I don't know if he's good or bad. Max Kaiser? Hadn't heard of him. I think I'm in a bubble up here.

      Delete
    2. http://www.berkeywater.com/Element.pdf
      www.infowars.com or www.prisonplanet.tv
      You can download his shows to a "big lots" $15 mp3 player and listen to his program.

      Delete
  7. Hah, I get that 'Yeah but' argument from my 11 year old daughter ALL the time, annoying as hell I'll agree.

    No one wants to get shot with anything. One thing I will agree with .22 for defense crowd - you have an opportunity to practice a lot more with it than the center fires, just in cost alone. Provided the practice is done one cycle at a time (draw-point-shoot. Reholster. Draw-point-shoot. Reholster. Repeat).

    If you are just shooting magazine after magazine without the muscle memory, you aren't getting much help. Imo at least.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, but... nothing.

    That last paragraph says it all. I don't care how well armed a person is or how well trained, if a person isn't flexible in their thinking, they won't survive when things get tough. The nice thing, as I heard Mayor Guiliani say he found out on 9/11, is that if you're prepared for a lot of different scenarios, you can pick and choose your response even if what actually happens wasn't one of the scenarios you planned for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim,
    If all I had is a slingshot to hunt and defend myself then I would use a slingshot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeh, but haven't people been preparing for this stuff since the 70s oil crisis? It never seems to happen, just sort of a long very slow grind down. At this rate things will 'collapse' someday and we wont even notice.

    ReplyDelete